Offseason Junk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But in reality it is a you want this?... Ok well what will you give me?

I believe that a international draft is a plus to give up in return force teams to spend at 100M.

180 is a joke. 200 should be a fair 'cap'. Make 2nd year violaters pay heavy. 1 year is a oops hand slap and we will use the off to get under tax. 2 years in a row is blatant.

So ya there is grounds for talk. They need a arbitration process.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
But the best method in this case is find common ground. Hammer out the details. Push the rest to a one year negotiation extension.

Then do it again. Find common ground hammer it out and push the rest up.

It creates progress and a willingness to find common solutions vs yelling over a fence.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL@CSF77

MLB really has you hooked, huh?

In 94, I didn't miss it for even a second. Found all kinds of things to do that I had been neglecting just to watch freaking baseball. You got summer all year long in SD, we only have it for a few short months here. At least for one year, I made those months count. It won't go down like 94 again, but if it did....it wouldn't bother me.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Is correa gonna be a darvish situation? He's clearly viewed coming into FA as one of the top guys for obvious reasons. But I'm sitting here looking at teams and idk man... who's gonna go nuts for him? People are pushing the yankee narrative but they have two top 50 SS prospects one of whom is in AAA and one who's in A+ and they are already sitting on $210 mil in payroll. Like sure it's the yankees and money often doesn't matter but... surely they can spend money wiser than Correa or realistically any SS. To me it seems more likely for them to go with someone like Simmons on a short term deal to fill a spot until those guys are ready or just give Torres another go and hope he's good enough until they are ready.

Houston would be an obvious potential landing spot. And depending on how things go maybe they make the most sense.... but devils advocate here... they are sitting at $168.5M opening day payroll. Last year their opening day payroll was highest in team history at $187.6 mil. So, if Correa is gonna get $30 mil a year they will smash that. Not to mention houston also has a top 50 prospect in Jeremy Peña in AAA who plays SS.

Looking through the rest of baseball... idk man. Like maybe the Angels? I feel like they'd be more focused on pitching given their starters gave up a team 4.78 ERA but their SS play last year was pretty god awful. And unlike the two teams above they don't have any obvious near term prospects who make any sense.

And the other thing to consider here is that it's not just Correa. Story is also still out there. So if the potential landing spots are this weak for him individually it seems like story removes a lot of leverage he might otherwise have. And the fact that the cubs are being linked to him now is interesting to me because i feel as though this isn't a case where the cubs are gonna throw crazy money at him. I instead feel as though his market is weak and he might end up being a relative bargain. That to me seems more in line with the way jed had been talking and it also makes a bit more sense to me than the cubs suddenly spending crazy to win now. Like if they think they can get him on a relatively decent contract why not go after him?

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Is correa gonna be a darvish situation? He's clearly viewed coming into FA as one of the top guys for obvious reasons. But I'm sitting here looking at teams and idk man... who's gonna go nuts for him? People are pushing the yankee narrative but they have two top 50 SS prospects one of whom is in AAA and one who's in A+ and they are already sitting on $210 mil in payroll. Like sure it's the yankees and money often doesn't matter but... surely they can spend money wiser than Correa or realistically any SS. To me it seems more likely for them to go with someone like Simmons on a short term deal to fill a spot until those guys are ready or just give Torres another go and hope he's good enough until they are ready.

Houston would be an obvious potential landing spot. And depending on how things go maybe they make the most sense.... but devils advocate here... they are sitting at $168.5M opening day payroll. Last year their opening day payroll was highest in team history at $187.6 mil. So, if Correa is gonna get $30 mil a year they will smash that. Not to mention houston also has a top 50 prospect in Jeremy Peña in AAA who plays SS.

Looking through the rest of baseball... idk man. Like maybe the Angels? I feel like they'd be more focused on pitching given their starters gave up a team 4.78 ERA but their SS play last year was pretty god awful. And unlike the two teams above they don't have any obvious near term prospects who make any sense.

And the other thing to consider here is that it's not just Correa. Story is also still out there. So if the potential landing spots are this weak for him individually it seems like story removes a lot of leverage he might otherwise have. And the fact that the cubs are being linked to him now is interesting to me because i feel as though this isn't a case where the cubs are gonna throw crazy money at him. I instead feel as though his market is weak and he might end up being a relative bargain. That to me seems more in line with the way jed had been talking and it also makes a bit more sense to me than the cubs suddenly spending crazy to win now. Like if they think they can get him on a relatively decent contract why not go after him?
I wonder if he'd take a shorter contract in hopes of getting another shot at a long contract in a couple years

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I wonder if he'd take a shorter contract in hopes of getting another shot at a long contract in a couple years

I wouldn't. I would be pointing at

Francisco Lindor ss
10 years/$341M (2022-31)

• 10 years/$341M (2022-31)
    • signed extension with NY Mets 4/5/21
    • $21M signing bonus
    • 22-31:$32M annually

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Players will fold eventually. The owners own the assets in the franchises and the players collect a check. No season means no checks. Franchise will still increase in value due to inflation.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Danny Duffy supposedly next Cubs pitching target after lockout ends. Would be a decent innings eater in the 4 spot. They would still be missing the typical ACE. In our 2015/16 runs that was Arrieta for us. We don't yet have that, unless the Cubs believe that will be from our farm at some time.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
Danny Duffy supposedly next Cubs pitching target after lockout ends. Would be a decent innings eater in the 4 spot. They would still be missing the typical ACE. In our 2015/16 runs that was Arrieta for us. We don't yet have that, unless the Cubs believe that will be from our farm at some time.
True, but in 2014 no one was really thinking Arrieta was going to be that guy either the next two years. Just never know with pitching.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
True, but in 2014 no one was really thinking Arrieta was going to be that guy either the next two years. Just never know with pitching.
Wicks or Killian or MArquez could be only legit options, and they all have to take major steps to do it.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if the mets would listen on Jeff McNeil. Signing canha and escobar really limits where you could play him. There's 2B but Cano is returning to them. I think in an ideal world they'd like to dump cano but who's gonna take him? They also have Luis Guillorme and Davis to cover the infield. I wouldn't say they have to trade him but he's gonna be pretty far down the depth chart for them as a back up it feels like.

From the cubs side of this, you have unproven guys in several spots. LF is open unless you move Happ there. 3B i'm ok with running wisdom out again but having someone like McNeil who can plug in numerous spots all around would kinda be nice if he didn't cost too much to acquire.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm curious if the mets would listen on Jeff McNeil. Signing canha and escobar really limits where you could play him. There's 2B but Cano is returning to them. I think in an ideal world they'd like to dump cano but who's gonna take him? They also have Luis Guillorme and Davis to cover the infield. I wouldn't say they have to trade him but he's gonna be pretty far down the depth chart for them as a back up it feels like.

From the cubs side of this, you have unproven guys in several spots. LF is open unless you move Happ there. 3B i'm ok with running wisdom out again but having someone like McNeil who can plug in numerous spots all around would kinda be nice if he didn't cost too much to acquire.

If Jed plays this strategically then he should look at Duffy to push Steel into the pen. Alozay, Thompson and Steel all were better in the pen. Add them to Wick and Weick. Maybe Abbott enters to mix. Adds a solid core going forward.

Hitting wise I would hold off on a OF. Jed has pulled 2 stiffs out from DFA hell and to be Franck they are just place holders for Davis. Depending on the results of the CBA and service time will affect his start date.

He is MLB ready now. This is just a clock game now. If it works to ownerships beni he will get a opertunity out of spring. If it benefits ownership to sit on him then that is what they will do.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yikes, those percent diffs are actually quite large though. Madrigal is a guy that will almost always be well above .300. What makes Madrigal an 3 war player is his incredibly high average, he'd be Tony Gwynn level with just the slightest increase in power.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yikes, those percent diffs are actually quite large though. Madrigal is a guy that will almost always be well above .300. What makes Madrigal an 3 war player is his incredibly high average, he'd be Tony Gwynn level with just the slightest increase in power.
How would an increase in power make him Tony Gwynn?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How would an increase in power make him Tony Gwynn?
I'm more interested on how a kid that has played all of about 80 ML games can add some power and be at the level of a HOF player. But hey, it would be great if it happened.....it would also be great if I won the lotto.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
I'm more interested on how a kid that has played all of about 80 ML games can add some power and be at the level of a HOF player. But hey, it would be great if it happened.....it would also be great if I won the lotto.
Exactly. With Gwynn, we are talking about the greatest hitter I’ve ever seen play. And he’s considered the greatest pure hitter since fucking Teddy ballgame Williams. To compare Madrigal to Gwynn is just ludicrous to do. Not to mention, Gwynn was never a power hitter either, so to say if Madrigal added some power he’d be like Gwynn is extra puzzling

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Exactly. With Gwynn, we are talking about the greatest hitter I’ve ever seen play. And he’s considered the greatest pure hitter since fucking Teddy ballgame Williams. To compare Madrigal to Gwynn is just ludicrous to do. Not to mention, Gwynn was never a power hitter either, so to say if Madrigal added some power he’d be like Gwynn is extra puzzling
I've not seen much of Madgril but he keeps getting referred to as a "slap hitter". I think he meant extra base power, not necessarily HR power. Regardless of the power thing....comparing him to, as you said, "one of the greatest pure hitters in MLB history" is ridiculous. I'd bet if you asked the kid if he would be satisfied with half the career numbers Gywnn put up....he would take it in a second.