American Football>>Any sport in the world

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Well I look forward to more of your drive by internet tough guy bullshit when I hadn't even commented to you in this thread. I guess you really are an asshole

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I grew up watching soccer. I can tell you most scores and events since Espana 82 to France 98 (I was in Paris for the final - a heck of an experience)
I was also a fan for many international sports you might not even know about them - like handball or volleyball.

Came to NA in 2000. Slowly stopped watching soccer over the years.

Had to like hockey (living in Montreal and all). Never could understand baseball - basketball is kinda meh.

American Football is now the top sport in my list, since watching a SB final with someone who explained me the details (hard to understand otherwise - did the same for some friends). It's the most complex and intense. Requires both extreme physical and intellectual qualities from every player and perfect coordination. Entertainment TV sport at it's best.

There are several weaknesses though that prevent American football to become more popular. Equipment costs a lot, you need a special field, its complicated. To play soccer you only need a ball (sometimes even that can be replaced). Soccer is played in every little corner of this world by millions.

Then the danger of injuries - I would not allow my son (lucky I only have girls) to play american football. Yes, I know there are injuries everywhere but still...

Third - the strenght of all NA sports is also their weakness - they are more sport shows than competition. Parity, no relegation. Players are mercenaries moving from on place to another.

An Euro soccer game, even between two cities becomes, a war. What happens on the field counts little - only victory. Nobody really cares about the entertainment level. If your team sucks - it will not get great draft picks in the name of "parity" - it gets relegated to the minor league. Then the top ones there get promoted. The owners of competing soccer clubs would never "discuss" anything with their competitors - they are at war.

TL DR - American Football is IMO the top in the Entertainment Sport Shows you have in NA. And it's the best sport to watch once you understand it. It is plagued though by being part of the show system.
However, as competition sports go, soccer offers a much wider and better experience.
I think you hit on something there. Soccer is popular world wide cause it's cheap and extremely simple which makes it appealing to your average moronic plebeian.

WCL

Organ Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I grew up watching soccer. I can tell you most scores and events since Espana 82 to France 98 (I was in Paris for the final - a heck of an experience)
I was also a fan for many international sports you might not even know about them - like handball or volleyball.

What's volleyball?

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I look forward to more of your drive by internet tough guy bullshit when I hadn't even commented to you in this thread. I guess you really are an asshole
But you did comment to me first. Are you a bit disoriented by your own pain in the ass?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
That must have been yesterday. If you thought what you quoted tonight was in any way addressed to you, you're a moron and think everything revolves around you

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That must have been yesterday. If you thought what you quoted tonight was in any way addressed to you, you're a moron and think everything revolves around you

Usually when a poster quotes you and says fuck yourself, you can pretty much assume he's directing that comment to you or he'd have the good sense to quote the person he really wanted to direct the comment to.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
You mean after you inexplicably quoted me responding to someone else's post and told me to get a room with whitesox? Scroll up if you need a reminder

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Nice edit. Well that's close as I'm going to get to your admitting you misquoted.

Last edited:

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
There are many soccer players over 6'3'' but I'm not sure about how many players under 5'9'' there are in football, so maybe you're right.

You're right about the silly feelings of national pride. Belive me, I'm Greek and everytime we play Turkey, Germany, FYROM it's like we're going to war.
In general though, I think soccer appeals more to americans than football appeals to Europeans.
I don't know if it's our culture or anything but football here is the least popular sport. Honestly, nobody plays it. Even baseball is more popular.
Soccer is starting to get kinda popular there though, I think.

Soccer is popular at the lower levels. Why? Because 4 year old children can play it. It simply requires a ball and grass and no special equipment. I know I'm oversimplifying, but the reality is that the skills required to play soccer are significantly less than any other sport - particularly for children starting out. Basketball is next to impossible for little kids. Hockey simply has very few places to play, is very expensive and requires a ton of skill (skating) before a kid can even pick up a stick.
With baseball, there is a TON to learn just to make the game playable - ever watch young kids when they first do kid pitch and not tee ball or coach pitch? You'll see 1 strike thrown for every 10 balls and 400 strikeouts a game. Football? Forget about it. Add to that - tennis and other games.

Soccer is popular because it's easy and cheap. It's an easy way to get young kids out and get them to 'Play 60'. Living in the burbs and having 3 young kids, I see it every weekend. The little ones play soccer. They play for a few years - some stick with it, but most, as their athletic abilities improve, 'move on' from soccer to other sports.

There are a lot of 7 year olds that play soccer. There are a lot of 11 year olds that USED to play soccer.

FatBabiesHaveNoPride

Doors that go like this.
Liked Posts:
Lol you're so insecure it's hilarious.

I didn't mean you don't understand the game. You don't like it. But the fact that you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't a great game, it just means you don't like it.

Also, this European thing is some bizarre obsession of yours but neither I not any other soccer fan have mentioned anything to do with Europe. Soccer is a global game. I also said I love American football just as much, so I don't know where you're getting all this nonsense about me saying Europe is better then America. Like I said, you're just very insecure and defensive.

Insecure? Not so much? Defensive? Welcome to the internet and this shit show forum.

As for your 'Euro is Awesome' - sorry dude, but if if walks like a duck....on pretty much every thread about any topic, your posts adopt the 'Euro is better, 'Merica is bad'. So much so that I wonder why you even live here. If I like another place so much more - I'd go there.

tricky5544

Liked Posts:
I love football, but there is no better compition in the world then the world cup.. Over 160 countries try to qualify for it starting all most 2 years in advance....Only 32 teams make it. And the Winner truelly gets to say they are the best in the world....If you dont believe its a great spectacle go to Brazil this June

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Insecure? Not so much? Defensive? Welcome to the internet and this shit show forum.

As for your 'Euro is Awesome' - sorry dude, but if if walks like a duck....on pretty much every thread about any topic, your posts adopt the 'Euro is better, 'Merica is bad'. So much so that I wonder why you even live here. If I like another place so much more - I'd go there.

Lol. All in your imagination.

And yes, you are hyper-insecure. Everyone can see it, not just me.