American Football>>Any sport in the world

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think of it as imaginary floating line with the last defender (not the goalie).

That's because the goalie is almost always one of the two players closer the goal line than the attacker, so that last defense usually is indeed the offside marker.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
Hey, I let my kids play it and even watched their games as much as it pained me. I think it's something that has to be bred into you in order for you to have tolerance for it. I see it for what it is, an incredibly boring game that nationalists view as some kind of war. Its fans, except Bearmick, are mindless followers overinflated with national pride.

That describes a major grouping of Football fans only it's pseudo nationalism in form of cities/colleges

Why must I be Saad? Via Tapatalk

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuck_06e2b1_662495.jpg

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
That describes a major grouping of Football fans only it's pseudo nationalism in form of cities/colleges

Why must I be Saad? Via Tapatalk

And that's why this New Yorker chose the Chicago Bears a long time ago.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's because the goalie is almost always one of the two players closer the goal line than the attacker, so that last defense usually is indeed the offside marker.

yeah, I get it. I just don't like it. I'd rather offsides worked as it does in hockey with a line that doesn't move.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
yeah, I get it. I just don't like it. I'd rather offsides worked as it does in hockey with a line that doesn't move.

It serves a different purpose. As opposed to being merely about offensive positioning, offsides can actually be used as a defensive strategy in soccer, if you have a well coordinated defense.

There's a lot to the game that most lay people don't understand, which is why they think it's boring. Not really any different to those in the UK who say that American football is just a bunch of fat guys running into each other between commercials. They don't get the game.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It serves a different purpose. As opposed to being merely about offensive positioning, offsides can actually be used as a defensive strategy in soccer, if you have a well coordinated defense.

There's a lot to the game that most lay people don't understand, which is why they think it's boring. Not really any different to those in the UK who say that American football is just a bunch of fat guys running into each other between commercials. They don't get the game.

I can certainly see how it can be a defensive strategy. I can also see how it might be more "exciting" with a stationary line.

tricky5544

Liked Posts:
Do they still have that fake clock with imaginary extra time? And that imaginary moving line for offsides? I think soccer could improve a few things.

The extra timne is given because of time lapse for injury's...The moving Offside line is and will allways be the last defender...That is why its moving..The other team can not be behind the last defender(not including the Goalie) before the ball is kicked/passed.

tricky5544

Liked Posts:
Never heard soccer called football. Heard it called futbol which translates to soccer not football.

In what world does Futbol translate to soccer? Only in America, because we call a came football that basically does not involve using your foot beside kickoffs, punts, fg, ep

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Hey, I let my kids play it and even watched their games as much as it pained me. I think it's something that has to be bred into you in order for you to have tolerance for it. I see it for what it is, an incredibly boring game that nationalists view as some kind of war. Its fans, except Bearmick, are mindless followers overinflated with national pride.
Last time I checked, Midlothian isn't a nation.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Actually, it’s an interesting question. Depends on where you are and what kind of mood you’re in.

I was in Aruba during the World Cup some years back and it was playing on every public TV. People from all over, Europe, South America, etc were going crazy watching the games. Super friendly and would explain to us stuff about the teams and all. Never thought it would be so much fun watching soccer.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Actually, it’s an interesting question. Depends on where you are and what kind of mood you’re in.

I was in Aruba during the World Cup some years back and it was playing on every public TV. People from all over, Europe, South America, etc were going crazy watching the games. Super friendly and would explain to us stuff about the teams and all. Never thought it would be so much fun watching soccer.
I have watched 4 diff World Cups while abroad, there is no comparison, not even close. /thread