Antoine Winfield

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
He just got cut or will be cut according to NFL.com. Wonder if we take a look at him for our NB. I know Frey has played well in preseason, but a little vet presence couldn't hurt while Frey grows into the role more. I've always liked him, I think he fits great in our defensive scheme. Age, of course, is a factor; he's 36.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
who would you cut so we can have Winfield for a year?

not sure Winfield has much value.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
He just got cut or will be cut according to NFL.com. Wonder if we take a look at him for our NB. I know Frey has played well in preseason, but a little vet presence couldn't hurt while Frey grows into the role more. I've always liked him, I think he fits great in our defensive scheme. Age, of course, is a factor; he's 36.

No, Frey is way better and to me Winfield has always been overrated. Big time liability in coverage.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
No, Frey is way better and to me Winfield has always been overrated. Big time liability in coverage.

Frey hasn't played a real NFL down yet, so let's hold off on anointing him better than anyone right now. I'm not saying he isn't good, he stepped up this preseason when called upon, but I'm not convinced he won't make mental errors that end up costing us points. Winfield is great in run support, and our #1 Defensive goal has always been to stop the run, I don't see that changing under the new regime. Winfield has definately lost a step, probably what got him cut by the Vikes, but I like his experience.

Without knowing the full 53 yet, it's hard to say who to cut to make room for him. I do like that our team is "going young" in a lot of places; it bodes well for the future.

Not saying we should or shouldn't sign him, but if someone goes down (please noooooo!) I'd give him a try.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Frey hasn't played a real NFL down yet, so let's hold off on anointing him better than anyone right now. I'm not saying he isn't good, he stepped up this preseason when called upon, but I'm not convinced he won't make mental errors that end up costing us points. Winfield is great in run support, and our #1 Defensive goal has always been to stop the run, I don't see that changing under the new regime. Winfield has definately lost a step, probably what got him cut by the Vikes, but I like his experience.

Without knowing the full 53 yet, it's hard to say who to cut to make room for him. I do like that our team is "going young" in a lot of places; it bodes well for the future.

Not saying we should or shouldn't sign him, but if someone goes down (please noooooo!) I'd give him a try.

Think I would rather have the young talent, that MAY have a chance of being good/great in coverage and that has not reached his ceiling yet, than the older experienced guy who we know has lost a step, is not great in coverage and has already past his peak.

I would be willing to bet that there will be few Wilfields on the market to pick up as the season rolls along, if Frey does not pan out.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
He always struck me as the perfect cover 2 corner, but at 36 what does he have left?

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Bummer. I'm sure he'll end up back in MIN and help them a bit, assuming he has anything left in the tank (SEA already has good corners, MIN has really young ones). I was looking forward to their secondary falling off a bit.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He'd have to be willing to be a 6th CB and special teamer. But I like him. Good fit as a nickel. But Frey deserves a shot. CJ Wilson could have a future so u don't want to risk losing him (unless that is the plan anyway) for a 1 year player.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
WTF are people talking about...

Frey better than Winfield?

Winfield not worth anything......................

I don't know about that... They are not cutting Winfield because he doesn't have talent.. they are cutting him because they have too much young talent... and can't afford to lose there younger defensive backs and give up valuable reps and plays...

Winfield still has something to offer in my mind and has been solid the last few years... With Bowman injured... Why not give a guy with experience a back up role... would be a great idea to have some experience behind our starters... and he probably has something to teach the younger guys...

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
WTF are people talking about...

Frey better than Winfield?

Winfield not worth anything......................

I don't know about that... They are not cutting Winfield because he doesn't have talent.. they are cutting him because they have too much young talent... and can't afford to lose there younger defensive backs and give up valuable reps and plays...

Winfield still has something to offer in my mind and has been solid the last few years... With Bowman injured... Why not give a guy with experience a back up role... would be a great idea to have some experience behind our starters... and he probably has something to teach the younger guys...

dude... read all the posts in this thread. specifically the one above yours. Winfield is retiring. everything is now a moot point.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
I didn't think he had much left. Barber or Woodson last longer than that by becoming safeties..

Fucking A on Tapatalk

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Frey is in his second season and looks the part at nickel. He's not going to lean much more by sitting on the sidelines and he doesn't need "groomed" - he's a 23 year old man playing DB. We don't need to put our good young players on the bench to bring in over the hill guys on one year contracts. That's not how you built a winning team.

darkvirage

Liked Posts:
Well I guess that is the end of that...thought it might be nice insurance. I understand we wanna roll with the young guys to help us in the long run; I just always liked him as a player. I also forgot about CJ Wilson; hopefully he turns out to be something.

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sucks that he's retiring. He still has plenty of value as a nickel CB but it must have been serious-super-bowl-contender or bust for him at this point.

Depending on which reports you believe, the Vikings offered Winfield more money than the Seahawks did after MN cut him but he opted for Seattle..probably out of both pride and quality of team. I'm 90% sure the Vikings would've still been interested in bringing him back again now.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Actually since OTAs, mini-camp and all of training camp he was spotlighted as the most impressive defensive player on the team aside from Charles Tillman. That is high praise. He is going to be the starting NB whether you like it or not.

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
frey has looked good and has earned the shot at starting at nb imo. as far as bringing in Winfield 6 years ago sure now? naa spot would be better filled with young talent with potential

casinnova

Liked Posts:
Tebow should be brought in to try out at safety. He would be better than Steltz

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
dont talk bad about steltz it angers the conte