Analysis: Breakdown of Trubisky's and Nagy's shortcomings in the opener

Johnny Flash

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hey guys,

as it is my first post of value in this forum, I just thought it wise to share a small analysis of some of the plays in the opener I found.

I apologize if this has already been posted somewhere. Feel free to bash the living shit out of this thread, as is customary in this forum.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Watched it a couple days ago.

Really makes you realize how bad Nagy and the oline were

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Liked Posts:

They really needed those preseason games. The playcalling was bad; the o-line was bad; the receivers struggled to get separation. During the video the narrator even says to Trubisky, "Look right. Just look right." When Trubs was locked in on a target on the left side of the field.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Trubisky played god fucking awful, but so did Gabriel, Shaheen, Daniels, Whitehair. This all points to NAGY as the biggest issue.

I'm not sure if Trubisky "needed" the preseason, that really wouldnt have helped him see the field any better than he did.... but the aforementioned players could've really used the reps even if it was against players fighting for a job.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Trubisky played god fucking awful, but so did Gabriel, Shaheen, Daniels, Whitehair. This all points to NAGY as the biggest issue.

I'm not sure if Trubisky "needed" the preseason, that really wouldnt have helped him see the field any better than he did.... but the aforementioned players could've really used the reps even if it was against players fighting for a job.

Gabriel should have a reduced role on offense. He doesn't run block well-- I'd rather have Wims and his blocking & possession skills

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Gabriel also should have caught the two long passes - one dropped on a deep cross, one he caught out of bounds on a back shoulder throw. He's just so small.
Forgot to mention that. He can't fight for balls

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Gabriel should have a reduced role on offense. He doesn't run block well-- I'd rather have Wims and his blocking & possession skills
I agree, if Nagy decides to use the run game. Millers no slouch blocker either, and he needs a lot more reps. His route running is much better than Gabriels.

fx1718

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They really needed those preseason games. The playcalling was bad; the o-line was bad; the receivers struggled to get separation. During the video the narrator even says to Trubisky, "Look right. Just look right." When Trubs was locked in on a target on the left side of the field.
I got panned a few weeks ago for saying that if preseason is worth it for Brady and Belichick it should have been worth it for us. Surprised to see some people still deny that (Nagy).

mecha

Liked Posts:
first string offense needed reps together in preseason. especially considering they added new players. this is a Nagy blunder. there should really be no excuse for why Trubisky is playing like a rookie still. the reluctance to keep running the ball when it was working is also against Nagy, who keeps aiming for big play after big play.

offensive line was a nightmare too which didn't help.

I got panned a few weeks ago for saying that if preseason is worth it for Brady and Belichick it should have been worth it for us. Surprised to see some people still deny that (Nagy).

exactly, if 40-something Brady can play preseason, young buck Trubisky and the first string offense can too. unbelievable.

Johnny Flash

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

My thoughts exactly. While watching the game, I was raging about Trubisky, but a large part of it was really on the o-line and especially Nagy. Now that DCs had time to figure out how he operates with his gimmicky bullshit, his offense doesn't surprise anyone anymore. And without the element of surprise, this offense is set up for failure, since Nagy is seemingly not willing to adapt. If he tries that stuff with Vic on Sunday, he is going to run into a brick wall...

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think that wheel route was as bad a throw as it was the decision to not go elsewhere or that Mitch should be better with his eyes. He was waiting for it and pulled that safety over with his eyes. I think he decided to back shoulder the throw to keep it in front of the safety. Problem is that the way that route develops makes it hard for the catcher to get his head around early enough to make a back shoulder viable.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My thoughts exactly. While watching the game, I was raging about Trubisky, but a large part of it was really on the o-line and especially Nagy. Now that DCs had time to figure out how he operates with his gimmicky bullshit, his offense doesn't surprise anyone anymore. And without the element of surprise, this offense is set up for failure, since Nagy is seemingly not willing to adapt. If he tries that stuff with Vic on Sunday, he is going to run into a brick wall...
We all were but Mitch just needed to make quicker decisions as well. That's the part I want to see improve in these next weeks, knowing who should come open and not staring at them. He also needs to start steering safeties away instead of to the throws. He made some good throws but many were coming late in routes. They need to come out faster. I think/hope it will come but there's no guarantees and the Bear can't wait forever. That said, no journeyman vet is going to replace him. That is such a laughable suggestion from posters. If it turns out to not be Mitch, we need a young guy to continue to develop. In the meantime Mitch will remain the best option.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Nagy said he needs to get with his coaches to find a way to get the running game more involved.

I guess the answer is letting someone else call plays? Doesn't it all end with him making the call, or is Mitch calling an audible to pass?

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Nagy said he needs to get with his coaches to find a way to get the running game more involved.

I guess the answer is letting someone else call plays? Doesn't it all end with him making the call, or is Mitch calling an audible to pass?
Mitch audibles but not that often

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

Daniels was our best oline that game... Kyle long played like shit massie also had a few bad plays.

bamainatlanta

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Daniels was our best oline that game... Kyle long played like shit massie also had a few bad plays.

Funny, Daniels being the "best" that game and he was still a massive failure. Line better improve next week against a more talented front 7

Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Not that it detracts from your overall point, but actually, the "look to the right" comment was directed at James Daniels, who when he doesn't have anyone to block, fails to kick over and pick up the stunt.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I understand trying to lay this on preseason as the primary blame here, but one needs to look to last year and the rest of the NFL this year to see that there is little correlation.

Last year we played great in the first half of the opener, this year just the opposite. No correlation there.

This year several great QB's and teams had horrible openers - Goff, Big Ben, Newton all played near the same poor level as Mitch and had preseason. Again no correlation.

The issue here is that Mitch needs to improve at a few things: timing, staying in the pocket, and not staring down his reads. The good thing is that it appears he only had these problems on a handful of plays, and appears to be breaking these habits, albeit a little slowly.