Adam Shaheen

Briggs is GOAT

Liked Posts:
Is Shaheen going to be heavily involved in the passing game? I think it would be a big mistake for him not to be, he's a major red zone threat and I think he's a special talent. Great hands and incredible size makes him a handful. Shaheen should break out next year but they need to give him the opportunity to do so.

I don't think Burton has proven to be much of a pass catcher (not that he's bad at it, just that it isn't his role).

Thoughts?

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I could definitely see Shaheen taking a big leap this year. I wouldn’t be surprised if he came into camp slimmer and faster now that he’s (hopefully) not on the chipotle diet anymore.

I’m cautiously optimistic about his future on the Bears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit Man

Liked Posts:
I bet you see both them in the line up 90% of the time inside the 20. A pass catching TE is a big part of Nagy's offense so they will both get a lot of playing time.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Burton is going to be t he move TE that gets time from the slot. He will have every chance to be a major threat on this offense. But that won't take away from Shaheen - I see him getting 50 or so receptions playing inline (I actually see both getting 50-60 receptions). He can scoot it so he'll also be a threat for YAC.

I see our offense being centered on two-TE sets. They both have mismatch potential that it would be advantageous to keep both out there as often as we can. Our RPO plays will be murderous.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Burton is going to be t he move TE that gets time from the slot. He will have every chance to be a major threat on this offense. But that won't take away from Shaheen - I see him getting 50 or so receptions playing inline (I actually see both getting 50-60 receptions). He can scoot it so he'll also be a threat for YAC.

I see our offense being centered on two-TE sets. They both have mismatch potential that it would be advantageous to keep both out there as often as we can. Our RPO plays will be murderous.
I think we'll see the '13' personnel about 25% to 30% of the time....

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'm one of the first people to say I want heavy doses of Adam Shaheen next season but its crazy to believe Burton isn't a pass catching tight end. That is nearly exclusively what he is. He isn't a traditional inline tight end, that is for sure. I would be very surprised if both Burton and Shaheen didn't have significant chances in this offense. Hell, Nagy wants to throw out 13 personnel onto the field which is 1 RB, 1 WR and 3 TEs. Hard to believe someone willing to use 13 personnel sets isn't going to also use two tight end sets as well.

Leon Sandcastle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is Shaheen going to be heavily involved in the passing game? I think it would be a big mistake for him not to be, he's a major red zone threat and I think he's a special talent. Great hands and incredible size makes him a handful. Shaheen should break out next year but they need to give him the opportunity to do so.

I don't think Burton has proven to be much of a pass catcher (not that he's bad at it, just that it isn't his role).

Thoughts?

I think that is exactly his role.

RochBear

Liked Posts:
I bet you see both them in the line up 90% of the time inside the 20. A pass catching TE is a big part of Nagy's offense so they will both get a lot of playing time.

Good point, and this is critical. With the 'explosion' of offense over the last many years, defenses more than ever, are in the bend don't break scheme, designed to really stop the offense once in the red zone.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
hmm.....Burton is a pass catching TE. That's exactly the reason he was brought here.

Edit: I see other posters beat me to it.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Thoughts?

What are the odds we see a Burton to Shaheen TD pass in the red zone??

If Burton's role isn't catching passes then what is it cause he's not a great blocker?

BearFanJohn

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Look how K.C used Kelse. Not comparing Shaheen to Kelse but Nagy is going to spread it around. And Shaheen is a big target.

bears51/40

Liked Posts:
I'm one of the first people to say I want heavy doses of Adam Shaheen next season but its crazy to believe Burton isn't a pass catching tight end. That is nearly exclusively what he is. He isn't a traditional inline tight end, that is for sure. I would be very surprised if both Burton and Shaheen didn't have significant chances in this offense. Hell, Nagy wants to throw out 13 personnel onto the field which is 1 RB, 1 WR and 3 TEs. Hard to believe someone willing to use 13 personnel sets isn't going to also use two tight end sets as well.
I believe KC was in two tight end sets 38% of the time last year, so I am sure Nagy will want to be close to that figure this year with the Bears. Both Burton and Shaheen will have major roles in this offense.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will see an offense unlike anything we have ever seen on the Bears. Players stengths will actually be utilized. I expect the best of the Oregon offense with KC and Eagles concepts dominating. I'm pumped.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Burton will play the Kelce role...Adam the 'baby gronk' role.

DJMoore_is_fat

Liked Posts:
Sheehan will be cut before the season starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I think we'll see the '13' personnel about 25% to 30% of the time....

It appears you are directing that on my comment of our offense being centered on 2-TE sets. 13 personnel is a 3-TE set, which I didnt comment on. Having out two TEs (which, mind you, includes "13" personnel) is mismatch heaven for Trubisky to exploit, given that Shaheen is bigger than every LB I know of with good movement skills, and Burton is going to have a lot of fun being moved to the slot where he can take advantage of smaller DBs.

I doubt a 25-30% for three TE sets. In KC, the offense that is most logically used to project what we will be doing, the 3rd and the TE combined for 149 snaps, shy of 15% of their total offensive snaps. I didnt watch enough games to note how often their 3rd and 4th string TEs were in with Kelce out, so I cannot say that this 15 represents how often they were in 3 TE sets, but it is a solid enough number to stand on for our hypothetical offense next year.

Barring injury, I have Burton and Shaheen both getting between 50-60 receptions, and our 3rd and 4th stringers, whoever they may be, getting no more than 10 receptions apiece.

Tostada

Liked Posts:
Uh...yeah...Nagy has a desire to use mismatches quite a bit. He will go 2 TE about 45% with the Bears personnel ...and I'd say we do a high % of 3TE with this personnel...Cohen and Gabriel being the wr and rb...

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Thoughts?
Whether he is " heavily involved" or not will be up to him. Nagy doesn't seem the type to shy away from using younger players or having players slotted into a rigid role. If he is a "special talent" and plays that way he will get his looks.