A foles stat that made me take a pause....

bufordht

Liked Posts:
No one is expecting a GIANT leap. All anyone has said is if this team can score 26 ppg they'll make the playoffs. That's all I ever said anyway. The team is what it is. We won't run the ball, and our coach sucks. The defense will lead the way, and Foles will put up more points than Mitch.

The same ppl bitching about the o-line all year last year, praised Pace for his draft - congratulations.

We have two QBs on the roster. One of them fully displayed last year that he cannot put enough points on the board, especially without a good run game. The other guy has a shot because he's smarter and more accurate.

22 ppg would do it

msadows

Liked Posts:
No one is expecting a GIANT leap. All anyone has said is if this team can score 26 ppg they'll make the playoffs. That's all I ever said anyway. The team is what it is. We won't run the ball, and our coach sucks. The defense will lead the way, and Foles will put up more points than Mitch.

The same ppl bitching about the o-line all year last year, praised Pace for his draft - congratulations.

We have two QBs on the roster. One of them fully displayed last year that he cannot put enough points on the board, especially without a good run game. The other guy has a shot because he's smarter and more accurate.

Most of this board is level headed, there are a few homers and a few extreme pessimists, but listening to sports radio today in chicago they seem to tout foles for something he isn't, is all.

I think if this team scores 26ppg we are much more than a playoff team. This would be a superbowl team. That would have ranked us 8th in ppg.

I think a rise to 21ppg is a much more realistic number, and would probably increase our win count by at least 2 games.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
That's yards/attempt.

IAY and Yards/stick are different stats. They measure how far a throw is. Yards/attempt factors in his supporting cast a tad more.
He was actually 1st in YPA and passer rating yet only 8th in completion %. Here's some film of the 10 games he started. He was airing it out. Maybe you weren't watching as much football back then but he was the NFL's mad bomber that year.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
In 2013, he was 2nd in the league.

2013 will have no bearing on his stats this year, especially as he's not in Chip Kelly's offense--which caught everyone by surprise but then quickly got figured out.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Eye test for me is that Foles throws a ball that is out on time and easy to catch. His deep throws have more air under them and he simply has a better touch.

Even if he does throw a lot of check downs, they seem to get to the receiver quicker so that they are not immediately being hit as soon as the ball gets there.

Plain and simple is that I think he makes his mind up quicker and he seems to know if he can make the throw sooner. He is very quick to come off the first read and get it to the check down.

So yes maybe he does check down a lot, but he does it better than Trubisky.....

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
In 2018(The only year he qualified for advanced metrics), His intended air yards and yards(per attempt) were the lowest in the league, and his average yards to the stick(per attempt) in 2018 were the second lowest in the league. Sandwiched in-between Cody Kessler and C.J. Beathard .

Checkdown Charlie

I'm sure he will still outperform mitch pretty easily, but all of you expecting a giant leap....dunno. Small sample size as well, Only ~200 throws.

Maybe Pegger can give more insight into these numbers, but every QB i've seen with a consistently low IAY/Yards to the Sticks has been either a system QB or not good at all. Wentz was much much better in both categories(Same with mitch) so I'm assuming it's not just the eagles system.

Just sayin...don't expect miracles. Do expect more bubble screens tho.

Is there really people on here that are expecting greatness from Foles? I don't recall reading many posts from people that don't have any worries with Foles but i also don't go into every thread or go through every page in every thread either. If Foles is the starting QB for us for the full season then i'm expecting him to have some good games, maybe 2 or 3 really good games and i'm also expecting him to have some really bad games. I can see him winning some games and losing some games for us. Of course a big part of it will be on Nagy and his play calling and if he can understand how important the run game is even when you have 3-4 bad runs in a row that it's important to stick with it and not just forget about it. Then of course the o-line needs to do a good enough job. They don't have to be great but good enough to give the QB enough time to get rid of the ball, which most times won't be hard to do because of all the short passes Nagy likes to do. But they gotta give him time on the long balls obviously and need to open holes for the RB.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Cool.

The only QB's over the last 4 years with a lower Ayards to the stick are Mike Glennon and Teddy B.

So yea, it's a bit of a concern, and a talking point on a slow offseason.

Teddy B was 5-0 last year so there's that.

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
I feel like Foles will be like trying to keep it close and win with D like with kyle orton, if Trubisky doesn't emerge we're basically going safe and will draft a QB next year, spin the bingo cage one more time and cross our fingers for 5 more years

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
No, the SAINTS were 5-0 while Bridgewater was the QB.

So what was Bridgewater's record as the starting QB of the Saints last year?? Exactly

Thanks for coming out.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
2013 will have no bearing on his stats this year, especially as he's not in Chip Kelly's offense--which caught everyone by surprise but then quickly got figured out.
I agree but he was willing to throw deep which is opposite the inference of the OP. He will stay in system and pressure also has a strong hand in it.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Teddy B was 5-0 last year so there's that.
Not cause anything he did. @msadows has a point and it’s the main reason many on here wanted the easy fix which would be fix the running game to go with a rocking defense. Foles and new ol coach imo doesn’t fix the offense.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Eye test for me is that Foles throws a ball that is out on time and easy to catch. His deep throws have more air under them and he simply has a better touch.

Even if he does throw a lot of check downs, they seem to get to the receiver quicker so that they are not immediately being hit as soon as the ball gets there.

Plain and simple is that I think he makes his mind up quicker and he seems to know if he can make the throw sooner. He is very quick to come off the first read and get it to the check down.

So yes maybe he does check down a lot, but he does it better than Trubisky.....

Great post.

Simply put, he has better command than Trubisky. He processes info and reads defenses better.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I feel like Foles will be like trying to keep it close and win with D like with kyle orton, if Trubisky doesn't emerge we're basically going safe and will draft a QB next year, spin the bingo cage one more time and cross our fingers for 5 more years

Remember that year when Noodle-arm Orton didn't complete a pass for over 20 yards?

Yeah, Foles is a SB MVP.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
In an effort to show how far we've come and how lucky we were to get Foles. Here's Orton and Foles hoisting their prospective trophies.

hi-res-78841b51cb4a540c3b6ab85c50287e40_crop_north.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is there really people on here that are expecting greatness from Foles? I don't recall reading many posts from people that don't have any worries with Foles but i also don't go into every thread or go through every page in every thread either. If Foles is the starting QB for us for the full season then i'm expecting him to have some good games, maybe 2 or 3 really good games and i'm also expecting him to have some really bad games. I can see him winning some games and losing some games for us. Of course a big part of it will be on Nagy and his play calling and if he can understand how important the run game is even when you have 3-4 bad runs in a row that it's important to stick with it and not just forget about it. Then of course the o-line needs to do a good enough job. They don't have to be great but good enough to give the QB enough time to get rid of the ball, which most times won't be hard to do because of all the short passes Nagy likes to do. But they gotta give him time on the long balls obviously and need to open holes for the RB.

I expect greatness from Foles.

(also.... are there people expecting.... not is there)

5FB434C3-0798-4A5C-8581-643CDA617325.jpeg

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
In an effort to show how far we've come and how lucky we were to get Foles. Here's Orton and Foles hoisting their prospective trophies.

hi-res-78841b51cb4a540c3b6ab85c50287e40_crop_north.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

yeah, we’ve had some serious drunks at QB...orton, cutler, and sexy rexy

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Great post.

Simply put, he has better command than Trubisky. He processes info and reads defenses better.
Agree, I wish I was wrong, but I simply think that Foles is the better QB.

Another thing that really makes me think that Foles will be better is that he LOVES to throw to his TEs in the red zone.

I am fully prepared to see poor performances from Foles too, I do not want to be confused for a Homer. I also do not think he is the long term answer. However, I think that Foles is better than 2018 Trubisky....and I tend to think that 2018 was the best the Bears will ever see from Trubisky.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I expect greatness from Foles.

(also.... are there people expecting.... not is there)

View attachment 5456

Well look at that, the grammar po po are out on CCS today and he's the one guy expecting greatness from Foles this year. I sure do hope you get this one right po po.