A 2nd round WR isn’t going to make or break Justin Fields' career.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
When Kyler Murray took over the Cardinals they were the worst team in the league. Fields does not have it THAT bad.
We're talking about right now. The situation right now, not 4 years ago. Also the Cardinals traded for a top 3 WR in the league for Murrays sophomore season. They just traded for Hollywood Brown. They traded for Ertz and just drafted Trey McBride. This is what you call building around your QB and trying to help him succeed.
Does he realize the Cards went out there way to get Murray weapons like the best WR in the league?
Unreal

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
Carr is a damn good QB. A ton of people finally started realizing it last season. I guess some are still catching up.
So are you on record saying Fields cannot be top 15 next year or not?

I think he can be.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
We're talking about right now. The situation right now, not 4 years ago. Also the Cardinals traded for a top 3 WR in the league for Murrays sophomore season. They just traded for Hollywood Brown. They traded for Ertz and just drafted Trey McBride. This is what you call building around your QB and trying to help him succeed.

Unreal
Top 15 or not?

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
the fact of the matter is the Bears continue to spend more resources on D then O and the league just don't function that way anymore. gotta have a qb, ol and weapons. might have a qb, weapons are nothing special and the OL is one of the worst. but the secondary gonna be lit next season! essentially, the Bears organization is stupid

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:
the fact of the matter is the Bears continue to spend more resources on D then O and the league just don't function that way anymore. gotta have a qb, ol and weapons. might have a qb, weapons are nothing special and the OL is one of the worst. but the secondary gonna be lit next season! essentially, the Bears organization is stupid
They've traded extra draft picks on Mitchell, Adam Shaheen, Teven Jenkins, Fields....etc.

Just not true.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
They've traded extra draft picks on Mitchell, Adam Shaheen, Teven Jenkins, Fields....etc.

Just not true.
The 1st pick CB, I'm cool with that. To double down and take another def back at 48 and then see 4 of the next 6 picks be WR - I think there was a fuck up done there and I'm of the belief at least 1 of those 4 WR is gonna be tearing shit up next season b/c there was some really good talent available there and our WR room FUCKIN SUCKS

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

Just not true.

from.....#93

?Now again I'll ask......which Qb in the history of the game didn't need help i.e. good pass & good wr's to be effective and win ?
No one

Last edited:

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
Joe Burrow and Josh Allen don’t make people around them better.
Not sure I agree with that. They are playmakers not game managers. Fields needs to improve his game in addition to being surrounded with better talent.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Not sure I agree with that. They are playmakers not game managers. Fields needs to improve his game in addition to being surrounded with better talent.
Never said they were game managers. They’re great. They’re just not “awesome no matter who you put around them” kind of guys, “elevate everyone around them” guys, which is fine.

Who do they make better? Which receivers are better because Burrow is throwing them the football? Jamarr Chase? Nope. Tee Higgins and Tyler Boyd? Nope—They have almost identical stats whether it’s Burrow or someone else throwing them the football.

It was a deeper point about Fields. A QB doesn’t have to make everyone around him better to be worth a first round pick. He doesn’t even have to make everyone around him better to be great. I certainly *hope* Fields eventually does all of those things, but if he just turns into the next Joe Burrow or Josh Allen, we’d all be ecstatic.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yes i am on record saying he wont be. Not because of his talent, but because of his situation.
Same. He’s going to struggle, showing ups and downs. Then at the end of the year, everyone will say, “We still don’t know who Fields is, because he had no protection and no one to throw to.”

Everyone makes fun of the Jets and Dolphins, but at least they’re going to know at the end of this year whether Tua and Wilson are the guys.

rayer kay

Liked Posts:
That’s what I think. I don’t think Poles is an idiot or a hypocrite.

There has to be a reason he said the biggest indicator of a young QB breaking out is a ball-out WR, then got no major receivers in pre-draft free agency or the first two days of the draft.

There has to be a reason he said you build your offense from the trenches out, then did very little with OL in pre-draft free agency and the first two days of the draft.

The only thing that adds up to is that he doesn’t care about using 2022 to get the most out of Justin Fields’ development. And the only reason you wouldn’t care about using a down year to get the most out of your rookie-contract QB would be if you don’t see a long-term future there.

But you say that, and people on these boards go crazy and say you’re seeing things that aren’t there. It makes sense, though.

My take is that Poles’ attitude with Fields is this: “If he balls out in 2022, awesome. We can then address that and his weapons for the following year and beyond. If not, oh well—He’s not my guy anyway, and I’ve got a roster to fill out.”

It’s early, but I think I might have Poles pegged pretty well now. People snark at that, but I was the one weeks ago who said I don’t see Poles getting OL or WR on Day 2 of the draft, and I took it on the chin from people saying, “How could you possibly know!? You don’t know shit about Poles!”

Poles appears to be a slow, methodical guy who prefers to go small-to-big rather than big-to-small on roster moves. It’s the same reason I very much doubt he’ll go on a spending spree next offseason with a shit-ton of cap space. A lot of people here are counting on some massive 2023 offseason, and I just don’t see it. It doesn’t seem to fit with Poles’ character.

But hey, I guess we’ll see. I hope it works out. I’m not a Poles hater. I just don’t think the current approach will work out, and yes, I’m critical of it.
Sense? Maybe. But short sighted. Poles can believe in building from the trenches out. But they did not see value for OL and WR in the 2nd round. Its that simple. It is a simple concept that cannot seem to break through into the knuckleheads. I repeat. They did not think the WR or OL i. The 2nd and where they wete picking were good enough to be picked!

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Sense? Maybe. But short sighted. Poles can believe in building from the trenches out. But they did not see value for OL and WR in the 2nd round. Its that simple. It is a simple concept that cannot seem to break through into the knuckleheads. I repeat. They did not think the WR or OL i. The 2nd and where they wete picking were good enough to be picked!
Did they also not think there were any WR or OL better than Byron Pringle or Lucas Patrick available to them?

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Just not true.
It is true though. You naming things they've done to help the offense doesn't refute his statement.

Anytime45

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
An even stronger argument to be made that Justin Fields just isn't very good.
It's only an argument if that's the narrative you want to push, which you clearly have been doing.

Hey, if he's a major bust it just makes your pro-Pace opinions look even dumber.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
It's only an argument if that's the narrative you want to push, which you clearly have been doing.

Hey, if he's a major bust it just makes your pro-Pace opinions look even dumber.
There is no narrative. He played like shit in the pros and the hype he had as a prospect was because he played on an offense full of first round draft picks against slow, useless B1G teams. He couldn't hack it at Georgia and blamed some incident that happened on the baseball team for why he couldn't beat out Jake Fromm.

Ryan Pace fucked this franchise by giving up so much to acquire him and I'm glad he's gone so he can't do it again. You keep holding out hope that a Pace quarterback is anything other than shit. Ninth time's a charm.