Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was looking at the jotunheim, lyr, and bifrost, but decided to come off schiit in general because I haven't heard any good things about how they're built. That's basically what sent me into my frustrating search lol.
I know more than anyone wants to. Mike Moffit of shiit has a good ear and knows how to voice shit.

If it were me. I'd buy a Chord MOJO and all it a day. Disconnect it from the charger when in use if you're a tweak. I'm not into picking colors and accurate is the Naim ;) of the game.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you guys have any specific technique to help break in the headphones? Still trying to break in the HD 650s, but they aren't exactly being powered correctly at the moment.
8 hours on, 1 hr off raise volume each round and after a few days, should be good. Good to heat cycle like this and listen, When it sounds strained, turn it down a bit until louder feels fine. It's isn't about beating things into submission like some do..

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
image_preview2

MartinLogan Neolith ESL Loudspeaker Review

Someday....
:( If you want electrostatics, buy Quads. Not as durable but twice as good. Lots wrong with logan's curved panel driver design.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
:( If you want electrostatics, buy Quads. Not as durable but twice as good. Lots wrong with logan's curved panel driver design.

I had a friend back in the day whose dad built tall speakers similar to that without the sub. He said they had amazing sound, but were limited by the length of the speaker for some reason, ultra lows and highs I guess. I am not an Audiophile, but he apparently had a list of people waiting for him to make them speakers basically always. Not necessarily that type, but it was his retirement side fun gig.

Those speakers were probably 6 feet tall btw.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quads are effectively a point source panel. Very different than others. They run twice the voltages, use reinforced perforated plates as stators as opposed to wire. They have less than 1/2 the the clearances and diaphragm thickness (mass) of everyone else. It's why they are easier to arc but at reasonable volumes, untouchable. If you can find a good pair of the originals that came out on 1957 (different all stat 3 way), know how to setup and nearfield them (about 6') they are still as good as anything. You can't curve a large unsupported panel because the diaphragms bow. You don't want a large panel with highs coming from everywhere because you get time smear. That soft undynamic airiness many panels have. On the original quad, the tweeter is 1" wide and the new one highs are limited to about an 8" circle.

When you look at a Logan, you will see it actually behaves as over a dozen small stacked horizontal panels. The diaphragm is continuous but has over 15 horizontal curved supports. That really limits excursion as does the fact the even at that small individually supported height, the panel itself bows so needs more clearance (less control force). They are more durable because they don't generate enough force, control or excursion to perf the heavier diaphragm. There's a reason they have no bass without woofers and if you look at their high end, add on electrostatic woofers, you find that they are large flat panels. The curved panel is a poor solution looking for a problem. If you're looking for that typed of sound field, you'd be much better off with a Soundlab.

Honestly, if you like electrostatic type detail with more power handling, you're better off with a dynamic speaker with and a well integrated ribbon tweeter like a better ProAc. True transformer coupled, small folded aluminium Ribbons can still beat an electrostatic at the top end. Do not confuse with a planer magnetic driver which are generally meh.

If you get a chance read about the newer quad delay lines. The drivers are supported as 4 large panels with concentric rings in the stators to form a delay line that mimics a point source a foot behind the speaker and why 10 feet or more away is optimum. Takes about that to get a seamless effect.

Last edited:

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Bah! I was only eyeing them when I was reading about my bookshelfs. I'm not gonna buy any. I'd get the KEF LS50 wireless if I was actually going to put any money into my modest audio hobby any time soon. But good to see you in the thread! I really love the ribbon tweeter on my bookshelfs!

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Bah! I was only eyeing them when I was reading about my bookshelfs. I'm not gonna buy any. I'd get the KEF LS50 wireless if I was actually going to put any money into my modest audio hobby any time soon. But good to see you in the thread! I really love the ribbon tweeter on my bookshelfs!
What are they? I bet they aren't real ribbons. Probably planar magnetics which can be fine but don't offer much over regular domes. They tend to have less mass but also less control of the diaphragm. Pretty rare in the best speakers.

Check out Totem Kin Play for powered with wireless capability.

Last edited:

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I recently got to sample a pair of beyerdynamic DT1990 pro's and OMG. I almost shelled out the money right there. I'm currently getting different tubes for my bottlehead crack, looking at upgrading my DAC (possibly the Schiit Bifrost) and might get those Beyerdynamics later this year. Any other DAC recommendations? I keep coming across the Denafrips Ares II as well.

In my previous search, I had come across some bad things about Schiit, but I recently saw someone open up the Bifrost, and go over it's build. Looked pretty damn good. Thinking I might bite the bullet on one and just send it back if I don't think it's a significant upgrade over my Airist. I'm certainy not getting rid of the Bottlehead, I love that thing.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really want to pull the trigger on the KEF LS50 wireless II.
My NAD 30w amp and Martin Logan bookshelves + SVS sub is badass and the sub can probably break shit if I turn the gain up.
The ribbon tweeter on the MLs is so nice and clear. Holy shit!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I really want to pull the trigger on the KEF LS50 wireless II.
My NAD 30w amp and Martin Logan bookshelves + SVS sub is badass and the sub can probably break shit if I turn the gain up.
The ribbon tweeter on the MLs is so nice and clear. Holy shit!
Scratch that.

Maggie Raptor wants me to buy these so she can smoke all my weed and eat all my food and listen to Floyd while I'm working all the overtime I want at my "new" hot shit gravy union job.

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
I can’t really get into headphones though I have a couple decent sets.

My setup these days is a pretty basic 70’s G.I. rig: Pioneer PL series belt drive turntable, a big ass Pioneer SX1280 receiver, and a single Sylvannia branded two-way speaker (6.5” woofer, single cap crossover).

I keep the second speaker in the closet and just listen to everything in mono.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm really trying to talk myself into spending $4k on a shitty work car instead of a badass stereo.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Im not really into audio, but i bought that cheap ebay amp below and hooked up 4 klipsch rb3s (in parallel) i picked up from a yard sale. It works.. use the set up for my home gym. LOUD AS FUCK!

s-l500.jpg

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I'm really trying to talk myself into spending $4k on a shitty work car instead of a badass stereo.

Bad time to be buying a used car. Prices are too inflated... May I suggest a beater Toyota though..

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just bought the B & W Duos.
Instead of $4k I got them for $3k from Crutchfield "scratch & dent".
$3182 with tax & the $12 worth of Crutchfield points I had somehow.
I got 3000 Crutchfield points for the speaker purchase. I can use after 15 days. So I'll get even more off of the open box stands in a couple weeks.
And if scratch and dent is too scratch and dent for my tastes I can return them for free and likely even get NEW speakers shipped right back to me.
Raaawwwrrr!!!

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
UPS guy showed up yesterday right before I left for work.
Crutchfield scratch and dent is legit!
The outer cardboard box and the inner speaker box were a little banged up on the corners. But once into the inner box, no damage to styrofoam surrounds and the speakers are immaculate.
Raaawwwrrr!!!!
25% off for somewhat dinged corners of a box.

Will give sound report when I get it setup and have some decent listening time.
These are NOT bookshelf speakers. They are way bigger than I expected. They are stand speakers. (I'm getting another $60 off open box stands when my points come in)