Alex Bars the future at guard?

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Everyone loved him last year but he is an after thought this season cause pace didn’t draft a guard in the fifth round lol

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
He started 60 games and has the same aproximate value as taylor decker and leremy tunsil.

He's been okay/solid. He's not good, but he's better than what we had last year at RG.

If he can cut down his penalties he has a chance to be an improvement.

if he was solid, then why was he let go? He’s not much of an improvement, and we are banking on a guy that hasn’t shown much...to suddenly be a solid player for us. They needed to address this in the draft, and they didn’t...I’m going to call out pace for that. Defend away if you wish

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
TE was just as crucial to improve imo.

I dunno. If you think the TE draft class is good (as Pace did) and you dont think the OL class is good (we can infer that from no OL taken) then why pay Graham $8m instead of Glasgow $12m or whatever he got.

We had such limited capital and in hindsight the Graham deal is a stinker.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
That was a terrible signing but they didn’t know the best rated te in the draft was falling to the second round
We over paid but now I like the signing a little better. We need a vet to show the kid how to be a pro.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
That was a terrible signing but they didn’t know the best rated te in the draft was falling to the second round

It was an overpay when it happened and it looks even worse now.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
Everyone loved him last year but he is an after thought this season cause pace didn’t draft a guard in the fifth round lol

He was good value as an UDFA and he might turn into something.

He is not someone I am banking on to be a starting RG in 2020.

Both these statements cam be true.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Getting a healthy Bars back is the same as drafting a 2-3 Round Guard that everyone has been clamoring for. I think we’re in better shape on the O-line than most people think.
This. For whatever reason people here seem to think that a rookie mid-late rd selection being better than players like Spriggs and Ifedi is a foregone conclusion, when most don’t turn out any better than those 2 have thus far.

Menchifus

Liked Posts:
A 5th round Olineman is not going to do anything for this team. Bars and Ifedi won't be unseated by a rookie 5th rounder. If the new offensive coaches feel that Bars and Ifedi are good enough to plug into the RG hole, then I'm fine with that.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
They had no money and no draft picks.

You expected miracles?

At least they brought in some talent.

No money is simply not true. They still actually have over 10Mil in cap space right now (without signed draft picks). There wasn't a single FA guard that has a cap hit that couldn't have fit under that space.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The Bears must feel solid enough with the talent we have. Not many interior OL got taken before we selected both of our 2nd round picks.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ifedi was decent at RG. He struggled with pass protection and flags at RT.

https%3A%2F%2Fimages.saymedia-content.com%2F.image%2FMTcxNDYwNTg1NTcyMDE3ODI2%2F2016-to-2018-comparative.png

He played RG as a rookie and sucked. Far from decent.

Now of course that was as a rookie so likely better at it now.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They had no money and no draft picks.

You expected miracles?

At least they brought in some talent.

No he expected what you did. OL early. You story is changing completely. You were talking about multiple OL early right up to draft.

Pace has to hace you and DaBears on payroll. Yall change to fit what Pace does faster than a stripper when Lil Wayne about to make it rain.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I could see Bars being solid at rg, but Massie and leno and our tackles are still terrible

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He played RG as a rookie and sucked. Far from decent.

Now of course that was as a rookie so likely better at it now.

IDK why people keep saying he was decent at guard when he played. It was his lowest graded season by PFF (he's actually gotten marginally better each year) and was pretty bad.

Having watched a bunch of his snaps at tackle the last couple years....he'd definitely stand a better chance at guard, as he needs to be in tight spaces. But definitely not feeling confident if he wins the job.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Funny that nobody questions the poor performance at rb. Montgomery is a high character guy, but slow and average at best.
Jim Brown could have looked average last year behind that line.