Matt Eberflus hired as Bears head coach

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
because we know the Vikings wanted to hire Poles. If Poles was this much of an Eberflus fan he would have told them as well in his first interview with them And they would have setup an interview with Eberflus as well.

Nothing common sense says Poles wanted Eberflus this bad. George wanted this guy, and he is the owner so he gets what he wants. He told you in the press conference he was going to do this.
Maybe they did and he declined it. You have no idea. The Fields effect is real.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hoge and Jahns said during their Podcast yesterday that Eberflus had two interviews with the Bears before Poles had one. It sure sounds like Poles was given full autonomy…..on a list of finalists pre-approved by ownership.

You're discounting one other possibility:

It's entirely possible that the Bears came away impressed with Eberflus, and when looking at general managers, Poles on his own named Everflus as one of the guys he would like to take a strong look at with the intent to hire.

This would have helped Poles get the job, and Everflus would not have been forced on him.

It would also remain consistent with his desire to pick the head coach by himself.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
That is not the question. You are claiming that a QB playing for a D minded HC would be ruined if his OC left.

So again I am asking you to name the QBs where this happened.

Again, Bellichek has and OCs leave and his QB and O where fine. So has Carroll. So has Tomlin. So has Harbaugh. So I have given you examples that show an OC leaving a D or ST minded HC and it being fine. So there is currently no evidence presented that shows this is an issue for a coach of any persuasion.
nope I never claimed that would happen. I said that I wanted an offensive minded HC because if your OC gets plucked nothing really changes for your QB.. and that consistency seems like an ideal situation for a QB who is young and developing. Now if we already had a quality experienced QB then it would be less of an issue. and maybe Fields can get enough experience and get some years under his belt before our OC gets plucked so it wont have the same impact on him changing OCs. But for me.. why take the risk?

I never said that it could never work with a defensive minded HC.. I mean we went to the superbowl with Lovie so obviously it can be done. My thought process is because this is a QB driven league and the rules are slanted towards the offense then in my opinion our emphasis should be also slanted to the QB and offenses side of the ball.. I think mirroring what KC has done seem like a good blueprint to follow. so when you are asking me about examples you cant get any more accurate with my thought process then with Nagy and Reid..

I wanted McDainals as the HC, we mirror what KC did but with McDainals as the HC/ offensive mind. so no matter what happens that offensive mind will always be there to develop fields, and the system will always be the same for him regardless who the OC is.

This is my OPINION on what I wanted to happen. I never made any proclamation on what would happen, In fact Remy didnt you have the same thought process with McDainals for HC as well? (or am I thinking of someone else?)

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Not if it prevents sustained success.

Don't get me wrong---I'd take it over abject failure, for sure. But the concern over rotating OCs isn't a dumb worry.
Yes it is.

If our new OC is successful and ultimately gets a HC gig, it isn’t going to be in 2023.

You want a structure in which people are good enough to be promoted and the people underneath them are good enough to move up into those roles.

The best coaches have their coaching trees because their coordinators are successful in both developing players and developing their staff.

This is not the same as Lovie Smith going through Shoop and Shea, etc. etc. because he couldn’t find anybody who knew his ass from a hole in the ground

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
But you aren’t seeing the upside to having a O.C that is not the head of his team and play caller. Like we’ve said. If in 3 years the O.C. Is “plucked” it mean he has done a great job ……meaning the quarterback is far along and is comfortable in running an offense. The head coach hires another like minded O.C. because he smart enough to realize it pays to keep running an offense the QB is familiar with….and the H.C. has performed his duties…which is the Overseer of the whole team. It makes more sense this way. Especially with a brand new quarterback. The head coach doesn’t need to be bogged down with 1 player he needs to be on top of everything.
yes and with the KC philosophy we are not losing that great OC that developed and put a system in place for our QB.. That OC that is so great is actually the HC..

mecha

Liked Posts:
52263auburnshaneday.jpg

Bearsgonewild

Liked Posts:
Crossed my mind. Why was Polian so mad? It's not his team. And after the process, he will be gone.

Why help a team, possibly destroy teams you have worked for, like the Colts?

Did he want to poison the Bears? Would he have got a bonus if "his guy" was hired?

It's always strange with the Bears.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
Apologies for paraphrasing your shitty hot take.

I understand your argument fine, I just think it's a dumb hill to choose to die on.

Oh boo-hoo, someone might want to poach our OC if the offense has a good year or two.... What a terrible problem to have, how ever will the franchise possibly recover?!?! Fuck outta here.

Hiring an "offensive guru" as HC isn't some guaranteed cheat code for sustained offensive success. Nagy literally just showed you first hand how it isn't.

In fact I'll argue it's potentially worse. Especially when you get another egomaniac like Nagy that wants to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by passing the ball 60 times a game and is stubbornly married to his "scheme" and would rather get fired than deviate from his precious scheme.

At least with Eberflus he won't be married to a offensive scheme and should be more willing to play complimentary football (i.e. - actually utilize David Montgomery) and adapt and change coarse if things aren't working.

Bottom line is your complaining about an insignificant problem that's actually a good problem to have. If the Bears are getting poached it means Field and the offense just had a great year. Awesome, I'll gladly take that problem.

If Eberflus is smart he'll have hired other coaches on offense that have been preparing themselves to take over the OC role should the current OC get poached. You then promote from within and they continue running the same scheme they ran last year with the new guy adding his own wrinkles to it.

It's hardly the end of the world situation you're trying to make it out as.
what hill to die on? I posted my opinion and just have backed up my reasoning on why i came to that conclusion nothing more nothing less..

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Crossed my mind. Why was Polian so mad? It's not his team. And after the process, he will be gone.

Did he want to poison the Bears? Would he have got a bonus if "his guy" was hired?

I guess he was just trying to get his buddies hired. Fuck Polian.

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I agree on the last part, the Bears are strange. I think Polian was paid to do a job and he did it. I don’t think he had outside or other motivations. We may or may not like the pick but I don’t think there is anything underhanded.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
You're discounting one other possibility:

It's entirely possible that the Bears came away impressed with Eberflus, and when looking at general managers, Poles on his own named Everflus as one of the guys he would like to take a strong look at with the intent to hire.

This would have helped Poles get the job, and Everflus would not have been forced on him.

It would also remain consistent with his desire to pick the head coach by himself.
And you discount George and his goof troop. It rivals your very own good troop

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:

Was he actually mad? Or did some yahoo just make a tweet with that in it and the naive (as they do) run with it.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The manufactured outrage around this place the last 24 hours has been fantastic.
I am not so sure it’s manufactured. I think it’s real and perpetual but totally misguided.

I think the reasons for outrage are manufactured.

We have at least one here who has no idea what really happened behind the scenes but is determined to bitch and he has literally posted the same speculation in several threads without a shred of evidence to back it up.

Sad.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
nope I never claimed that would happen. I said that I wanted an offensive minded HC because if your OC gets plucked nothing really changes for your QB.. and that consistency seems like an ideal situation for a QB who is young and developing. Now if we already had a quality experienced QB then it would be less of an issue. and maybe Fields can get enough experience and get some years under his belt before our OC gets plucked so it wont have the same impact on him changing OCs. But for me.. why take the risk?

I never said that it could never work with a defensive minded HC.. I mean we went to the superbowl with Lovie so obviously it can be done. My thought process is because this is a QB driven league and the rules are slanted towards the offense then in my opinion our emphasis should be also slanted to the QB and offenses side of the ball.. I think mirroring what KC has done seem like a good blueprint to follow. so when you are asking me about examples you cant get any more accurate with my thought process then with Nagy and Reid..

I wanted McDainals as the HC, we mirror what KC did but with McDainals as the HC/ offensive mind. so no matter what happens that offensive mind will always be there to develop fields, and the system will always be the same for him regardless who the OC is.

This is my OPINION on what I wanted to happen. I never made any proclamation on what would happen, In fact Remy didnt you have the same thought process with McDainals for HC as well? (or am I thinking of someone else?)
The risk is not hiring the best HC you can by looking for only an offensive guy. The same as reaching for a position is the draft. You end up with a worse team overall.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Here is what I do know, the Vikings very much wanted Poles as their GM, I’m sure they would let him have his preferred coach. So why wasn’t Eberflus brought into their building?

Again the Bears scheduled a 2nd interview with Eberflus before even interviewing Poles one time. I’m supposed to believe this was Poles letting them know via back channels but he didn’t tell the Vikings the same thing? That’s a huge stretch.

No the more logical conclusion is that the committee picked a top 3, and let Poles choose from that group.
Could it be the Vikings did what you’re accusing the Bears of? Not allowed the new GM to pick coaching candidates?

Hmmmmm??

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Hoge and Jahns said during their Podcast yesterday that Eberflus had two interviews with the Bears before Poles had one. It sure sounds like Poles was given full autonomy…..on a list of finalists pre-approved by ownership.
Well it’s clear that some people believe that to be the case and they’re not going to change their mind and matter what anyone says so what is the point of talking about over and over?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Well it’s clear that some people believe that to be the case and they’re not going to change their mind and matter what anyone says so what is the point of talking about over and over?
Dat da bearsz are cheap!

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
what hill to die on?

You know, the hill you're currently sitting on while you whine about potentially having an OC poached...

I posted my opinion and just have backed up my reasoning on why i came to that conclusion nothing more nothing less..

Seems to me like you're just using the coaching hire as an excuse to low-key cunt about Fields.