A 2nd round WR isn’t going to make or break Justin Fields' career.

2MuchChino

Liked Posts:
I wasn’t a daniels fan but I would take him over dozier and mustipher. We just need to be real this oline is poop
The draft isn't over. Neither is FA. It wouldn't be impossible to still get a better guard than either.

bufordht

Liked Posts:
Many people don't quite understand that stats do not equal development. Getting help around him would improve his stats, that doesn't necessarily mean he is developing. Putting up poor stats this season doesn't mean that he hasn't developed.

The make or break for Fields is can he learn to read an events, and does he know where to go with the ball. Whether he has time to throw, or an open receiver doesn't really matter.

Obviously in 23 they are going to need some weapons if they want to compete, but no one is expecting them to compete this year so the stats don't matter.

I think a lot of the guys freaking out are your typical fantasy football stats junkie type person who thinks if a player doesn't put up enough fantasy points they must be bad.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Maybe an indication the Bears aren't really that interested in Justin Fields as their guy? Or maybe they just know they're going to be picking top five next year and can get their guy then.
That’s what I think. I don’t think Poles is an idiot or a hypocrite.

There has to be a reason he said the biggest indicator of a young QB breaking out is a ball-out WR, then got no major receivers in pre-draft free agency or the first two days of the draft.

There has to be a reason he said you build your offense from the trenches out, then did very little with OL in pre-draft free agency and the first two days of the draft.

The only thing that adds up to is that he doesn’t care about using 2022 to get the most out of Justin Fields’ development. And the only reason you wouldn’t care about using a down year to get the most out of your rookie-contract QB would be if you don’t see a long-term future there.

But you say that, and people on these boards go crazy and say you’re seeing things that aren’t there. It makes sense, though.

My take is that Poles’ attitude with Fields is this: “If he balls out in 2022, awesome. We can then address that and his weapons for the following year and beyond. If not, oh well—He’s not my guy anyway, and I’ve got a roster to fill out.”

It’s early, but I think I might have Poles pegged pretty well now. People snark at that, but I was the one weeks ago who said I don’t see Poles getting OL or WR on Day 2 of the draft, and I took it on the chin from people saying, “How could you possibly know!? You don’t know shit about Poles!”

Poles appears to be a slow, methodical guy who prefers to go small-to-big rather than big-to-small on roster moves. It’s the same reason I very much doubt he’ll go on a spending spree next offseason with a shit-ton of cap space. A lot of people here are counting on some massive 2023 offseason, and I just don’t see it. It doesn’t seem to fit with Poles’ character.

But hey, I guess we’ll see. I hope it works out. I’m not a Poles hater. I just don’t think the current approach will work out, and yes, I’m critical of it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
...Suddenly all of the players and moves you've been shitting on the past two years are acceptable enough for Justin Fields.
1. Give me one good reason...
2. Remember all the hype about Mooney using a jugs machine in a hotel hallway?
3. The problem with Cole Kmet...........
4. Let's hear those OL predictions for 2022.
5. *** OFFICAIL *** NFL PLAYOFFS DIVISIONAL ROUND: BILLS @ CHIEFS 5:30PM CT IGT
6. Trevor Simien 2 yr deal
Outside of you liking the Pringle signing, you don't seem to believe any of these players or positions are set. Its just another case you shitting on absolutely everything all the time, but then when its time to prop up Fields situation, everyone is good enough because you have to set Fields up to be a disappointment when the predictable bad season happens.

He is a young, developing QB with a bad supporting cast and unknown coaching. To expect him to overcome this because of you've seen a couple young QBs do it is unrealistic. The rest of the league is trying to surround their QBs(proven or not) with good players, while the Bears are banking on coaching and playing defense. We just went back 15 years. Again.
I’ve seen this in many posters not just him. When trubisky was here those same posters we need te we need wrs we need oline. Now it’s if fields is good he can make it work with no oline and poverty wrs. I think it’s just a homer coping mechanism. Fields was sacked 60 times last year and a worse oline plus coaching is suppose to make that better lol

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Can’t believe Kansas City wasted another pick on a WR. Mahomes is good enough to just play in any environment… and elevate the mediocre talent around him.

I just don’t understand the desire to put more offensive talent around him.
They also signed MVS and Juju for a grand total of $12 million a year, although I suppose we’ll see how that all works out. I suspect it’ll work out just fine with MVS, Juju and Skyy catching balls from Mahomes.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I’ve seen this in many posters not just him. When trubisky was here those same posters we need te we need wrs we need oline. Now it’s if fields is good he can make it work with no oline and poverty wrs. I think it’s just a homer coping mechanism. Fields was sacked 60 times last year and a worse oline plus coaching is suppose to make that better lol
Even when Cutler was here and had Forte, Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery, fans were going nuts talking about how he needed a speedy slot WR. It never ended. Fields has gotten no help or coaching since he's been here but he's just supposed to figure it out in an org that has never figured it out.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Many people don't quite understand that stats do not equal development. Getting help around him would improve his stats, that doesn't necessarily mean he is developing. Putting up poor stats this season doesn't mean that he hasn't developed.

The make or break for Fields is can he learn to read an events, and does he know where to go with the ball. Whether he has time to throw, or an open receiver doesn't really matter.

Obviously in 23 they are going to need some weapons if they want to compete, but no one is expecting them to compete this year so the stats don't matter.

I think a lot of the guys freaking out are your typical fantasy football stats junkie type person who thinks if a player doesn't put up enough fantasy points they must be bad.
Wtf are you honestly talking about? Whether he has time to throw or an open receiver doesn't matter?

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
I don’t care about the wrs. The oline is a disaster
Yup. Bears current OL is as follows:

LT: Borom, Davenport. Neither can handle speed rushers.

LG: Whitehair, Dozier. Whitehair has gotten worse the last couple seasons and Dozier is dogshit.

C: Patrick, Mustipher. Patrick might be a decent player but Mustipher has no business taking up a roster spot.

RG: Pig Simmons, Willie Wright. Lots of potential to get Fields killed with these guys holding down RG.

RT: Jenkins. Back surgery in 2021. Might be good, could be bad, no one knows. He definitely hasn't shown enough to be handed a starting job.

The Bears allowed the most sacks in the NFL last season FYI.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Even when Cutler was here and had Forte, Marshall, Bennett and Jeffery, fans were going nuts talking about how he needed a speedy slot WR. It never ended. Fields has gotten no help or coaching since he's been here but he's just supposed to figure it out in an org that has never figured it out.
And to piggy back off this point then you get the posters saying just the coaching will make things better. They said that with tice and they said that with heisted. Both times ended in failure yet no one learns from the past lol. Last time we had a good oline was the 2006 tait-brown-kreutz-Garza-Miller oline. 15 years can’t come anywhere close to that lol pathetic

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
They will have a top 10 pick next year which you would rather use on offense than defense. So get the D done now and use your premium picks next year to get O.
Makes sense. Why would a potential franchise altering talent at QB need protection and weapons anyways? I mean, it's not like he was sacked 50+ times last season and was seeing ghosts.

Glad this new scheme is so much better than the last one. Allowing the 2nd most sacks in the NFL this season is better than allowing the most sacks in the NFL the season prior.

Montucky

Liked Posts:

There has to be a reason he said the biggest indicator of a young QB breaking out is a ball-out WR, then got no major receivers in pre-draft free agency or the first two days of the draft.

There has to be a reason he said you build your offense from the trenches out, then did very little with OL in pre-draft free agency and the first two days of the draft.

The only thing that adds up to is that he doesn’t care about using 2022 to get the most out of Justin Fields’ development. And the only reason you wouldn’t care about using a down year to get the most out of your rookie-contract QB would be if you don’t see a long-term future there.

But you say that, and people on these boards go crazy and say you’re seeing things that aren’t there. It makes sense, though.

My take is that Poles’ attitude with Fields is this: “If he balls out in 2022, awesome. We can then address that and his weapons for the following year and beyond. If not, oh well—He’s not my guy anyway, and I’ve got a roster to fill out.”

It’s early, but I think I might have Poles pegged pretty well now. People snark at that, but I was the one weeks ago who said I don’t see Poles getting OL or WR on Day 2 of the draft, and I took it on the chin from people saying, “How could you possibly know!? You don’t know shit about Poles!”

Poles appears to be a slow, methodical guy who prefers to go small-to-big rather than big-to-small on roster moves. It’s the same reason I very much doubt he’ll go on a spending spree next offseason with a shit-ton of cap space. A lot of people here are counting on some massive 2023 offseason, and I just don’t see it. It doesn’t seem to fit with Poles’ character.

But hey, I guess we’ll see. I hope it works out. I’m not a Poles hater. I just don’t think the current approach will work out, and yes, I’m critical of it.
I think Poles can afford to be slow and methodical this off-season and probably next one too, but after that the heat will be on and he'll be feeling the pressure to compete and have to be much bolder as a result.

But overall I agree with the premise here. The Bears can say whatever they want about Justin Fields but their actions are pretty decisively indicating they aren't anywhere near sold on him. It is very surprising they didn't address the line, but then again you look at the second round and only three offensive linemen total were drafted (and zero tackles) leaguewide. So its obvious the talent wasn't there.

I would have to imagine Poles had to be gritting his teeth a little that Evan Neal was there exactly at the spot where the Bears would've been picking.

I actually think this will work out too. The Bears got a pair of guys who were more like first round talents in the second round while everyone else was drafting third and fourth round wide receiver talents in the mid-second. The risk profile on both their picks is really low, way lower than you'd expect at the point they were drafted. If the Bears come out of this with a really elite secondary going forward then they are basically a couple of good pass rushers (easier said than done acquiring them) from a very good defense.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Yah, Poles is aware this isn't a 1 year fix, likely has a G in mind for later that may take a year to be all that. I'm actually a fan of developing Gs but I hate that Fields may be under pressure all year again. Maybe they plan on slowing the rush with scheme, TE help, gadget Jones and move around the WRs a lot. That said, I don't like excessive formations for the sake of having them but do understand the need for some diversity.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
People want to make Justin Fields out to be this perfect quarterback prospect that the Bears are ruining, but fact is he had already fallen to eleventh overall last year and the only reason he didn't fall further is one of the worst evaluators of quarterback talent in the league reached up nine spots in a trade to grab him. He has legit problems going back to his time as a prospect.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
As far as the offensive line goes, it is true that you don't really do Justin Fields or the Chicago Bears team many favors overdrafting an offensive tackle that can't hack it in the pros. The end result would be the exact same as doing nothing and just rolling with Larry Borom and Teven Jenkins. If you're upset that the Bears didn't get an offensive tackle this draft then be upset that the pick used to get Evan Neal was spent on Justin Fields.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yah, Poles is aware this isn't a 1 year fix, likely has a G in mind for later that may take a year to be all that. I'm actually a fan of developing Gs but I hate that Fields may be under pressure all year again. Maybe they plan on slowing the rush with scheme, TE help, gadget Jones and move around the WRs a lot. That said, I don't like excessive formations for the sake of having them but do understand the need for some diversity.

He said it in the press conference after the picks.

He knows this isn't going to be done in 1 off-season so he's gonna keep chipping away with difference makers and this is just the way the draft fell in terms of value

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
That doesn’t move the needle for me at all. We have a second year qb that got sacked 60 times last year and the oline looks considerably worse.
When did we see them play to be able to legit make this claim? Musk is douchebag as well, btw.

Britbuffguy

Liked Posts:
And to piggy back off this point then you get the posters saying just the coaching will make things better. They said that with tice and they said that with heisted. Both times ended in failure yet no one learns from the past lol. Last time we had a good oline was the 2006 tait-brown-kreutz-Garza-Miller oline. 15 years can’t come anywhere close to that lol pathetic
I don't remember a single fan saying Tice would be an answer. Most thought it was proof that Lovie would never care about the offense, hence he would be fired at the end of that year...which is what happened, regardless of the record.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
1. Agree, Nagy being gone is probably the single biggest positive on the offense. Even with Nagy and Fields, they were finding ways to move the ball. Now as an offense, can they find ways to score TDs?
2. I don't think anything has changed. Mooney is a solid receiver in that high WR2, low WR1 area. He is a young, ascending player. Now the questions are: Can he be consistent? Can he be that reliable guy that gets open, makes the tough catch, game in and game out?
3. I agree. I think people have been too hard on Kmet. He isn't a move TE. That doesn't mean he is a bad TE or that he cannot positively impact the offense with both his pass catching and his blocking. It just means he's never going to be Kelce.
4. Too early to know what we have in Jenkins and Borom and also whether or not they can stay healthy. They both have a chance to be good. But, they need to stay healthy and execute. Only time will tell and there isn't much depth behind them.
5. David Montgomery is solid RB. Both he and Herbert make a good RB room.
6. I fully expect Pringle to be able to contribute to the offense. But last year was his first year with more than 500 yards receiving and that was with Mahomes. He is right in the WR2/3 category. You need guys like him, but you need more than 1.

All QB's need a bit of help. They can't block the defense and they can't pass it to themselves. So, like any QB, Justin needs time to throw and targets that run good routes and can be in place, on time. Then, it's up to Justin to make the right read and the right throw, on target, on time. He can help the offense out by not holding on to the ball too long, being decisive, and then obviously making good throws. He has a great deep ball, but he is going to have to learn how and when to take his shots while keeping the offense moving.

As far as Fields' athletism, he has always struck me as a passer than can run, not a runner that can pass. In college, he could hold on the ball and hang out letting really long plays develop both due to the line in front of him but also because he was just about the most athletic guy on the field - he could pretty much always escape. In the NFL, there just isn't that much margin, and they are stronger so it's not as easy to break a tackle. He can do it, but not as easily or consistently. And quite honestly, while he is tough, you don't want him to take a lot of extra hits either. So yeah, he can make plays with his feet and throwing on the run that other guys generally cannot really do, or at least not as often/easily. That doesn't mean you always want him running for his life after holding the ball hoping someone, somewhere finds a way to actually get open.
this is an actual well thought out post