A closer look at Robert Quinn

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Leonard Floyd does many things well. He’s great in setting the edge and in pursuit of the ball carrier. He does not guess one way or the other, he reads the play as it unfolds. He can back into a zone in coverage, as well as cover the RB out of the backfield. He’s even lined up in the slot a few times. Robert Quinn does one thing well, he rushes the QB. And he does it very, very well.

SPEED

First and foremost, before any talk of technique, Quinn’s raw speed jumps out at you. He looks like he plays at a different gear than anyone out on the field. Before putting technique into the equation, he can beat you simply by his pure speed alone.

On this play, there is a TE cushioning the LT from Quinn. This should give the TE plenty of time to get back and cut off the edge. There is no threat of an inside move to worry aboot. But Quinn explodes off the line like a sprinter, beats the LT to the point, and flattens to the QB...

fsm1Ee.gif

Here Quinn gets upfield so fast that the TE completely whiffs on the chip block...

XvmobM.gif

This is a designed 3 step drop. You see the LT covering his inside first. This is because edge pressure should not even be a factor on this particular play. Yet Quinn is still able to get a hit on the QB...

RcCxFq.gif

This is another designed 3 step drop. The sack is 100% on the QB for not throwing it in time. But even if he did, Quinn would have still clobbered the QB...

_Th--w.gif

The LT does a nice job driving Quinn out of position on this play. Yet because of his speed, Quinn is able to recover that ground quickly. He then hurries the QB into overthrowing a wide open receiver downfield...

MrifDn.gif

Because of his elite speed, Quinn is never out of a play no matter what position he’s in. Here he chases down the QB from 13 yards behind the LOS...

J2YlyQ.gif

Catches the ball carrier from the backside of the play...

8mUPms.gif

Runs down the QB to the sideline from an inside stunt...

13Kqfm.gif

AGILITY

Speed isn’t everything, even elite speed. You have to be able to get off of a block. This is where Quinn sets himself apart from many speed rushers. He changes direction seamlessly and in an instant...

SPjPb0.gif

He displays special body control maintaining balance while not losing acceleration. On this play, note how Quinn gets dragged down to the ground by the shoulder pad without losing his footing. He then pops back up instantly at full speed...

f9TEYi.gif

Here Quinn contorts his body 90 degrees, literally facing the sideline, in order to get through the gap...

Cg4gNy.gif

These traits just described are how Quinn gets off of blocks. On his signature move, he uses a dip to turn the corner with the least amount of resistance. He then bends his hips in order to make the sharp turn towards the QB. And he rips his arm upward to completely detach from the blocker and to gain added momentum...

OP1PrY.gif

5iQoXC.gif

Here is a slight variation where Quinn adds a stab right before the dip...

l2H4Vn.gif

OTHER TECHNIQUES

On this play, Quinn raises his arms over his head and straightens his entire body in sort of a Superman pose. He contorts his body in a way that the offensive tackle simply has no where to grab onto...

7pW4pa.gif

Quinn also utilizes a unique jump cut cho maneuver. As the blocker goes to engage, Quinn leaps into the air. Then he chops the blockers arm as he is landing. With his feet not planted in the ground, it makes it difficult for the OT to move him or throw him off balance...

Tkudaa.gif

Wrfj0z.gif

1clhyV.gif

Here is a setup from the jump cut chop. The OT is anticipating the jump cut, so he waits to engage. But it never comes...

KPIPRS.gif

Here is an inside counter to the speed rush...

BOkZMS.gif

FINAL THOUGHTS

Three legit pass rushers on passing downs should cause fits for opposing offenses. 3rd and long becomes a daunting task.

Sure, you could leave extra blockers in, but that will also feed into the Bears strength. The more offensive players you leave in pass protection, the longer the QB has to hold the ball. And odds are that one of Mack/Hicks/Quinn will eventually spring free. Plays in which only 3 to 4 targets deployed require the receivers to run much longer routes in order to disperse the secondary and create space.

With Quinn normally going all out to the QB, the defense becomes more susceptible to the run and to screen plays. A run oriented strong safety could help to balance that.

Another concern is that since Quinn relies so much on speed, losing a step could be devastating to his game. And with already being in the league for some 9 years or so, losing a step is always a possibility. But there was definitely no sign of it in 2019.

Last edited:

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Damn, Quinn looks fast. This signing has really grown on me. I was worried about the injury history and scheme fit but putting 80 career sacks opposite of Mack could be a hell of an upgrade. Add to that a healthy Hicks and they're going to get after some QBs this year.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
When I read "Jump Cut Cho", I was picturing some kind of sweet ancient Samurai technique that Quinn learned in the off season abroad in the foothills of Mount Fuji, then was let down when I realized you just misspelled "Chop"...

Looks like if anything he'll make Jimmy Graham his bitch in club dub.

giphy.gif

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Let’s hope Pagano choses to utilize his best skills to the fullest. Don’t mean a thing if our DC doesn’t release the hounds.

Apoptosis

Liked Posts:
I am all for this signing. We needed a past rusher opposite of Mack something badly. Not only is Quinn going to help Mack but also Nichols. I know he was hurt last year but Quinn will take a lot of pressure off of Nichols and allow him to use his speed and power.

My only fear is stance. I noticed in all the videos Quinn is in either a 3 or 4 stance not 2. We know that trying to convert to a 2 doesn't always workout but I am going to hope for the best.

Bear Down

jonimus

Liked Posts:
Has Quinn ever rushed from the left end? Looks like all of last year he played from the right. I know Mack does either but they have liked to move him back and forth the last 2 years which I hope they can continue.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Has Quinn ever rushed from the left end? Looks like all of last year he played from the right. I know Mack does either but they have liked to move him back and forth the last 2 years which I hope they can continue.
I'm sure Pagano will to exploit matchups. Just looking at this breakdown alone, Quinn is eating Peters lunch with his speed. 3 weeks later, Peters stonewalled Mack.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Great breakdown Adi. Another thing i'd like to add that i've been saying for a while and i think is more important then it gets credit for is that he's comfortable with doing his work from the right side of the d-line, which most of the top pass rushers like coming from the left side where we have Mack coming from. In Floyd's first couple of years he rushed mostly from the left side of the d-line and as we all know his rookie year was his best year when it comes to sacks. So with good health this should be a great duo in Quinn and Mack. Now we just need to get a legit #3 OLB cause i don't believe Mingo is that but unless we draft one in the draft then i think we're gonna have to deal with what we have now and hope for good health from our fearsome duo.

Natedogg8023

Liked Posts:
I can't wait to see the D line rush the passer in 2nd & 3rd and longs this year. Haven't seen any talk about how Bilal Nichols is doing...and couldn't find anything when I searched. He is a young and was looking solid before getting hurt. I look to see Pace add an ILB, OLB, and S in the draft on the Defensive side of the ball, in no particular order.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I can't wait to see the D line rush the passer in 2nd & 3rd and longs this year. Haven't seen any talk about how Bilal Nichols is doing...and couldn't find anything when I searched. He is a young and was looking solid before getting hurt. I look to see Pace add an ILB, OLB, and S in the draft on the Defensive side of the ball, in no particular order.

Pace did say that all the players who were hurt to finish the season and/or needed surgery will be good to go for TC.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Bears made the defense better but also helped their draft position. Finding dependable pass rushers in the middle second is tough, and paying Floyd 13 million for a few sacks would have been tough.

If the Bears can find a CB in this draft who can get on the field, defense can be very dangerous this season.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I am all for this signing. We needed a past rusher opposite of Mack something badly. Not only is Quinn going to help Mack but also Nichols. I know he was hurt last year but Quinn will take a lot of pressure off of Nichols and allow him to use his speed and power.

My only fear is stance. I noticed in all the videos Quinn is in either a 3 or 4 stance not 2. We know that trying to convert to a 2 doesn't always workout but I am going to hope for the best.

Bear Down
Both Mack and Floyd put their hand In the dirt. It's situational/preference. It doesn't matter. We're not running an old school 3-4.

Apoptosis

Liked Posts:
Both Mack and Floyd put their hand In the dirt. It's situational/preference. It doesn't matter. We're not running an old school 3-4.
That is true. It will be interesting to see how everyone will be used on D.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
The experts say that he is bad at stopping the run, which is true, but he isnt getting paid to stop the run. If Hicks/Goldman/RRH and the DLine are healthy, they will be able to stop the run. He's getting paid to be the DeMarcus Ware for Von Miller in Denver. His job will be

Get to the QB
GET TO THE QB
GET TO THE QB

If he ends up with 10+sacks, it will be an elite Defense regardless of the talent deficiency at the #2CB position.