Allen Robinson wants 25mil a year???

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Didnt want him at 18m AAV and definitely not at 25m AAV. Bears fans need to move on.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
There is an argument for letting Robinson leave

-His franchise tag number will decimate their free agent budget.
-3rd round comp pick would not be hard to protect

The problem I have with everything is the timing of it all. If the longshot happens and the Bears are able to get a Watson or Dak or even Stafford, then yeah maybe you don't need a top flight WR for those guys to have success (though they all have had top WRs thru all their successful seasons). And having a 3rd round comp in 2022 would certainly help if you trade multiple picks to get one of these guys. But Robinson on the roster, would also help to lure one of these guys.

You have to make the franchise decision on Robinson BEFORE free agency starts. You have free agency BEFORE the draft. So, not signing/franchising Robinson means you're gambling on getting a top QB and also replacing him somehow. If you can't get one of those 3, and don't have Robinson, you might as well start the rebuild. Based on what the Bears goals are (to save everyone's jobs) I don't think that can be accomplished without Robinson.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The problem I have with everything is the timing of it all. If the longshot happens and the Bears are able to get a Watson or Dak or even Stafford, then yeah maybe you don't need a top flight WR for those guys to have success (though they all have had top WRs thru all their successful seasons). And having a 3rd round comp in 2022 would certainly help if you trade multiple picks to get one of these guys. But Robinson on the roster, would also help to lure one of these guys.

You have to make the franchise decision on Robinson BEFORE free agency starts. You have free agency BEFORE the draft. So, not signing/franchising Robinson means you're gambling on getting a top QB and also replacing him somehow. If you can't get one of those 3, and don't have Robinson, you might as well start the rebuild. Based on what the Bears goals are (to save everyone's jobs) I don't think that can be accomplished without Robinson.

Yes, the timing of this is a pain.

If they are going to trade for a legit QB it has to happen soon. That way maybe they can get Robinson to agree to a contract extension and not need to tag him.

You will also need to do something with Fuller and Hicks to get even functional cap space.

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
IF they lose Arob but get a Stafford, Watson, Dak etc., then you draft WR with #20. Bateman reminds me of AJ Brown/DK Metcalf. I'd be stoked with that pick at 20 and an OT that could easily slide in RT in the 2nd.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
IF they lose Arob but get a Stafford, Watson, Dak etc., then you draft WR with #20. Bateman reminds me of AJ Brown/DK Metcalf. I'd be stoked with that pick at 20 and an OT that could easily slide in RT in the 2nd.
if you tag and trade you could potentially walk away with starters at WR and OT. for anything above $18M i’ll pass.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Personally, I would tag Robinson for 2021. Hopefully get the QB position right this year. Then let Robinson walk after the season and get a 2023 3rd round comp pick. If you don't have to trade all your picks, then you can use the 1st on a WR to replace Robinson in 2022. If you do get a shot a Watson, you can use the potential of this pick to work around the package you give up.

So, basically in a Watson package, if they want 3 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds, I'd try to keep one of the first 3 picks this year. I'd be fine with giving up all 3 next year as the Bears have more cap space and potential to cut Quinn. Then you can sweeten 2023 with an extra 2nd or 3rd because you know you'll have a comp after the 3rd.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

If they get Stafford or Watson, they won't have pick 20 to draft a WR. And Bateman doesn't have the after the catch ability of AJ Brown or anywhere near the speed of DK. Actually, the comp I have for him is Allen Robinson (I've also seen Keenan Allen).

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't that he isn't THAT good, it is more that the Bears are not ready for a WR of that quality. Without a starting QB, with the O line issues at tackle (in particular), timing is way off.

Pass. (pun intended)

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Tagging AR depends on what the actual cap number is this year. Much more feasible if it's at the higher end of the spectrum.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I wonder how much Chris Godwin will make? I was hoping the Bears could get him since his number weren't as good since he missed some games.

The Bears could get maybe a combination of Corey Davis/Kenny Golladay with Marvin Jones/TY Hilton for Robinson's money. Not as good as Robinson but they would still add two good players.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I wonder how much Chris Godwin will make? I was hoping the Bears could get him since his number weren't as good since he missed some games.

The Bears could get maybe a combination of Corey Davis/Kenny Golladay with Marvin Jones/TY Hilton for Robinson's money. Not as good as Robinson but they would still add two good players.

Kenny Golladay is as good as Robinson, and likely will net the same amount of money.

dennehy

Liked Posts:

Why not just get one of those guys (Jones and Hilton are both going to be 32 and are declining), save some money and draft a WR in this loaded class?

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It isn't that he isn't THAT good, it is more that the Bears are not ready for a WR of that quality. Without a starting QB, with the O line issues at tackle (in particular), timing is way off.

Pass. (pun intended)

I'm sorry, but how does this make sense? People want to wait until they have a good QB to have good WRs. They want to wait until they have a good OL before having a good QB. The goal is to have good players. The offense has exactly 1 right now. It makes no sense to get rid of that 1 because you don't have 2. Did we learn nothing from Greg Olsen and Alshon Jeffery?

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bears price is probably 5/100....and maybe it should be for insults and making him look bad.

He probably holds firm because he feels betrayed, and holds out if they tag him.

I would love a third rounder, by tag and trade or comp.

5/100 bears price.

He will slot around 4/75

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they get Stafford or Watson, they won't have pick 20 to draft a WR. And Bateman doesn't have the after the catch ability of AJ Brown or anywhere near the speed of DK. Actually, the comp I have for him is Allen Robinson (I've also seen Keenan Allen).
Possibly with the #20 it's a good point. Where he lacks speed he makes up for in his hands, size (height) , strength and route running. He's 6'2" 4.5 40 and can probably add muscle. He's gonna be a beast.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Doubtful you getting Watson without giving up 20.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Pass. (pun intended)

He isnt that good.