A foles stat that made me take a pause....

msadows

Liked Posts:
In 2018(The only year he qualified for advanced metrics), His intended air yards and yards(per attempt) were the lowest in the league, and his average yards to the stick(per attempt) in 2018 were the second lowest in the league. Sandwiched in-between Cody Kessler and C.J. Beathard .

Checkdown Charlie

I'm sure he will still outperform mitch pretty easily, but all of you expecting a giant leap....dunno. Small sample size as well, Only ~200 throws.

Maybe Pegger can give more insight into these numbers, but every QB i've seen with a consistently low IAY/Yards to the Sticks has been either a system QB or not good at all. Wentz was much much better in both categories(Same with mitch) so I'm assuming it's not just the eagles system.

Just sayin...don't expect miracles. Do expect more bubble screens tho.

msadows

Liked Posts:

Joe Flacco has one of those too.

I'm not discounting he had a fantastic run in the 2017 playoffs. I'm not discounting he can play well at times. I just listed some concerning stats that possibly Pegger can give more insight into since he obviously watched every snap of all his starts in 2018.

His Yards/attempt has been pretty low for his entire career, but seeing him on the bottom of that list kinda concerned me.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Joe Flacco has one of those too.

I'm not discounting he had a fantastic run in the 2017 playoffs. I'm not discounting he can play well at times. I just listed some concerning stats that possibly Pegger can give more insight into since he obviously watched every snap of all his starts in 2018.

His Yards/attempt has been pretty low for his entire career, but seeing him on the bottom of that list kinda concerned me.
6FAED900-A68E-4765-9C45-443D97A1BA28.jpeg

msadows

Liked Posts:
In 2013, he was 2nd in the league behind only a weak armed Manning in Denver.

That's yards/attempt.

IAY and Yards/stick are different stats. They measure how far a throw is. Yards/attempt factors in his supporting cast a tad more.

msadows

Liked Posts:
In this offense, I think someone who checks down to an open receiver and strings together bunch of positive plays could be really successful.

I agree, but wentz was much more successful with the same exact supporting cast that year. Obviously wentz is the far better qb, but the gap was surprising.

Just kinda worried me.

Hopefully nagy doesn't decide to make this offense even less vertical than 2019 to play to foles strengths.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nagy uses "checkdowns for first downs" (nice little rhyme to it), as a REPLACEMENT for an effective run game.

....until it ceases to be effective & is predictable as hell (*cough* 2019).

Here's to hoping addition of a TE pair makes all the difference!! Run game/OL improvement is a crapshoot IMHO.

QB Foles or Mitch prob. doesn't matter nearly as much. Hold on to your asses Bears fans.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Honestly, there are times that I wish Mitch looked for the checkdown. I'm not seeing this as a bad thing right now.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Nagy uses "checkdowns for first downs" (nice little rhyme to it), as a REPLACEMENT for an effective run game.

....until it ceases to be effective & is predictable as hell (*cough* 2019).

Here's to hoping addition of a TE pair makes all the difference!! Run game/OL improvement is a crapshoot IMHO.

QB Foles or Mitch prob. doesn't matter nearly as much. Hold on to your asses Bears fans.

My hope is the run game improves simply due to a different blocking scheme. With an effective run game this team makes the playoffs no matter who plays qb as long as they don't turn the ball over.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is what they play for.

Fuck all that average yard to the stick advanced metric bullshit.

Cool.

The only QB's over the last 4 years with a lower Ayards to the stick are Mike Glennon and Teddy B.

So yea, it's a bit of a concern, and a talking point on a slow offseason.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Whether or not Foles can accurately put the football where it needs to be will determine how this team performs next season. Regardless of how far he pushes the ball downfield.

wonky73

Las Vegas Sorts News
Liked Posts:
Underneath passes can open up things downfield. The safeties start inching up and that little speedy fast wr we drafted zooms past them. Hopefully Foles won't miss them by ten yards like Trubisky does so often.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm sure he will still outperform mitch pretty easily, but all of you expecting a giant leap....dunno. Small sample size as well, Only ~200 throws.

No one is expecting a GIANT leap. All anyone has said is if this team can score 26 ppg they'll make the playoffs. That's all I ever said anyway. The team is what it is. We won't run the ball, and our coach sucks. The defense will lead the way, and Foles will put up more points than Mitch.

The same ppl bitching about the o-line all year last year, praised Pace for his draft - congratulations.

We have two QBs on the roster. One of them fully displayed last year that he cannot put enough points on the board, especially without a good run game. The other guy has a shot because he's smarter and more accurate.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
The stat I am interested in is this:

Number of time the offense makes me want to vomit per game.

Ideally BDN would get it down to 0, but I think I could handle 2 or 3.