Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Quiet offseason. Jerry won't pay the big money for players, either.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its just getting into the time when trades and signings happen. They will get a starting pitcher. Sign a good closer, and probably sign Brantley for right field. Forget about Reinny blowing up his budget. He won't and fortunately the smart things that the SOx have done trade wise, drafting, and the South American connection have elevated the Sox as what I think will be a World Series contender by the time the season starts.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Its just getting into the time when trades and signings happen. They will get a starting pitcher. Sign a good closer, and probably sign Brantley for right field. Forget about Reinny blowing up his budget. He won't and fortunately the smart things that the SOx have done trade wise, drafting, and the South American connection have elevated the Sox as what I think will be a World Series contender by the time the season starts.
You know Cuba is not in South America?

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You know Cuba is not in South America?

Yeah. This was meant in a general way. You know, the Sox connection goes beyond just Cuba, it includes South American players and players from the Dominican Republic, etc. Now then, what is your opinion?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Yeah. This was meant in a general way. You know, the Sox connection goes beyond just Cuba, it includes South American players and players from the Dominican Republic, etc. Now then, what is your opinion?

What South American connection do the Sox have that is stronger than other MLB teams?

What is my opinion on what?

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Shouldn’t be quiet now...

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
What South American connection do the Sox have that is stronger than other MLB teams?

What is my opinion on what?

The general approach that the Sox are having with signing a lot of foreign baseball players. It sure looks to me that their foreign scouting organization has done a great job with moving on identifying some very young baseball talent and making them feel comfortable to sign with the Chicago White Sox.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It looks to me that Hahn is following what the Sox did last year namely striking early in the free agent market and then waiting a bit to see what happens with the other teams and where the money demands fall. They did it with the trade with the Rangers coming first and the Eaton signing, then waiting and now they will finish the additions to their roster. Its smart thinking to me.

I think that they will sign Brantley to a two year incentive laden deal. Maybe a one deal with a team option for a second year. Long run, I think they see Caespedes as their right fielder. But put BRantley in that present line-up and bring Vaughn up maybe in mid-summer and I'd hate to be an opposing pitcher facing that lne-up.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They did what they needed to do to get better(Lynn/Eaton/Hendricks), in addition to personal growth potential with-in.(Kopech/Robert/Jiminez/Gio/Madrigaland more)

I like where they are. Contenders. We will have to be beat out late in a MLB season again. Just keep rolling the dice into good odds and it will happen.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bears
Sure hope that we can attend games this summer. Agree with Hawk in signing Brantney, doubt that they will go after Springer. Getting excited in my pants....lol.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sure hope that we can attend games this summer. Agree with Hawk in signing Brantney, doubt that they will go after Springer. Getting excited in my pants....lol.
Yeah, Springer is great and would complete the puzzle. Lots of left/right speed/power offense/defense possibilities open up with Springer putting the rest of outfield in best positions to succeed, including some DH for Jiminez.

Or if Vaughn were ready for that. The only reason I won't discount Springer is because of the surprise signings lately...something has changed. Its probably a dream and thats ok...but he's a nice piece.

I would think the hope is we get 85% of Springer out of a healthy Eaton season, plus some more Engel defense. It'll be ok, I'm not sure its needed or worth the cost unless an outfielder goes down...

of course you know ahead of time an outfielder will go down. Its the difference between championship dreamers and championship favorites who will require the might yankees on all cylinders to bring down.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They also added a half dozen other young Latin Players including Vera, a tall lanky right handed pitcher. Also quite a few Venezuelan players. The Sox still have an influence in Venezuela, ever since the Luis Aparicio days.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There are some reports out there that the Sox are talking to the Red Sox about trading of Andrew Benetendi. This would be a good move I think because the guy is young and still has two years on a modest contract and can hit from the left side. I don't think that it would cost them any of their top prospects either.

The only negative that comes into play is that the guy has only played center and left field in his professional career so whether he can play right field is a question mark. He is a good outfielder defensively. There might be a case for putting him in left field and moving Jimenez to DH but I wouldn't do it if he doesn't want to be the DH. To me, Jimenez may be the best player, at lease the best over-all hitter in baseball for the next ten years. He reminds me so much hitting wise of the Big Hurt in terms of plate coverage, hitting to all fields and with power. Abreu comes to mind also as an example of great plate coverage with power and what a mentor to Jimenez that guy has been.