[A] Blackhawks Extend Johnny Oduya

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
According to Tracey Myers, the Chicago Blackhawks have officially signed Johnny Oduya to a three-year contract extension. With this addition, this gives the Blackhawks seven defenseman under contract heading into the off-season, barring any trades this will allow the Blackhawks to use the remaining cap space to sign a forward unless Niklas Hjalmarsson or Steve Montador are placed on the trading block.

This move comes as a shock to some, as most believed the Blackhawks would part ways with Oduya to pursue other options in a deep pool of defense this free agency that consists of bigger and better defenseman. This move just further commits the Blackhawks into a smaller defensive core with very little physical attributes -- an area that needed improvement. No details have been released on his cap hit or salary, but according to Chris Boden, Oduya took a pay cut on his previous $3.5M salary in order to increase the term.

In the 2011-2012 regular season, Oduya contributed 2 goals and 11 assists in 63 games with the Winnipeg Jets before joining the Chicago Blackhawks at the trade deadline for the remaining 18 games of the season where he scored 1 goal and added 4 assists along with a plus-4 rating. Over the last two seasons, Oduya has had 189 blocked shots over 163 games and 35 points.

UPDATE [1:00 PM]: Darren Dreger reports that Johnny Oduya's cap hit will average out to $3.383M per year. This means that the Blackhawks have used slightly over half of their available cap space in order to sign Oduya. Going into free agency they will have $2.8M remaining to round out the roster with another player if they choose.

In the press conference announcing the new deal, questions were raised about the lack of size on the backend to which Bowman stated, "We're still looking to make additional changes to our team. We're not even in July yet, [Oduya's extension] doesn't mean we're not looking to improve the team."

Click here to view the article

BlackHawkPaul

Fartbarf
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wonder how much Oduya set back the Hawks (pay-wise).

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah..3 years seems steep for Oduya. Yes, I liked him in the regular season, but if the price is high he becomes another Montador.

Still, now it seems like more pressure for Stan to move some underperforming assets.

Rex

Chief Blackcock
Liked Posts:
The only thing I can think of is Stan laughing and saying "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing"

Is he really icing the same team that got beat out in the first round last year?

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Like Oduya?

Oh.

Or Hammer.

Oduja, in the regular season, had some chemistry with Leddy. Hammer and Leddy were atrocius together. I think it will depend on how much per for Oduja...if it's less than Hammer's contract i can see him being shopped. Outside chance of Montador but his limited NMC might make that a chore.

Remote chance Leddy is moved--if so the pitchforks and torches will come out as the fans move to lynch Stan.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Ugh....really I mean was he signed to make Keith's turnovers not look so bad?

Ton

Liked Posts:
This is one of the worst things they could have done. While I like Oduya, I really don't see how he fits on a blueline with Keith, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, and to a lesser extent, Montador. To me, someone like Brad Stuart would have been a great pick-up. Brent Seabrook will have more hits than the rest of the D combined. They're doing it wrong...

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
This is one of the worst things they could have done. While I like Oduya, I really don't see how he fits on a blueline with Keith, Leddy, Hjalmarsson, and to a lesser extent, Montador. To me, someone like Brad Stuart would have been a great pick-up. Brent Seabrook will have more hits than the rest of the D combined. They're doing it wrong...
Does that mean we are going to see the wonderful begining of all the trade rumors? Bye bye Seabs... .or bye bye Keith... hah hah

Ton

Liked Posts:
Seabs has to be untouchable. Without him this defense is too weak. Keith's contract makes him a hard sell. Hjalmarsson is the only one that I can see traded, realistically.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Except... you can't rule anything out anymore with these dumb asses. Look at the thread we're in.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Something interesting to consider as well: Lalonde is on the last year of his entry-level deal... wonder if that experiment is over.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Does that mean we are going to see the wonderful begining of all the trade rumors? Bye bye Seabs... .or bye bye Keith... hah hah

That sorta relates to the question bouncing around my head.

Are we going to start to see the core deciding to hit the free market when their contracts are up? Management seems inept to put it mildly. Do you think guys like Kane and Toews will decide to go play elsewhere to go get another cup because with the management team we have, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Are we bound for the basement again I guess is my real question. And I mean not next year we'll be in the basement but I just dont see us being considered elite very long.

supraman

Liked Posts:
Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger

Oduya's contract with Hawks. $3.375 annual average salary.

WHOA huge savings there, I wonder what we can get with that 125k maybe McDick can run a few more commercials with those savings. Are you fucking kidding me. Did Scooter not watch the playoffs where Oduya just coughed it up repeatedly?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
Scooter is dumb. But we all knew this. He thinks a slightly underperforming core with scrubs as supporting casts have a proper chance at the Cup. Maybe third time lucky is his strategy? The sooner Scooter and McD are out the better, but I fear they are going to stick around as long as Rocky gets the dosh. Fuck this team.

Ton

Liked Posts:
This gives us $2,818,206 in cap space barring any trades.

Don't look for that 2nd line center on July 1st, he ain't comin.

supraman

Liked Posts:
This gives us $2,818,206 in cap space barring any trades.

Don't look for that 2nd line center on July 1st, he ain't comin.

Yay, I'm calling it, 1st round exit next year as 7th seed.

Ton

Liked Posts:
Bowman: [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]"We're still looking to make additional changes to our team. We're not even in July yet, [Oduya's extension] doesn't mean we're not looking to improve the team."[/font]