Advanced Stats say maybe the Bears shouldn’t give in to Roquan

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
And if he plays up to this veteran contract it is a near certainty he will hold out again to get another payday before he turns thirty. Not the worst case scenario since at least it would mean he's playing well, but I dont think he's such an outstanding player that he's worth that headache.

Maybe in an Eberflus defense that's the most talented the Bears have had since Smith's rookie season he could be that oustanding of a player? Fine, but he's not going to play on his fifth year option and it would be silly for the Bears to commit to him being a player he's never really been before.

People say he's so great, I don't see it. Good, yes. But he's not playing up to his draft pick let alone greatness.
People say he's a leader. He may be but that's in a sense that there's nobody else to fill the role. He's no Singletary or Urlacher that I can tell. I don't see the team falling like they did with the loss of Urlacher because they're not high enough to fall from there (and that wasn't very high by the time he left).

NFL works by what have you done lately not what do you plan on doing in the future.

I hadn't even though of this inflating his head even more for a 3rd consecutive holdout. I'm sure you're right.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Interesting take but idk no one of the pace regime players came off as leaders like the lovie era urlacher and brown. Those guys were leaders.

Jaylon Johnson just said he was a leader and he was one of the few vets that attended the voluntary practices.

huh? culture? Roquan has been with duh bears 4 seasons already and they have had one winning season to show for it.

Did I need to explain that culture and winning are 2 different things?

Disagree. He’s not a leader on THIS team. He was a leader under the previous regime’s team. He hasn’t proven anything here yet.

The Bears disagree with you.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He picked his hold out for his rookie year when he could quibble over minor things. A 2nd holdout should send him packing, he's a cancer.

The Bears wanted to void his guarantees over helmet to helmet hits. That is not minor and Bears position was absurd.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Meh, they got plenty of money next year, my guess is they are hoping to postpone his contract and then front load a new one next offseason.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
People say he's so great, I don't see it. Good, yes. But he's not playing up to his draft pick let alone greatness.
People say he's a leader. He may be but that's in a sense that there's nobody else to fill the role. He's no Singletary or Urlacher that I can tell. I don't see the team falling like they did with the loss of Urlacher because they're not high enough to fall from there (and that wasn't very high by the time he left).

NFL works by what have you done lately not what do you plan on doing in the future.

I hadn't even though of this inflating his head even more for a 3rd consecutive holdout. I'm sure you're right.

Really? Even though he has more tackles, tackles for loss and the lowest passer rating against among ILB's in the league. Either you're not watching him, you're blind or you don't know shit about football.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Really? Even though he has more tackles, tackles for loss and the lowest passer rating against among ILB's in the league. Either you're not watching him, you're blind or you don't know shit about football.
Where are the turnovers? The sacks? TFL's are nice, passer rating is kind of a dumb stat but whatever its not like Roquan Smith isn't a good coverage linebacker, and tackles are just meaningless noise.

If you're gonna pay a position other than cornerback or edge rusher twenty million or more a year that guy better be racking up the sacks or racking up the turnovers. Smith does neither really, and finding somebody who is a little worse in coverage and maybe has four or so fewer TFL's over the course of a season is a fine tradeoff if it saves you fifteen million in cap space every year.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
Where are the turnovers? The sacks? TFL's are nice, passer rating is kind of a dumb stat but whatever its not like Roquan Smith isn't a good coverage linebacker, and tackles are just meaningless noise.

If you're gonna pay a position other than cornerback or edge rusher twenty million or more a year that guy better be racking up the sacks or racking up the turnovers. Smith does neither really, and finding somebody who is a little worse in coverage and maybe has four or so fewer TFL's over the course of a season is a fine tradeoff if it saves you fifteen million in cap space every year.

Yeah, good coverage is really dumb. Are you for fucking real??? :jonesy:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Yeah, good coverage is really dumb. Are you for fucking real??? :jonesy:
Its a dumb stat in a league where guys can play zone one play and man the next. I'm not disagreeing that Smith is one of the better coverage LB's in the league, I'm just saying that stat isn't really telling you much.

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears

I shouldn't have to tell you this, but a MLB or ILB isn't gonna generally rack up a bunch of sacks.

• Haha
Reactions: Myk

SlickWilly

Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
Its a dumb stat in a league where guys can play zone one play and man the next. I'm not disagreeing that Smith is one of the better coverage LB's in the league, I'm just saying that stat isn't really telling you much.

LOL! It's literally telling you he knows how to cover well. :what:

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I shouldn't have to tell you this, but a MLB or ILB isn't gonna generally rack up a bunch of sacks.
...then wtf are you paying him twenty million dollars a year for?! Spend that money on somebody who does get sacks and does get interceptions because those are the game-changing plays and the skills that are rarest around the league.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
I can see spending twenty million dollars a year for player that OC have to scheme for. For Smith not so much, he is better than avg linebacker. That's about it.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
If your his teammate what are you suppose to say he sucks don't pay him, no you say pay the man because your turn is coming. He is a weak side LB that has the speed to cover that's what you should pay for. He is not elite money he can't change the game like an Urlacher or Briggs could.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
If your his teammate what are you suppose to say he sucks don't pay him, no you say pay the man because your turn is coming. He is a weak side LB that has the speed to cover that's what you should pay for. He is not elite money he can't change the game like an Urlacher or Briggs could.
If he was in camp showing how good he actually can be at WLB, maybe things would change…

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:

Yes really. What part of your fucking pea brain can't comprehend "I don't see it." is my opinion? But nobody is allowed to have an opinion unless it's yours? Fuck you!