Whos your final HC candidate?

Payton34Sayers40

Liked Posts:
Also, as long as we are giving guys second chances to succeed as Head Coaches, I have one for you — Former Bear & Super Champion, Leslie Frazier.

I know he is viewed as a defensive guy but maybe this time around he would make a very smart pick for his Offensive Coordinator. And the guy is clearly doing a tremendous job coaching defense.

Not likely to happen but as long as their is no clear favorite we might as well throw him in the mix.

KingInTheNorth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I am all aboard the Josh McDaniels train!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure Bellichick doesn't care whether the plan was gutless or not.

I recall the pats going for 2 in their own territory once. When asked he said he wasn't making a statement about his team, just trying to get a 1st down.

So be prepared for more dink and dunk and behind the line passing from Jones if it keeps them winning.

I get the sense they don't care otherwise.

I am sure he doesnt care. I wasnt knocking the dink and dunk as Jones runs it well. I was saying given he dinks and dunks there was no reason not to let him pass as his dinking and dunking would not be impacted as much.

That game would not have been close and the Pats woud have scored more IMO if they let Jones throw. They only scored 14 points. Lets not pretend they hung 20+ on the Bills.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I am surprised at how many people said Toub.

I would go Toub or Bowles.

With Toub you get a guy that consistently puts a good unit on the field, and being special teams he has to be able to communicate with both offensive and defensive players. I also think that we don't need a "quarterback whisperer" trying to run a whole team. We need an OC that can focus on that. Toub would bring a whole team approach and allow his coordinators to run their units while he managed the entire team. I think he would be a very interesting hire.

With Bowles you get a guy that knows defense and is proven in being a good defensive leader. I think that if he had to manage that as well as leading the games that a good OC could focus on the the play calling and managing the training of the young QB.

I think people are too caught up in needing the next HC to bring Fields to the next level also has to be the leader of the entire team when instead it might be smarter to let someone that is working on something that specific focus on doing that task.
More and more, I'm beginning to think the term "quarterback whisperer" just means controlling.

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Also, as long as we are giving guys second chances to succeed as Head Coaches, I have one for you — Former Bear & Super Champion, Leslie Frazier.

I know he is viewed as a defensive guy but maybe this time around he would make a very smart pick for his Offensive Coordinator. And the guy is clearly doing a tremendous job coaching defense.

Not likely to happen but as long as their is no clear favorite we might as well throw him in the mix.
I’m sorry, but Frazier just makes me think…..Dick Jauron….

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, the offense worked when he had an in his prime Ben Roethlisberger and pre-damaged Andrew Luck. I am not saying Arians is not a good coach or that his system can't work. I would have loved it if Chicago had hired him instead of Trestman. However, like many, his success is directly tied to when he has outstanding qb play - Big Ben, Luck, a resurgent Carson Palmer for a few years, and now Tom Brady. He hasn't exactly had to make chicken salad out of chicken crap at his qb position very often.

My concern with Leftwich is just overall experience. I don't like that he is only in his 5th year as an NFL coach, 6 if you want to count his intern year. I don't like that he has only been a qb guy or offensive coordinator and that basically all his time has been spent under Arians and the Arians system. Been there, done that, with Nagy and the Reid system. I would like Leftwich a lot better if he had just a couple more years experience and away from Arians and his system.

You look at guys like Sean McVay or Kyle Shanahan who were offensive gurus. McVay spent 9 years as an assistant before becoming a head coach - and it wasn't just qb's. He coached WR and TE before being an OC and under two different head coaches (Mike Shanahan and Jay Gruden). Shanahan spent 13 years as an assistant on multiple teams with different head coaches. He coached wide receivers, qb's and then spent 9 years an OC before becoming a head coach.

I think it's beneficial to hire a guy, whether he a first time head coach or a retread, that has more just a handful years of coaching experience and in different regimes. I want the guy to have seen and experienced different styles of how to coach, how to adapt, and how to lead. I just think a stronger background like that will serve the person better to find success in Chicago.

Ok and Leftwich will have an in his prime Fields so not seeing the issue. They also had a top 5 O with Winston. He just threw too many picks.

Leftwich spent 10 years as an NFL QB so unlike Nagy he has experience in other systems just as an NFL QB rather than a coach. His OCs were Bill Musgrave, Carl Smith, Hue Jackson, Greg Olson and Arians so he has experience learning and running other systems as an NFL QB. Of course Arians is the biggest influence.

Is it a risk? Sure but personally think he is up for the challenge and has the higjest upside of anyone.

Last edited:

Sparks500

Liked Posts:
Look, you want a guy that communicates well, understands the whole game, is a strong leader and has a clear vision of what he wants, but is flexible enough to see what works better. Dave Toub.

Nagy is too stubborn and/or stupid to see that his plan doesn’t work with these players and won’t change anything to maximize the talent he has in front of him.

let’s not get another Nagy…

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Still all about Greg the third leg Roman. The Ravens OL has been dog shit as their MVP QB cant stop giving up the ball in the redzone and missing big time throws. Starting to see more people criticize Lamar as a passer, which is overdue. Hopefully they stop treating him with kid gloves as he continues to let his team down.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I posted this in the last coaching thread, but.....

The consensus around the web (this site and Twitter) seems to be:

- Don't want the "hot" name just because he's the hot name
- Don't want a glorified playcaller who hasn't proved he's a leader
- Want someone with HC experience
- Someone with the potential to build a strong staff

The sneaky name that fits a lot of this criteria is Raheem Morris. People like Josh McDaniels and think he needs a second chance, but like McDaniels, Morris was a HC at a very young age and without a ton of experience. He was the outside the box candidate, who the Bucs was hoping would be their Mike Tomlin. He had a bad 1st year on a rebuilding team where he played 3 different QBs. He won 10 games his 2nd year with Josh Freeman having a huge year. Third year, they started 4-2 and then lost 10 straight to end the year and Freeman was a disaster. He got a chance as interim for Atlanta and went 4-7 after Dan Quinn started the year 0-5. 5 of the 7 losses were by less than 5 points.

The biggest issue is Morris couldn't build a staff back then. But since then, he's coached in Atlanta with Kyle Shanahan and the LaFleur brothers. He coached Leftwich his final year in Tampa. And he's now the DC for Sean McVay in LA. So he has ties to some of the top offensive minds in the league right now. Obviously, he's not getting any of those guys as his OC, but he certainly has a chance to pull in the next in the line of these type of OCs.

The Rams also have a bunch of interesting young coaches on their staff. Kevin O'Connell is the OC, but could be a guy that makes a lateral move simply because he would get a chance to call plays. Former NFL QB, who has a good future in coaching. They also have Zac Robinson on the staff who is a former NFL QB. Also have Wade Phillips' and Aaron Kromer's sons and Don Shula's grandson on their staffs. So there's a pretty good chance he would be a much better coach the 2nd time around.
I mentioned O'Connell as an out of the box name. I think he would strongly consider moving with Morris to show that he can operate independently of McVey. I'd be pretty stoked for that tandem.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
For ‘leader of men’ quality and strategy to a point, I like the Campbell guy from Iowa state. However, he’ll have to adjust to nfl rules, and I’d wonder what offensive identity he’d try to implement. Collegiately, he seems modern, even though the past two years he’s been more conservative—which he has to with a statuesque QB in Purdy.

To the meatballs who care more about the flavor/names at WR this off-season, free to skip this paragraph. I want Mike Munchak as part of the staff, probably not HC. The offensive line needs massive improvements/torn to the studs and rebuilt before any offensive identity/scheme can be formed and this dude has a track record of making 2 way pass/run blocking studs, Garrett Bowles most recently, also David decastro, one of the Pounceys and Taylor Lewan.

I wouldn’t complain with McDaniels. Fitz isn’t coming here. Harbaugh would be a fool to leave Michigan and you’re gonna have to pay out the ass to get him along with control—which he done fucked up in San Fran (trade down clowns would love him though).

Ed Ogeron looks like he’d either be a genius at this level or would spontaneously combust and be fired after a year.

jsu34

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am sure he doesnt care. I wasnt knocking the dink and dunk as Jones runs it well. I was saying given he dinks and dunks there was no reason not to let him pass as his dinking and dunking would not be impacted as much.

That game would not have been close and the Pats woud have scored more IMO if they let Jones throw. They only scored 14 points. Lets not pretend they hung 20+ on the Bills.
Of course. I don't even think that was the objective. Bellichick has only one real objective. Though I don't think Jones is so bad he can't throw a short pass in the wind, but they felt they needed to do that and the Bills let them do it.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Ok and Leftwich will have an in his prime Fields so not seeing the issue. They also had a top 5 O with Winston. He just threw too many picks.

Leftwich spent 10 years as an NFL QB so unlike Nagy he has experience in other systems just as an NFL QB rather than a coach. His OCs were Bill Musgrave, Carl Smith, Hue Jackson, Greg Olson and Arians so he has experience learning and running other systems as an NFL QB. Of course Arians is the biggest influence.

Is it a risk? Sure but personally think he is up for the challenge and has the higjest upside of anyone.

Fair enough. I would not be upset with Leftwich. I know that Arians has pushed hard for him too.

I just want the next coach to a better leader and holding his team accountable and also be able to teach whatever system he is implementing. The current version of the Bears have simply made too many dumb mistakes whether that is bad penalties, missed assignments, wrong routes, etc and they need someone that can change that. My impression of the Nagy teams is that they don't really get the details correct enough.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Coaches that come to mind that had a nfl opening after being fired: Mccarthy, Rivera, Gase, Marrone, Whisenhunt, Caldwell, Mccoy, Nolan, Smith, Phillips, Garrett etc...all these guys come to mind as either getting another HC gig after being fired or some DC/OC spot...so who makes a good coach out of these guys?

is 44-19 a good coach? like you say, let the league decide, this coach did not get a nfl coaching gig and went to the college ranks and just recently has he now beaten ohio state for the first time in his 7 yr career at michigan

much like BOB, harbaugh is a similar type who wears out his welcome over time, as i've said in the previous post whatever happened to BOB leading to that GM meltdown where he not only traded away the best WR in the nfl for peanuts, traded clowney and also produced a horrific draft class in 2020, this pretty much sealed his fate which is why he only lasted 4 games. Prior to that he took the texans to the playoffs in 4 out of 6 seasons, two of those with the likes of osweiler and hoyer and the other two with watson. I'm not crowning BOB as some sort of savant but the guy did deliver houston with the most division titles and is the one coach with a winning record which he'll likely hold for the foreseeable future as I dont see Culley ever coming close.
RE: Coaches mentioned - some will be successful, but it's not like they all would succeed in the same situation. IMHO it's important to know what the team is asking from the coach first, then figure out which candidate best fits. It's not like I'd rank all those names and the top guy is the 'best'. It's all about finding the 'best fit'.

RE: Harbaugh - He's interesting, but I think he's a college guy. He went Stanford, SF, then Michigan. Some coaches prefer or are just better suited for college than the pros. Hell, if you include job security often they can make more money with a big program than in the NFL.

RE: Bob - I think he's a great example of why different coaching jobs require different people. When he was hired they only needed someone to coach the team, which he did fairly well. After the owner died and there was a fairly large leadership void, which lead Bob trying to do more his job description changed and he failed. He's not Belichick, who can do both coach and make roster decisions. I'd bring this back to McDaniels. What has he done to show he can lead a locker room or make player decisions? His history in that department is either weak or non-existent. If the Indy stories of him walking away from the table are true, why is he demanding full control? How does he feel he's earned that right?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

I knows it's Sports Mockery but he's just plagiarizing an ESPN article behind a paywall.

Liked Posts:
I'd actually like to see the three guys from the After Football Show run it for a game and see how they'd do.