A recent scouting report on Rahim Moore: this is why he is on the market

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
It seems as if Moore is a better value than McCourty because he will be cheaper and is younger but after reading this he sure is not perfect. Fortunately, Fox knows what Moore can and cant do and Fox knows what he needs in a free safety so it will be pretty interesting to see if the Bears go after Moore.

Here is the link:
http://www.milehighreport.com/2014/2/21/5402552/scouting-the-broncos-vets-safety-rahim-moore

Athletic Ability: Moore lacks elite speed, strength and size but still possesses reliable talent in those areas. Rahim has solid acceleration, but isn't a decisive defender and rarely reaches his top speed even if he's chasing down a receiver who beat him. It's hard to judge his speed because you expect he can run faster but so often he just doesn't. In terms of physicality and strength, Moore doesn't tend to shy away from contact but, largely due to his small size, he isn't always effective. Has decent arm and leg strength when he's able to get his arms around the defender he can have success.
- GRADE: 7.3

Football Sense: Moore lacks that knack of elite safeties who are able to read, diagnose and then attack an offense, often times knowing before the snap what is going to happen. Having said that his strength comes from playing within the scheme, the coaches aren't able to have him on the field and make his own decisions, rather he's at his best in a tight, rigid system. You give Moore a zone to cover, he seems to know the exact measurements of that zone, down to the yard, and will cover that area to the best of his ability. Now this isn't a measure of his success in zone or man coverage, rather it's a statement that while he may not be the most cerebral safety, he can still succeed when given clear coverage goals.
- GRADE: 7.0

ABILITY REPORT

Read & React: Possibly the biggest weakness in Rahim Moore's game, being able to read and react to what the offense is doing, isn't one of his strong suits. More often than I care to admit Coach Harris kept pointing out how the receivers were only running 5-7 yard routes but Moore kept dropping further and further back. Often times this is a sign of a safety who would rather drop back instead of stepping into the play, we aren't saying he should leave his zone, just don't be afraid to prepare. It's a sign a player is overly safe and may be playing scared. This is even more obvious when zones break down, instead of moving to cover the open receiver in his zone, he'll drop back further. To examine this a bit more, let's take a look at the good and bad of Rahim Moore.

So let's first glance at the good he can do. In week 1 against Baltimore, on a 3rd and 8, Joe Flacco looks for his tight end Dallas Clark, Moore is already in a more shallow coverage than he's used to which greatly helps him break up this play.

*If you want a larger image click on the image and it will open it up in a new tab*

Pre-Play

Read_and_react_good_pre_play_edit_medium

Mid-Play
Read_and_react_good_mid_play_edit_medium

Read_and_react_good_mid_play_2_edit_medium

Read_and_react_good_mid_play_3_edit_medium
End Play
Read_and_react_good_end_edit_medium

But sadly those didn't happen as often as we'd hope, let's take a look at when Moore made a mistake and it cost the team. Against the Raiders Moore's biggest issue was exposed, biting on the initial play read, which in this case is a trick play.

Pre-Play

Read_and_react_bad_pre_play_edit_medium

Mid-Play

Read_and_react_bad_mid_play_edit_medium

Read_and_react_bad_mid_play_2_edit_medium

Read_and_react_bad_mid_play_3_edit_medium

Read_and_react_bad_mid_play_4_edit_medium

Read_and_react_bad_mid_play_5_edit_medium

End Play

Read_and_react_bad_end_edit_medium

- GRADE: 6.7

Man Coverage: This was the area I was most surprised by, I initially thought this was a weakness of Moore's, but after our film study I walked away thinking much higher of him. Now he's hardly great, but played better than I expected. Moore is an aggressive defender while in man coverage, this has it's pros and it's cons, right away quarterbacks know they have a safety in man coverage, but it's nice since he's able to get physical with who he is covering early and stay on them. Now he can tend to take this a bit far, bordering on pass interference, and against stronger players he's easily shrugged off, leaving the receiver open. Also when he plays physical early on, it can lead to him losing his footing or balance and just getting pushed around. When he's beat the most in man coverage, it's because he got beat physically. With that out of the way though, let me comment on one of Moore's greatest assets in this area, his fluid hips and quick back step, because when he does play off his man, he's able to track and follow him very well, it's in this type of situation Moore is able to make a play on the receiver.
- GRADE: 7.4

Zone Coverage: When Moore can drop into his zone, he's at his best. Watching him in that situation, he rarely makes mistakes and when he does it's either tactical (choosing to leave his zone) or mental (The Ravens play from 2012 playoffs comes to mind), not from a lack of skill. Moore isn't perfect, but when watching him, whenever we noted him dropping into that deep zone over the middle, we knew he'd likely stop the play from breaking big. Moore's quick back step almost always puts him in a great position to move to the play, the moment a player enters his zone he's rapid in his response. He rarely loses sight of receivers who try and get behind him and has a good sense of the field when he sticks in his scheme. As we watched more and more games, we kept saying "Why'd you leave your zone!" because his only mistakes come from him either getting greedy and trying to jump a route elsewhere or when he bites on a twist in a play. He's just so good when he plays to his responsibility, I have no idea why he just doesn't stay put all game.
- GRADE: 8.3

Closing/Recovery: A very odd area to watch Moore, for some reason he lacks speed when he gets beat to play catchup and rarely puts the effort to get across the field when things break down on the other side. One of the founding keys of any free safety is the ability to close in on the play, you see it in most NFL free safeties, but Moore seems to either have lost his speed from earlier in his career or just the effort to try. You don't see him flying to the receiver or racing to catch up, he's regularly beat in foot races by older or supposedly slower teammates, the worst was when Mike Adams and Shaun Phillips both passed him while chasing down a receiver. Now I can't say if it's a lack of effort or he's just that slow, but it's a big issue.
- GRADE: 6.3

Run Support: Moore shows consistently, both for the bad and the good, he will commit to the run, and he is able to see the path the runner will take and lock on and usually get a hit in, complications tend to arise due to his smaller size and poor tackling form. Now many free safeties may be undersized in relation to their height, two of the top safeties in the NFL, Seattle's Earl Thomas and Buffalo's Jairus Byrd, are shorter than Moore but Moore weighs less than either and lacks the bulk to tackle with his shoulder instead of his arms, and against big runners, it shows. He also has a impulse to over commit and when facing a player with a quick cut or juke, he can't correct. But because he's able to move to the play rather early, it's not as damaging as his poor tackling in coverage, especially since he isn't going to shy away from contact, a benefit despite his weaknesses.
- GRADE: 7.0

Tackling: As mentioned in run support, Rahim Moore lacks good tackling form, preferring to lead with his shoulder into the opponents legs rather than wrapping up with his arms. This does lead to some explosive hits, but more often than not it sees him bouncing off big running backs and receivers or has them recovering after he hits their legs. But the way Moore compensates for this is with energy, not avoiding the tackle, and attacking the runner with his short area burst. It's rare to seem Moore make a tackle far away from his starting location, he rarely runs the full field, but if opponents run or pass to his side of the field or into his zone, he'll put everything he has into his tackles.
- GRADE: 7.1

OVERALL GRADE: 7.14 (Slightly above average)

SUMMARY

THIS SCOUTING EXERCISE IMPROVED MY VIEW OF MOORE
Rahim Moore is not reliable in a lot of aspects of his game, especially in the mental aspect of the game as well as tackling basics, but he atones for this through other aspects, especially his ability to cover deep zones. He isn't a strong run defender due to his small build and poor tackling form, but he isn't afraid to shy away from contact, even though he isn't always successful. He isn't a high motor player, especially when the play is away from his side, often jogging to try and tackle the ball career more often than not to try and save plays. On quite a few plays others would come from behind him, pass him, and then make the tackle, CB Omar Bolden and S David Bruton did this on more than a few occasions.

Consequently, if the Broncos coaches can scheme to his strengths, drop him into a deep zone, as well as coach him up on not taking the initial bait on delayed plays like draw runs and play action, there is hope for him. He has shown skill; I came into this not a Rahim Moore fan, and while I still think he has major flaws in his game, I will say this scouting exercise improved my view of him. Moore has potential.

But there is still work to be done.

BearDen

High Ranking Member
Liked Posts:
So he's slightly above average. WORLDS better than what's on our roster. I'll take it.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So he's slightly above average. WORLDS better than what's on our roster. I'll take it.

exactly what i was thinking. we don't have an AVERAGE safety on the roster.

conte with his injuries and inconsistencies is below-average. makes great plays, then screws up big.
maybe mundy is average.
vereen has potential, he'll stick for now, but also played very inconsistently last year, but was a rookie, needs time.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
This will no doubt come as shocking news to the unwashed masses.

theOHIOSTATE!

Liked Posts:
......yes, I want a 25 yr old above average player who took 1000 snaps last yr in the NFL to replace sorry ass Chris Conte........

Next.

Josh2J

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Question. Is he an upgrade over Chris Conte and Vereen? = YES

End of story.

Nobody expects him to grade out as PFF's # 1 rated FS .... we just want a god dam decent player back there for a change, and ideally one that is still on the right side of 30.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
I don't think we have any choice but to pursue him. The options in the draft do not look too appealing to me.

If it is a matter of scheme, I trust Fangio's ability to design a system that plays to Moore's strengths.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I still have nightmares thinking about how badly out of position our secondary and coverage lbs were last year. It is hard for me to place all of the blame at the players themselves since some of them were at least decent in prior years or had good marks out of college. I guess that if this is true, then just coaching improvement alone will help the defense to get turned around.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
mccourty is a far better player, id like to go after him. but I guess moore is a decent #2 option considering the lack of talent we currently have back there and the lack of talent at FS in the draft

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
This was already posted in the other Moore thread! Also, Since when is Feb 21, 2014 considered "recent".

This article is a year old. Moore didn't play better and there is no upside. It's a joke you guys can't read, post duplicate threads, and constantly hammer on our players being crap yet praise some other teams cast off as a "Worlds better than what we have". He is not! Stop manufacturing players because you have some bugaboo about Conte!

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
mccourty is a far better player, id like to go after him. but I guess moore is a decent #2 option considering the lack of talent we currently have back there and the lack of talent at FS in the draft

If McCourty hits the market and his price tag isn't too out of hand he would be an ideal signing. Top FS on market by a country mile. With that being said Moore would be a solid signing that would solidify the position for years to come. To me it would come down to the difference in asking price. If the difference is minimal no question McCourty is the one to sign.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Moore would be a solid signing that would solidify the position for years to come.

Bullshit!

You manufacture players just like every other novice out there. Just like Carimi and Chris Williams were supposed to anchor our oline for years to come. I hate that phrase from noobs. I hear it so much regarding draft picks but 50% of the first round will never ever "solidify the position for years to come".

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Bullshit!

You manufacture players just like every other novice out there. Just like Carimi and Chris Williams were supposed to anchor our oline for years to come. I hate that phrase from noobs. I hear it so much regarding draft picks but 50% of the first round will never ever "solidify the position for years to come".

LOL ok? I guess you don't believe Moore is an above average starter? What the fuck does Moore, a proven NFL player, have to do with Carimi or Williams? He is also not a draft pick, he is a young quality NFL starter that can hold down the FS position for years to come.

Is he going to magically turn into Earl Thomas? No. Hell, he isn't even close to McCourty (as I referenced in my post) but he is a proven NFL starter.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
LOL ok? I guess you don't believe Moore is an above average starter? What the fuck does Moore, a proven NFL player, have to do with Carimi or Williams? He is also not a draft pick, he is a young quality NFL starter that can hold down the FS position for years to come.

Is he going to magically turn into Earl Thomas? No. Hell, he isn't even close to McCourty (as I referenced in my post) but he is a proven NFL starter.

Your doing it again...

As you type you make Moore a better player each time you reference him. First you say "above average starter". Than "Quality NFL starter". And not very long after that "Can hold down the FS position for years to come."

You don't get to decide how good Moore is by typing about him. He's average. Not above average, not a quality starter, not even someone you'd want on your team for more then two years. Yet you some how think that he's "that" good? Why?

You just make claims without supporting them. Which is why I referenced the phrase everyone hears during FA and the Draft. "solidify the position for years to come." You can't quantify that! Typing on the internet is giving you a false sense of "knowing the future".

Support your claim or don't. Either way, you've made nothing but unsupported claims that some poor innocent starving child is going to believe and rest all their hopes and prayers on a false sense of reality. Do you really want to be a monster? lol

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Your doing it again...

As you type you make Moore a better player each time you reference him. First you say "above average starter". Than "Quality NFL starter". And not very long after that "Can hold down the FS position for years to come."

You don't get to decide how good Moore is by typing about him. He's average. Not above average, not a quality starter, not even someone you'd want on your team for more then two years. Yet you some how think that he's "that" good? Why?

You just make claims without supporting them. Which is why I referenced the phrase everyone hears during FA and the Draft. "solidify the position for years to come." You can't quantify that! Typing on the internet is giving you a false sense of "knowing the future".

Support your claim or don't. Either way, you've made nothing but unsupported claims that some poor innocent starving child is going to believe and rest all their hopes and prayers on a false sense of reality. Do you really want to be a monster? lol

Has Moore proven to be better than any safety on the Bears current roster? I think the answer is yes. Therefore, his addition improves the team. What else do you want?

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
Your doing it again...

An above average starter is a quality starter. As I said is he going to be an all-pro like Thomas? No. What he will do is end the current safety carousel as you know what you get with Moore. Not every position is going to be filled with all-pros but that doesn't mean an above average starter can't solidify a position.

If you can get Moore at the right price and not have to worry about the safety position for the next 3-4 years that is solidifying the position. He would afford the Bears the ability to draft other positions for a few years and allow them time to find an upgrade over him.

As I said in my OP on the subject, if he values himself too high it is not worth it but at the right price he is a guy you can put back there that upgrades our current safety corps. If the team feels they need a pro bowl starter at the FS position then dish the big bucks to McCourty.

Mitchapalooza

Having Fox might lure him in. Would love this higher. 25 years old. He can definitely improve in the next few years, especially under Fangio.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Has Moore proven to be better than any safety on the Bears current roster? I think the answer is yes. Therefore, his addition improves the team. What else do you want?

I'm all for signing Moore but I see him as a Stop-gap vet. Nothing more. He'll be a guy on our roster for a few years that we will want to upgrade asap. He's just average. Better than Vereen, healthier than Conte but on par with Mundy.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Having Fox might lure him in. Would love this higher. 25 years old. He can definitely improve in the next few years, especially under Fangio.

Fox also might be the reason we don't sign Moore. And everything I hear about Fangio tells me Moore is a poor fit. So why do you think he'll improve in a defense that doesn't fit him?