A 2nd round WR isn’t going to make or break Justin Fields' career.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Ok...............Now exactly who was Poles to pick when the top 8 offensive linemen went in the first round, the top second round linemen #51 a center which was upgraded in free agency.
Ah, the ol’ “But who could they have possibly taken?!”

Could’ve gone Goedeke, who was much improved through his college career, All Conference and probably could’ve flirted with the first round had he not sat the previous year with a knee injury, an injury he clearly showed was behind him via his rebound the following year while playing all games.

Could’ve gone Ed Ingram, who showed he can do it against the best competition on the biggest stages. That’s going to be a plug-and-start guy for the Vikings. Would’ve immediately solved the Bears’ RG problem.

Heck, could’ve traded back, collected more picks, and still gotten Bernhard Raimann, who almost certainly would’ve supplanted either Jenkins or Borom at tackle, and probably been a franchise tackle for many years to come (nothing’s certain, but hey, we’re assessing here, right?).

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Why not do everything you can to maximize his chances of progressing every season? The only answer I can come up with is Poles has 0 interest in him after this season. Bears will have a top 5 pick next year and poles will draft HIS QB. That’s the only possible way any of this makes sense

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1. Nagy and his system was the biggest problem - he's gone.
2. Many of you were VERY high on Mooney last off season. What changed?
3. I always hear it takes 3 years for a TE to develop to their full potential. Cole Kmet?
4. Jenkins & Borom "book-ends for years"...they said.
5. And David Montgomery is a good pass catching RB.
6. Pringle will be a solid addition.

...but wait. Then there's Justin Fields himself. His athleticism alone makes him dangerous, right?

...suddenly this blue chip QB needs all kinds of help.

It's a ream game....right?
lol.....now c'mon, which Qb in the history of the game didn't help i.e. good pass & good wr's to be effective and win ?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
lol.....now c'mon, which Qb in the history of the game didn't help i.e. good pass & good wr's to be effective and win ?
HE WAS KIDDING

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
Do you think Pace gave up an additional 1st round pick for a guy that cannot elevate those around him?

Let's not walk this back to justifying an average NFL starter.

Second question, is he special or not?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Do you think Pace gave up an additional 1st round pick for a guy that cannot elevate those around him?

Oh so you’re not kidding

Toast88

Liked Posts:

Joe Burrow and Josh Allen don’t make people around them better. They’re just really efficient QBs who are additionally elevated because of their surrounding cast.

Just because you’re not a “great no matter what” quarterback doesn’t mean you can’t still become a great quarterback if surrounded by the right resources.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Oh I see what @Gustavus Adolphus is referencing now. "Systematically Destroyed."

Read my post again with sarcasm and a mocking voice about opinions I've heard on here the last two years. I'm literally mocking ppl who propped up the supporting cast...but now that Fields has struggled..."he has ZERO help."

View attachment 19546
TBH there was a moment there where i thought this might have been the case.

So if you're mocking the homers(obv not me, a very realistic and smart Bears fan and future CCS HOFer), what are your realistic expectations for Fields or what's your thoughts on what he really is and will become?

Poor group of pass catchers. Mediocre OL. Unproven OC, HC and GM. Still hasn't been coached. Is it as simple as if he cant overcome a complete disaster of a situation that he's a bust? Im having trouble understanding how you have these very specific expectations of him while also realizing he's in a terrible spot in this dogshit franchise.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many people don't quite understand that stats do not equal development. Getting help around him would improve his stats, that doesn't necessarily mean he is developing. Putting up poor stats this season doesn't mean that he hasn't developed.

The make or break for Fields is can he learn to read an events, and does he know where to go with the ball. Whether he has time to throw, or an open receiver doesn't really matter.

Obviously in 23 they are going to need some weapons if they want to compete, but no one is expecting them to compete this year so the stats don't matter.

I think a lot of the guys freaking out are your typical fantasy football stats junkie type person who thinks if a player doesn't put up enough fantasy points they must be bad.
Getting sacked 58 times, yes some of that was on him, is a frightening statistic.

Edit: so much so, that it changed the trajectory and speed on his throws towards 3/4 mark of the season. That shit can ruin a passer.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
TBH there was a moment there where i thought this might have been the case.

So if you're mocking the homers(obv not me, a very realistic and smart Bears fan and future CCS HOFer), what are your realistic expectations for Fields or what's your thoughts on what he really is and will become?

Poor group of pass catchers. Mediocre OL. Unproven OC, HC and GM. Still hasn't been coached. Is it as simple as if he cant overcome a complete disaster of a situation that he's a bust? Im having trouble understanding how you have these very specific expectations of him while also realizing he's in a terrible spot in this dogshit franchise.
The situation isn't a "complete disaster" because we didn't pick a wr in the second round.

Is asking for him to be top 12 - 15 this year too much?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
lol.....now c'mon, which Qb in the history of the game didn't need help i.e. good pass & good wr's to be effective and win ?

Yes elevate those around. But wouldn't "a plumber need a proper wrench" vs using his fingers? :)

On paper, he's the one of the most "special" Qb's we've ever drafted ( he checks all the boxes).

?Now again I'll ask......which Qb in the history of the game didn't need help i.e. good pass & good wr's to be effective and win ?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The situation isn't a "complete disaster" because we didn't pick a wr in the second round.

Is asking for him to be top 12 - 15 this year too much?
No, it was a complete disaster before they didn't pick a WR in the second round.

With this team as currently constructed i would be shocked if he was a top 15 QB. Lets take a look at last seasons yardage leaders and see whos ahead of him.
1651352623131.png
Do you realistically expect him to be better than any of the 15 highlighted players in year 2 in what essentially will be his rookie year. Yeah, make your jokes about it being a rookie year. He wasn't coached or put in any positions to succeed last season. This is a fact, not an excuse.

As far as his sophomore counterparts go, all of their teams have done more to help them than the Bears have with Fields. I expect Fields to be better off Nagy being gone. But top 15 with what this team is putting(or not putting) around him? I doubt it.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
No, it was a complete disaster before they didn't pick a WR in the second round.

With this team as currently constructed i would be shocked if he was a top 15 QB. Lets take a look at last seasons yardage leaders and see whos ahead of him.
View attachment 19566
Do you realistically expect him to be better than any of the 15 highlighted players in year 2 in what essentially will be his rookie year. Yeah, make your jokes about it being a rookie year. He wasn't coached or put in any positions to succeed last season. This is a fact, not an excuse.

As far as his sophomore counterparts go, all of their teams have done more to help them than the Bears have with Fields. I expect Fields to be better off Nagy being gone. But top 15 with what this team is putting(or not putting) around him? I doubt it.
I'll just chalk it up to a disagreement which is fine by me.

He has been coached, he's had a professional QB coach since high school. His team isn't 2017 with Don Inman, Bellamy, Tanner Gentry...etc.

He's not dealing with Leno and Mills. Literally everyone said you can't do worse.

I think he can and will be top 15, if not top 12. There's no reason to be worse than Carr and Cousins.

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

He has been coached, he's had a professional QB coach since high school. His team isn't 2017 with Don Inman, Bellamy, Tanner Gentry...etc.

He's not dealing with Leno and Mills. Literally everyone said you can't do worse.

I think he can and will be top 15, if not top 12. There's no reason to be worse than Carr and Cousins.
Carr just got Devonte Adams….. it’s like you don’t know what you’re talking about at all

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

I would just like to understand why you think he should be able to be a top whatever QB when the situation is not good. Take a look around the league and see what everyone else is doing. This isn't how you develop a QB. Very shocking that Chicago doesn't know how, i know.

Carr and Cousins are both good and productive QBs. I've been on record on CCS about liking Carr. Cousins issue is he shits the bed in some big games but he's productive and he does just enough to make you question if its worth moving on. If Fields put up Cousins numbers you would have to find a new bit.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Joe Burrow and Josh Allen don’t make people around them better. They’re just really efficient QBs who are additionally elevated because of their surrounding cast.

Just because you’re not a “great no matter what” quarterback doesn’t mean you can’t still become a great quarterback if surrounded by the right resources.

Thats a stretch

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would just like to understand why you think he should be able to be a top whatever QB when the situation is not good. Take a look around the league and see what everyone else is doing. This isn't how you develop a QB. Very shocking that Chicago doesn't know how, i know.

Carr and Cousins are both good and productive QBs. I've been on record on CCS about liking Carr. Cousins issue is he shits the bed in some big games but he's productive and he does just enough to make you question if its worth moving on. If Fields put up Cousins numbers you would have to find a new bit.
When Kyler Murray took over the Cardinals they were the worst team in the league. Fields does not have it THAT bad.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Carr just got Devonte Adams….. it’s like you don’t know what you’re talking about at all
Carr is a damn good QB. A ton of people finally started realizing it last season. I guess some are still catching up.