Omar Khan and Morocco Brown Today (EVP + GM?)

Rise

Liked Posts:
Not buying the combo rumors, but the Bears can hire either one of those guys at GM and I am popping champagne bottles.

Im not buying it either but if it did happen I take back everything I have said about Polian. This is what they need to do no doubt about it. Ted can still do his stadium thing which is what he is good at.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll be happy with either but looking more and more like Brown / Eberfuss. Man I hate that last name

EDIT: flus.. fuss.. puss.. ?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I'll be happy with either but looking more and more like Brown / Eberfuss. Man I hate that last name

Not as much as the first name...Matt.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im not buying it either but if it did happen I take back everything I have said about Polian.

If it did play out that way, I would toss in a bunch of molly with that champagne and take the rest of the week off like I had just won the Super Bowl myself.

tumblr_inline_p6ldloqVvp1sdyu00_540.gif

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
Not going to happen. George already said they weren't going for this type of structure. The GM is the defacto VP of Football Ops.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not going to happen. George already said they weren't going for this type of structure. The GM is the defacto VP of Football Ops.
Doubt it does, but maybe with the 73 GM interviews he has done, he realizes that they need a structure that includes a VP of football Ops that isn't named Teddy.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Doubt it does, but maybe with the 73 GM interviews he has done, he realizes that they need a structure that includes a VP of football Ops that isn't named Teddy.
Agreed. If Polian pushes for some oversight by a football guy.. he will be worth the money.

MurrDogg34

Liked Posts:
They've clearly said they weren't going with this type of dynamic. Why does anyone think that's going to be different. Everyone says they're cheap, but now they're going to be so convinced to hire two people instead of just one?
I’m not convinced of anything. But I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for them to hire a GM and Assistant GM. It might be unlikely, but I think it’s possible. So while they won’t have a President of Football operations in name, it might be a parallel of sorts.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I’m not convinced of anything. But I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibility for them to hire a GM and Assistant GM. It might be unlikely, but I think it’s possible. So while they won’t have a President of Football operations in name, it might be a parallel of sorts.
Well silly me; I'm basing it off of what George has publicly said. He's said this is the structure they are comfortable with. Could that change? Absolutely. In fact, I think a lot will change once the old lady is gone.

However, at present, there is zero reason to speculate as he's already said what they are looking for, and what they are not looking for.

Chicoman

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

not excited about Uberpuss either...at least not the coach, as a business idea, perhaps.

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
In general, and from what I can infer, it's basically what a football president does. They report to ownership. For ownership to step in and make a decision is to fire them. Of course, ownership can do what they do because they own the team, but the corporate structure of the NFL lends me to understand that the "Football Czar" runs the show and ownership's hands off.

Again, this is my understanding. It's really difficult finding out exactly how a team is run. I think it's akin to being proprietary.
Careful...

This is a concept that some refuse to admit would matter or help.

Imagine a board evaluating an actual football executive collectively rather than evaluating their own family boy George.

Last edited:

Shepard

Renegade
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well silly me; I'm basing it off of what George has publicly said. He's said this is the structure they are comfortable with. Could that change? Absolutely. In fact, I think a lot will change once the old lady is gone.

However, at present, there is zero reason to speculate as he's already said what they are looking for, and what they are not looking for.
No you're right- George did say their GM is their top and guy and will just report to him rather than Ted.

My only issue is if this were true (I highly doubt it is)..I'd rather they have just picked their new Team President. They could've called DeCosta, Robinson...name any top GM/football executive out there and given them whatever they wanted to run the franchise how they saw fit.

Then THEY could have ran this process from Day 1. Not this circus of a board.

SugabearMVP

Liked Posts:
What a joke.... George wants to hire more than a GM and HC. So you guys think he will get advice from "experts" in 3 years as to who of the 3 he should get rid of?

The guy couldn't even decide on getting rid of Nagy and Pace, and now he wants to throw in a 3rd guy!

George is funny.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
What a joke.... George wants to hire more than a GM and HC. So you guys think he will get advice from "experts" in 3 years as to who of the 3 he should get rid of?

The guy couldn't even decide on getting rid of Nagy and Pace, and now he wants to throw in a 3rd guy!

George is funny.
I’m fine with a 3rd guy being added, but I’m not fine with George and possibly Phillips being involved in that situation. If this is 100% Polians decision, than I could support that more.

greg23

Liked Posts:
My understanding would be

Kahn...vp football ops....basically taking over Ted's duties

Brown....gm.....in charge of the roster

Both likely involved in bringing on board the coach

Would be a home run....as long as they didn't decide Frazier or Bowles or Quinn was the fit as hc

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
My understanding would be

Kahn...vp football ops....basically taking over Ted's duties

Brown....gm.....in charge of the roster

Both likely involved in bringing on board the coach

Would be a home run....as long as they didn't decide Frazier or Bowles or Quinn was the fit as hc
Makes great sense which is why it won't happen.

Georgie and Sweaty logic? Why pay 2 football guys when we can pay only 1? NYUK, NYUK, NYUK!

Rise

Liked Posts:
I think if it’s Khan he would be paired with the inexperienced Poles and they would hire Quinn. I can deal with Quinn if we get real structure like this as that is what has really been missing in my opinion. Polian comes from organizations with asst GMs etc, how is he ok with this current structure?

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I think if it’s Khan he would be paired with the inexperienced Poles and they would hire Quinn. I can deal with Quinn if we get real structure like this as that is what has really been missing in my opinion. Polian comes from organizations with asst GMs etc, how is he ok with this current structure?
Curious who his “strong” staff connections are

baredown

Liked Posts:
Two points:

- George said many times over the years that he wants the stability & continuity of the Steelers. It wouldn't seem to be too difficult for him to finally come to the realization that the best way to emulate the Steelers organization would be to bring in someone from the Steelers organization.

- I can't imagine Khan being interested in a GM-only position. The Steelers football operations structure is headed by a VP of Football Ops and General Manager. Khan’s career path has been on the football administration side, not working up through the player evaluation side. I'd imagine he'd want a similar VP of Football Ops & GM title, and then bring on an deputy GM with a player evaluation background. The latter position might still be of interest to Brown.

Yeah, I know what George said in his press conference. But his words struck me as more defensive than dogmatic...

Last edited: