Aaron Rodgers "Don't want to be part of rebuild . . ."

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
That’s a dumb argument. Players should get their money while they can, just like you or I would.

Speak for yourself. I don't care about money beyond having enough to live. I have worked many jobs in my life for shit money because I want to help someone out or because I believed in the business. Money is not a motivating factor in any aspect of my life.

Greed has a cost. I don't disagree that players have every right to get as much money as they can. That doesn't mean it's the right thing to do.

Dick Butka

Liked Posts:
That’s a dumb argument. Players should get their money while they can, just like you or I would.
Nothing dumb about it. Only greed would dictate otherwise. He already has generational wealth.

How much money do you need to leave behind when you kick the bucket?

Especially at the expense of happiness, assuming he would like to win.

Dick Butka

Liked Posts:
Greed has a cost.

You mean it isn't normal to start hypertension meds in your 30's, have your first stroke in your 50's, etc?

Or, have such a large chunk of the populous with diagnosable psychiatric disorders, especially anxiety/depression?

No worries... here's some nicotine, THC, booze to cover up your anxiety/depression, to get you through your shitty, everyday life.

The US is a perfect example of this.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Can someone with better cap understanding than me explain what they have to give up to keep Rodgers (assuming he restructures to a fair/slight pay cut at best)? I know Adams would go, but what else would have to happen? Could they not just do the restructuring cap Pace does and just keep kicking the can down the road?
They are 50 million over the cap to start the next nfl season.

PickSix

Liked Posts:
Don’t assume this Packer run is in the rear view mirror just yet.
While in a tough spot, I’d expect an extension for AR that will get them half way back to being cap compliant.
Cutting Z Smith, Amos and Cobb gets them the rest of the way. Not huge losses as they did quite well this year without Smith.
Resigning Adams though isn’t happening which is great. They will probably have to draft a WR with their first pick and pick up some retread that wants to play for AR on the cheap.
The back end of that AR extension is gonna be brutal on them too.
But I fully expect them to be back dominating the division again next year which sucks.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Feelings have to be mutual. Rodgers doesn't want to be back. This loss cemented it.

He'll get boatloads in the neighborhood of 50 million per season in free agency. No chance Packers can match that.

He's a big reason for this loss. 10 points from a first ballot HOFer and Top 3 QB in the league is inexcusible. The Packers D only allowed 6 points.

circusboy666

Liked Posts:
Of course he doesn’t. He’s selfish. Always about personal performance and stats. QBs with his skill set should have been in many more super bowls. Statistically a HOF player but not a HOF leader or teammate. He can carry his stats, but not his team.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
One of the lesser spoken about aspects of Tom Brady's success is that he has routinely taken much less money then he could so that his teams are better. $25 mil a year, less than numerous quarterbacks and even a bunch of position players.

If Aaron Rodgers was about anything other than Aaron Rodgers he almost certainly would have won(or even been to)multiple Super Bowls. He has no one but himself to blame.
Exactly. He pulls in more money from State Farm than football so I don't know why he wouldn't do it.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
So to sum it up:

- The Packers are 42M over the cap and in order to keep Rodgers, they would need to extend him since he is in the last year of his current deal which can not be restructured
- An extension would be hard to pull off without gutting the team which he likely would not be interested in without key prominent players
- An extension would also spell the end of the Jordan Love trial who they would have to make a decision on without giving adequete playing time on. How do you give a 5th year option to a QB that didn't play? At the same time, how do you release a 1st round QB that didn't play?

It sounds in order to keep Rodgers, they would have to workout a 2 year backloaded deal where he agrees to somewhat of a paycut to keep Adams. And they can kick the can down the road for one more year. But going into the 2023 year, they either have to be starting Love or have traded him. Because you can't make the decision to pick up his 5th year without knowing what you have. My guess is if they keep Rodgers, they try and trade Love for a 2nd rounder.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Honestly, if you are the Packers... what is so wrong with getting 2 or even 3 first round picks for a 38 year old QB and then rebuilding? Rodgers could start to take a step back in a few years anyway. Yeah, it's tough to have the mindset when you have been so competitive for the better part of 3 decades. But every franchise eventually rebuilds... No shame in doing it.

Get your picks... get 1-2 years as Love as the starter and see what you have. Or go all in for one more year where you tag Adams, pay Rodgers and at the end of the year the cupboard is bare and you likely need to draft a new QB anyway.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
GB could probably get about $30-40m from cutting Cobb, extending Clark, and cutting one of Preston or Zadarius Smith and extending the other. But it seems almost impossible they could add any WRs, and they really only have Amari Rodgers and maybe Lazard as RFA. Tonyan also an UFA.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
One of the lesser spoken about aspects of Tom Brady's success is that he has routinely taken much less money then he could so that his teams are better. $25 mil a year, less than numerous quarterbacks and even a bunch of position players.

If Aaron Rodgers was about anything other than Aaron Rodgers he almost certainly would have won(or even been to)multiple Super Bowls. He has no one but himself to blame.

Brady’s wife was making more money then he was so, he didn’t mind taking less money. Unless Rodgers marries a super model wife making a ton of money. I doubt he does what Brady did.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Brady’s wife was making more money then he was so, he didn’t mind taking less money. Unless Rodgers marries a super model wife making a ton of money. I doubt he does what Brady did.
Does that matter though?

I mean, who has the mindset that 50 million is not enough but 100 million is? You are either the type of person that always wants more money like a CEO, or you are the type of person that realizes that they have enough money and other things are more important. Brady fits into that category.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
So to sum it up:

- The Packers are 42M over the cap and in order to keep Rodgers, they would need to extend him since he is in the last year of his current deal which can not be restructured
- An extension would be hard to pull off without gutting the team which he likely would not be interested in without key prominent players
- An extension would also spell the end of the Jordan Love trial who they would have to make a decision on without giving adequete playing time on. How do you give a 5th year option to a QB that didn't play? At the same time, how do you release a 1st round QB that didn't play?

It sounds in order to keep Rodgers, they would have to workout a 2 year backloaded deal where he agrees to somewhat of a paycut to keep Adams. And they can kick the can down the road for one more year. But going into the 2023 year, they either have to be starting Love or have traded him. Because you can't make the decision to pick up his 5th year without knowing what you have. My guess is if they keep Rodgers, they try and trade Love for a 2nd rounder.
Andddddd that all means you still have not paid Davante Adams. This was the All-In season.

Angry Boomer

President Mayhem
Donator
Liked Posts:
20 yards in the 2nd half

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Canth

Liked Posts:
A lot of the money, with Rogers and to a degree Wilson, is also ego driven. They want to make sure they are the highest paid QB in the league as that means they are the best. Why does every contract have to be bigger than the last guy? The whole, I'm getting $35 million, but so and so got $36 million, so now I should get at least $38 million.

I will say this for Peyton Manning, at least he always honored the contract he signed. He made sure he was the highest paid when he signed, but he wasn't always trying to redo the deal the instant someone else got paid. At least, I don't remember him doing that.