Alfonso Soriano's Endless Contract

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
MLB: Alfonso Soriano and and how his long-term deal affects the Chicago Cubs - ESPN

If any general manager is feeling the hot seat, it's Chicago Cubs GM Jim Hendry. Hendry's tenure in Chicago hasn't been without success, with the team making two consecutive postseasons (2007-08) for the first time in the divisional era and putting together three straight winning seasons, something the team hadn't done since Leo Durocher managed in the early '70s.

The Cubs finished their 97-win 2008 season by getting swept out of the divisional series for the second straight year, and since then, the team has defied expectations -- in the wrong direction -- every season, and it's fighting with the Astros for fifth place in the National League Central.

Whether the team is run by Hendry or his successor this winter, there's a lot of money coming off the books that should provide at least a chance to right a team with enough core talent to compete in a weak division. Aramis Ramirez's contract ends at the end of the year, with absolutely no chance of having his $16 million team option picked up; their combined $30 million yearly salary of Ryan Dempster and Carlos Zambrano ends after next year; and Carlos Pena's non-comeback year comes under a one-year contract.

for those that aren't poor can read the rest at the link.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
I learned on this site that Soriano is one of the best fielders in the game, and that Derek Jeter is lucky to still be in the MLB. So I don't know why anyone would complain about Soriano's contract.

Of course he is, have you seen his Range Factor? :smug:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I learned on this site that Soriano is one of the best fielders in the game, and that Derek Jeter is lucky to still be in the MLB. So I don't know why anyone would complain about Soriano's contract.

Not sure how people saying Soriano is an average to above average defensive LF equate best fielders in the game, but hey I mean at least you learned something right?

and who said Derek Jeter is lucky to still be in the MLB? I mean he is still approximately the 7th best hitting SS of all time, and overall probably a top 15 SS of all time.

He is just happens to be the most overrated defensive player..... ever.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
remember when soriano used to steal bases?

ya....me neither:shifty:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
remember when soriano used to steal bases?

ya....me neither:shifty:

Remember when he played center field like he was supposed to?

Whats amazing is according to that article there are actually three worse contracts in the majors.

Since I have to give away my awards I will give one to anyone who names all three.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am a troll thanks.

Also beautiful rebuttal there, Lefty.

well at least you admit it.

See we both like what we call each other.

You call me lefty, which I am proud to be one.

You are a worthless troll, which you seem to be proud to be.

Now please go back to your bridge. I think someone is trying to get in that boys hole.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
What happened to that thread? I can't find it anywhere.

No idea.

I think it imploded because of it's idiocy.

*Waits for CO to come in here and tell us that Soriano has been "very good" for the Cubs and was a top 10 player in 2007*

:rofl:

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
No idea.

I think it imploded because of it's idiocy.

*Waits for CO to come in here and tell us that Soriano has been "very good" for the Cubs and was a top 10 player in 2007*

:rofl:

He was close in 2007. His fielding probably wasn't as good as it says it was, but he was a top 12-15 player that year.

The Cubs made the playoffs in 2007 pretty much because of Alfonso Soriano.

He certainly hasn't been very good for the Cubs (other than 2007) but he hasn't been bad either (other than 2009).

He's just been good for us, he certainly isn't living up to his contract thought, not even close.

Though look on the bright side.... at least we didn't give Ryan Howard the deal he got.

TheCubfather

Holy Cow!
Liked Posts:
want to know what soriano buys with all that money?

2719463047_b22c7ace0f_z.jpg

TheCubfather

Holy Cow!
Liked Posts:
Remember when he played center field like he was supposed to?

Whats amazing is according to that article there are actually three worse contracts in the majors.

Since I have to give away my awards I will give one to anyone who names all three.

currently, i'm not sure and don't really want to know. but in the last few seasons the vernon wells contract with Toronto was pretty shitty as well as Zito in san francisco.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you say "top 12-15 player that year", do you mean among all players, National Leaguers, or left fielders? Nice range, BTW. I would say Fukudome is a top 286-291 player. Amazing how his OBP is significantly higher than his SLG.

All players.

And you should see my range in softball it easily rivals Sorianos.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Soriano was pretty good in 2008 too.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
currently, i'm not sure and don't really want to know. but in the last few seasons the vernon wells contract with Toronto was pretty shitty as well as Zito in san francisco.

Wells: Ding!

Zito: Wah wah!

Wells ranks 3rd.

Zito ranks 7.

Though the difference between Soriano and Zito is only about 6 million, and I am pretty sure Soriano has one extra year.

TheCubfather

Holy Cow!
Liked Posts:
i can think of a few more bad contracts:

-jayson werth(7 yrs, 126 mil)
-miguel cabrera(8 yrs, 150 mil)
-joe mauer
-a-rod