ALL-22: Nagy, RPO, and bye-week "self-scouting"

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Last week Nagy talked about how the coaching staff would be using the bye week to "self scout" and make improvements. Then news breaks that Long was going to IR and that Coward would be starting in his place. I, like many Bears fan's I'm sure, assumed all the "self scouting" talk and the Coward/Long swap would result in a renewed focus and commitment to the run game vs the Saints. Surely, with a QB wearing a shoulder harness coming fresh off a torn labrum we'd finally see Nagy pound the ball....

7 runs and 54 pass attempts later that was obviously not the case.

Before we get to the GIFs, I can't help but wonder: What's the point of a RPO system with a non-running QB?

It's obvious that Trubisky doesn't want to use his legs for whatever reason this year, and now after the injury is even less likely to run the ball since he's trying to heal up a torn labrum... so I'm a bit confused as to why we're still running RPO concepts at this point at all... seems pretty pointless.

I mean, unless your entire franchise's philosophy is that you're not going to pay big money for a QB and are just going to cycle in a new athlete to play QB every few years (due to the inevitable injuries from running as a QB) I'm not sure why you'd run a RPO based offense.

I honestly don't get Nagy's love affair with the RPO... but I digress...

Run #1: First offensive play of the game... didn't go for 17 yards... uh oh.. Nagy starts twitching....
Kr3IVUg.gif

Run #2: Second series, what does Nagy dial up on 1st down... gimmick spread option run to the sideline for no gain!!
xjMGsg9.gif

I am SHOCKED, SHOCKED I SAY, that this play didn't work... ?

Run #3... another convoluted RPO run... (in slow motion so you can fully appreciate it)
Massie blocks air.
Whitehair pulls and blocks Shaheen.
Leno lightly touches 2 defenders.
fzhtfam.gif

DOES NAGY PRACTICE THESE RUN PLAYS AT ALL?!?!? WHO IS DRAWING THIS STUFF UP?!?

Run #4: WR toss to Miller?!? Nagy must be huffing spray paint in a paper bag in between play calls
De106zK.gif

Run #5: Last run play of the 1st half. Yet another Cohen run out of bounds but hey, it somehow went for 9 yards.
kBt3NNa.gif

And that's it for the 1st half. I'm not even going to bother with 2 second half runs as it should be pretty clear that Nagy's scheme sucks dick. Without a doubt the worst running team I've ever seen in my lifetime of watching NFL football. Congrats Nagy.

But enough about the run game, let's check out a few clips of the passing game.

Lest the meatballs whine that this thread is just making excuses for Mitch and blaming Nagy for everything, here's his whiff to a wide open Gabriel.
No excuses for this one. Squarely on him.
39cKAn1.gif

Same for this one. Take a look at this freeze frame.
It's the last frame before Mitch comes off his first read to ARob and takes the sack.
This is a QB that's playing with ZERO confidence.
A confident QB doesn't hesitate and lays that up and over the CB in that soft spot before the S gets over.

Here's another one that's squarely on Mitch.
His overthrow to Miller.
lbrgD3f.gif

To review...

Things I blame Mitch for:
  • Inconsistent accuracy
  • Playing with zero confidence
  • Ineffective decision making (due to: lack of confidence, pre-determining reads)
Things I blame Nagy for:
  • Bye week self scouting was a bunch of bullshit
  • His gimmick RPO system is predictable and is no longer fooling anyone
  • Immediately abandons the run when it fails to meet his unrealistic 17 yards a pop expectations
    • ineffectiveness can be directly attributed to Special person run blocking scheme/assignments
  • Passing concepts lack creativity
  • Play calling lacks any sort of strategy

A few additional tidbits....

Pretty tired of the narrative that Nagy is getting people open.

They'll see something like this with a single high safety, Miller streaking wide open down the field and wonder why Mitch isn't getting him the ball....
Clearly Mitch "must not be seeing the field" they'll say...

Well, let's take a look at the pocket angle and see why he didn't "see the field".
oLuZQUn.gif

Oh, right, he barely has time to look at the safety before the play is blown up by the 2 v 1 on Leno.
We got 3 guys blocking 2 on the right side of the line and 2 guys blocking 3 on the left. Nice...

Behold as 2 WR's run identical 3 yard hitch routes standing right next to each other.
VhuKIER.gif

TRIPLE CURLS!!!
Fzcqa17.gif

You don't even want to know how many curl routes I could post from this game.

Matter of fact I'll call it quits for now. If there are any other plays you want to see let me know.

Attachments

• 1571860519138.png
    1571860519138.png
    780.5 KB · Views: 5

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The RPO needs to go. I think it's the source of all the OL blocking issues.

On that note, I've never seen so many "friendly fire" blocks ever in my life.

The tight ends are always either moving into the path of an offensive lineman or the ball carrier. It’s incredible, and it happens every single week.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
O line blocking thin air at times
Compressing the middle when the play is outside zone
Blocking each other

Im interested in seeing the defensive lines. We all know the offense sucks. We aren't adding anything we all didn't already know.

Let's pick on the defense. Tired or not, I saw some terrible angles, penalties and poor zone assignments.

Throw them all under the bus!

Calabis

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first gif the pro, watch tape never lies, he runs a guy in motion and that defender is the one who stops Cohen, if not its probably a 8 to 10 yard gain

DeathByBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The most damning thing about the run game is it somehow worse than this miserable pass offense. Try wrapping your mind around that.
It’s not hard to imagine when you watch the tape. Guys not finishing. Guys facing the wrong way. Guys blocking teammates instead of linebackers.

It’s a god damn circus on offense.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first gif the pro, watch tape never lies, he runs a guy in motion and that defender is the one who stops Cohen, if not its probably a 8 to 10 yard gain

Yup saw that as well watching the tape never lies... chalk up yet another reason why Nagy's scheme sucks. All that motion might have fooled people last year but clearly nobody is fooled anymore and as seen in that play all it accomplished was bringing another defender right over to perfectly fill the hole.

I just don't understand Nagy's refusal to move away from concepts that clearly aren't working. Also, watching Leno's candyass playing patty-cake out there makes me want to rip my TV off the wall. Followed closely by all the plays where we got guys tripping over each other and/or blocking each other.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Maybe try actually reading first instead of jumping straight to being an insufferable douche.

Well if you had bothered to read my post, which began with an acronym saying "too long and I'm not interested enough to read", you wouldn't have to ask why I didn't read it. Duh.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well if you had bothered to read my post, which began with an acronym saying "too long and I'm not interested enough to read", you wouldn't have to ask why I didn't read it. Duh.

So you weren't interested but clicked on the thread anyways just to post a lame acronym about not being interested....
Makes sense (y)

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So you weren't interested but clicked on the thread anyways just to post a lame acronym about not being interested....
Makes sense (y)

Just wanted to see who was holding Trubisky back this week.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just wanted to see who was holding Trubisky back this week.

I think you might have TDS (Trubisky Derangement Syndrome). You're looking for phantom excuses for Mitch that aren't there. My criticisms of Nagy don't absolve Trubisky of anything.

The situation with Trubisky is easy to understand. Zero confidence, playing timid all year, not using his legs enough, not challenging down the field enough, inconsistent accuracy, making bad pre-determinations.

The situation with Nagy on the other hand makes zero sense. No idea what this guy is thinking. A bye week of "self scouting" and the result is the same exact shit from week 1, but worse? Instead of making the obvious corrections, Nagy doubles down. Not a good sign. Can't wait to see the gameplan he rolls out this week.

Willis1524

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sometimes I think that for all the hype on getting the “next offensive genius” coach, some are just making offensive systems that are too complex and end up out smarting themselves.