Acoustic Basses

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I'm planning on picking up an acoustic bass pretty soon. Any recommendations?

Options I've been considering are a Spector Timbre, Michael Kelly Dragonfly Port, Boulder Creek ERB6-5N, or an Ovation.

Any input?

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My friend has an Ovation and it's really nice, fairly small too. I've never tried any of the others listed, but acoustic basses are damn cool.

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
You can go to music stores and try them out. It’s really a personal preference for me.

airtime143

This place is dead and buried.
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Back around the time of 5 man acoustical jam, a buddy I used to jam with bought an acoustic bass (the Washburn ab90 I think it was).

He used to leave it at my place and I fucked around with it from time to time.
Sounded great but the action was brutal.
Play that thing for a few months and you could remove a heart like Mola Ram.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I got a Michael Kelley dragonfly back about a decade ago. 5 string. I love it. But I agree with Leomaz that it really is such a personal preference thing that my opinion doesn't really matter.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Problem is that most of the local shops around me don't carry the stuff I'm interested in picking up. An Ovation maybe, but the other three don't appear to be carried or in stock at any of the places near me.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Problem is that most of the local shops around me don't carry the stuff I'm interested in picking up. An Ovation maybe, but the other three don't appear to be carried or in stock at any of the places near me.
Yeah, that is certainly a challenge. Honestly, I bought mine, sight unseen.

EDIT: I should add that this is my only acoustic bass. So I can't really give you a good comparison. Other than that, I have a pawn shop Hando that I took from my brother when he stopped playing. And then a 4 string and 5 string Ibanez.

Last edited:

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Yeah, that is certainly a challenge. Honestly, I bought mine, sight unseen.

EDIT: I should add that this is my only acoustic bass. So I can't really give you a good comparison. Other than that, I have a pawn shop Hando that I took from my brother when he stopped playing. And then a 4 string and 5 string Ibanez.

This will be my first bass. As far as other instruments, I have a 200CE series Taylor, a Cordoba 45 LTD (that thing is amazing), Lanikai SMPTU-T ukulele, B.C. Rich American made Warlock, Hyundai baby grand piano, Kurzweil PC2x, old school Pearl Export Series 7 piece kit (not counting snare/cymbals/other), and assorted randoms that just kind of lay about. Figured it was time to add something else I can practice in the middle of the night without having to learn a new instrument category (never picked up winds or brass, for example).

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This will be my first bass. As far as other instruments, I have a 200CE series Taylor, a Cordoba 45 LTD (that thing is amazing), Lanikai SMPTU-T ukulele, B.C. Rich American made Warlock, Hyundai baby grand piano, Kurzweil PC2x, old school Pearl Export Series 7 piece kit (not counting snare/cymbals/other), and assorted randoms that just kind of lay about. Figured it was time to add something else I can practice in the middle of the night without having to learn a new instrument category (never picked up winds or brass, for example).

Man, I've always loved those Warlocks. Such a cool shape.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Man, I've always loved those Warlocks. Such a cool shape.

They play really well too, at least the US made ones (the cheap Mexican versions have incredibly high action [although that may have improved over the last 15 years or so since I bought mine]).

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nice list of gear! Yeah. It sounds like you need a hobby like a bass. :p

Our band used to play metal and acoustic metal shows. I found that the Michael Kelley sounded good for that purpose, if that plays into info that you care about.

I recently started learning banjo. It is not going well for some reason.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nice list of gear! Yeah. It sounds like you need a hobby like a bass. :p

Our band used to play metal and acoustic metal shows. I found that the Michael Kelley sounded good for that purpose, if that plays into info that you care about.

I recently started learning banjo. It is not going well for some reason.

Once I get used to the bass I'll be a one man rock band! (if only I had a better voice)

Banjo is on the "eventually" list. Also need to pick up a resonator at some point. Probably a Recording King since it can double as a two handed mace in the event of actual appocolypse.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Once I get used to the bass I'll be a one man rock band! (if only I had a better voice)

Banjo is on the "eventually" list. Also need to pick up a resonator at some point. Probably a Recording King since it can double as a two handed mace in the event of actual appocolypse.
I was going to ask where the link to your solo band recordings are! But then I realized this is CCS and probably a bad idea to post it here....

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I was going to ask where the link to your solo band recordings are! But then I realized this is CCS and probably a bad idea to post it here....

The shit I tend to record is piano or classical guitar pieces I've written. And yeah, no way to direct upload, and don't need the fucking weirdos around here being creepier than they usually are.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Ordered the Kelly 5 Port Java.

1_Full_Straight_Front_NA-18b1362725cfeb1f66ea129c345420be.jpg

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Looks nice. Just curious, but why did you go with a 5 string?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Looks nice. Just curious, but why did you go with a 5 string?

I play/write classical music as well as some other stuff, and having a low B gives me access to some chord progressions a four string wouldn't (primarily cadential 6/4 and secondary-dominant augmented 6th chords).