Any audiophiles here?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm not totally sold on NAD's "dynamic power" ratings.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Those Senns look pretty nice.
I said fuck it and got Bowers & Wilkins PX
I have owned Sennheisers and the Bowers and Wilkins P5 and P7 and the BW are much better. Very warm sound. But the VModa are better than both

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
You guys prefer a soundcard or a dac?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I setup my system I was going from optical out from motherboard (Asus ROG Formula) to optical in on the NAD. I was having a strange issue with music starting off nice and loud, then a few seconds into a track the volume level would drop off. Not a whole lot, but enough to notice and turn volume up a bit. Since then I got the proper USB cable and running PC USB out to NAD USB in and I no longer have the issue. I don't know the reasons for my issue but I'd go with a DAC. My thinking is just send the raw data through USB and let a dedicated DAC handle that rather than the PC that is doing a million other things.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Those Senns look pretty nice.
I said fuck it and got Bowers & Wilkins PX

I love the sound on open headphones. Eventually I'll add a closed pair to my collection, but that won't be any time soon.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Do you ever just read an entire thread and think to yourself "I have not once spent any time thinking in any detail what these fellows have spent thousands of hours obsessing over"???

FTR I turned on my Bose noise cancelling feature (Even put in a new battery) just to post this.

Please explain to me why I should care more about audio quality. I really am curios.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Do you ever just read an entire thread and think to yourself "I have not once spent any time thinking in any detail what these fellows have spent thousands of hours obsessing over"???

FTR I turned on my Bose noise cancelling feature (Even put in a new battery) just to post this.

Please explain to me why I should care more about audio quality. I really am curios.

Personal preference for me. I do some music mixing as a hobby, as well as gaming, and I just love higher quality sound. It's sort of like HD. Once you hear it, it's tough to go back.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I suppose it depends on what music you like, how much you like music, and how you like music. Lots of people are perfectly happy listening to shitty pop music on their phone speaker.
I say fuck all that. I like good music and I like to really listen to it and experience it rather than just have it on as background noise.
Previously I had a 5.1 Sony receiver with a couple Infinity satellites and sub. I thought it sounded ok but not great. If I wanted to really listen to something I'd use my Turtle Beach headset. A little better (maybe) but still not great.
Now the NAD-Martin Logan-SVS combo is on a completely different level. There's no fucking comparison.
The ribbon tweeter gives me highs like I've never heard in music I've known for decades. The midrange I was missing with the satts is filled in. And the bass....ho-lee-SHIT! It's fucking tight, clean, and hits hard and deep. I only have the gain turned up to around 25% on the sub. I'm almost certain I could break shit with it if I wanted to.

I'm rocking Steven Wilson's remixes of Yes.
Raaawwwrrr!!!

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't choose this life, it chose me.
When shit grabs you, you gotta grab back the best you can afford to.

I'd pay good money to have access to those Martin Logan Neoliths and my music collection for just half a day of listening.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would say that if you really like music, pick out some of your dearest favorites in a good digital format (FLAC is my preference) and demo some low-mid range audiophile stuff at a nearby dealer. Listen first on whatever you listen to music on now then listen to demo of some Monitor Audio, Bowers & Wilkins, Martin Logan speakers. (and many many others, I'm just tossing names I am somewhat familiar with)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
51BoUkEqHyL._SL1024_.jpg

+

170306__wws4.jpg

=

LOVE

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I would say that if you really like music, pick out some of your dearest favorites in a good digital format (FLAC is my preference) and demo some low-mid range audiophile stuff at a nearby dealer. Listen first on whatever you listen to music on now then listen to demo of some Monitor Audio, Bowers & Wilkins, Martin Logan speakers. (and many many others, I'm just tossing names I am somewhat familiar with)

I like FLAC as well. With my Senns, I was able to hear how shitty some mp3 rips were. My taste in music is so eccentric, I just love all different types. I can go from Biggie to Metallica to DJ Q-Bert to The Weeknd in a heart beat. Hearing songs as close to their finest form is so satisfying to me.

Last edited:

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This guy copying Rolling Stones guitar virtuoso, Mick Taylor on his famous performance of Midnight Rambler. He was a 20 year old kid in 1969 when he created this

[video=youtube;XXKCkBn7bDk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXKCkBn7bDk[/video]

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
This guy copying Rolling Stones guitar virtuoso, Mick Taylor on his famous performance of Midnight Rambler. He was a 20 year old kid in 1969 when he created this

Save it for your music threads bozo.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Does anyone have a good recording of St Saens symphony for organ?
It supposedly has the lowest notes ever recorded.

I have it in FLAC that sounds pretty good but it's Swiss or German and in folders so kind of jumbled to me. I haven't listened to the whole thing even if I figured out the order but I've found some really low, like way the fuck down low spots and my sub doesn't even sweat. (that's when I turned the gain down from ~35% to ~25% and have left it there)

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like FLAC as well. With my Senns, I was able to hear how shitty some mp3 rips were. My taste in music is so eccentric, I just love all different types. I can go from Biggie to Metallica to DJ Q-Bert to The Weeknd in a heart beat. Hearing songs as close to their finest form is so satisfying to me.

That's pretty much how I ended up with the Steven Wilson Yes remixes. I wanted to listen to some Yes and realized my mp3s were shit. Found http://www.hdtracks.com/

Found Yes. Good.
Steven Wilson remixes? Hells yes I'm interested!
(been a fan of Porcupine Tree/Steven Wilson for awhile now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pREDMwfF-kw

Yeah yeah, I know.
Posting EweToob in audiophile thread. I will punch myself in the face shortly.