Advanced Stats say maybe the Bears shouldn’t give in to Roquan

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I kind of agree with this. At first I was pretty down with paying smith asap. Now it might be better seeing how he fits before making such a large investment.

I think he’s going to do pretty well in this defense but why fork out 100 mil before seeing it happen

JordanSigler

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I kind of agree with this. At first I was pretty down with paying smith asap. Now it might be better seeing how he fits before making such a large investment.

I think he’s going to do pretty well in this defense but why fork out 100 mil before seeing it happen
Him sitting out might be the difference between a top 2 pick instead of a top 5. Not much to lose this season. Sucks to holdout on a bad team lol.

twetz

Liked Posts:
I think that fits into what I've seen over his time so far - I don't believe he is elite. He is a pretty good linebacker and he'd be hard, but not impossible to replace. Unfortunately, the current state of affairs in the NFL is that players are getting paid. I don't view Kyler Murray as some type of 'wow' QB, but 'pay the man' is where things are currently at. If the Bears revert to the old 'George Halas throws nickels around like they're manhole covers' you'll ultimately pay a price as a franchise that could have quite an impact if you ever want to hoist the Lombardi and throw it from luxury yacht to luxury yacht.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Him sitting out might be the difference between a top 2 pick instead of a top 5. Not much to lose this season. Sucks to holdout on a bad team lol.
He might hold out the whole preseason I doubt he does in season. If he loafs around all year it will cost him. Allen robinson cost himself at least 5 mil a year mailing it in last year.

Bust

Liked Posts:
It would be just like duh bears to make a weakside linebacker the highest paid at that position.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Here is the thing. Quan is a leader of this team and has done everything the team has asked up prior to TC including attending all the voluntary workouts.

If you really trying to change the culture you have to reward guys like that either by extending them or trading them to someone who will. Forcing him to play this season without a long term deal is going to hurt in the long run IMO.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Here is the thing. Quan is a leader of this team and has done everything the team has asked up prior to TC including attending all the voluntary workouts.

If you really trying to change the culture you have to reward guys like that either by extending them or trading them to someone who will. Forcing him to play this season without a long term deal is going to hurt in the long run IMO.
Interesting take but idk no one of the pace regime players came off as leaders like the lovie era urlacher and brown. Those guys were leaders.

Bust

Liked Posts:

huh? culture? Roquan has been with duh bears 4 seasons already and they have had one winning season to show for it.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:

Good points, but at this juncture I don’t think they should pay an ILB top dollar. I said before they absolutely should trade him if the return is good.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I think there's a growing reality here that its likely nobody is giving up more than a third round pick for a player who plays such a non-premium position, doesn't generate turnovers and is going to demand the largest contract ever at the position before he suits up for the season. Roquan's age and All-Pro's don't matter as much as we think they do. They would if he were a pass rusher or cornerback, but he's not.

Either way, the Bears have a couple more weeks to wait this out. Hopefully a contending team in one of the ultra-tough divisions finds themselves believing its worth parting with a first (or maybe it can be done for as little as a second) round pick to get a Roquan Smith sized boost to their defense before the season.

Visionman

Liked Posts:

Disagree. He’s not a leader on THIS team. He was a leader under the previous regime’s team. He hasn’t proven anything here yet.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
He picked his hold out for his rookie year when he could quibble over minor things. A 2nd holdout should send him packing, he's a cancer.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
He picked his hold out for his rookie year when he could quibble over minor things. A 2nd holdout should send him packing, he's a cancer.
And if he plays up to this veteran contract it is a near certainty he will hold out again to get another payday before he turns thirty. Not the worst case scenario since at least it would mean he's playing well, but I dont think he's such an outstanding player that he's worth that headache.

Maybe in an Eberflus defense that's the most talented the Bears have had since Smith's rookie season he could be that oustanding of a player? Fine, but he's not going to play on his fifth year option and it would be silly for the Bears to commit to him being a player he's never really been before.

Reactions: Myk

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Several players have spoke to the media and said Smith is the leader of the defense. That was THIS year with THIS team.
I'm not denything that this is true, I'm just saying its not so valuable that it makes it worth paying him what he's apparently demanding.