Any of you into fishing?

AussieBear

Backup dishwasher material. Pot duty until you prove yourself. See me in three years.

pots need washed too boss.. best job in the kitchen even if it ain't paid as such boss..

butz not to derails da thread.. so

ive used some survival style primitive basket traps to see if i could catch fish.. it worked.
used a net trap.. worked
also a bank line and floating line with multiple lines hanging off.. they worked
caught plenty of crawdads by hand..

but never got into sports fishing or for recreation n just sitting/standing there.. just be getting fucked up instead....
knew some sports fisherman growing up.. the inlaw is balls deeps... definitely some art/knowledge to it..

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I grew up fishing Apple Canyon, IL and Lac Courte Oreilles, WI. World record musky was caught out of couderay. Great lake for musky, northern, walleye, perch, panfish, and bass. I was dominantly a spin fisher. When I moved to CO, I got into fly fishing, which is my go to now. Mostly streams with the occasional high alpine lake. The alpine lakes are great because it is usually a long steep hike in, so nobody else is around. I have been saltwater fishing a couple times when I was young and I have salmon and halibut fished in Alaska a couple times. I was lucky enough to be able to have our helicopter pilot drop us off on a sandbar in the middle of nowhere. There were dozens of salmon locked in a flood receded pool. We were catching grayling on almost every cast. I even caught two at the same time on a dry dropper set. Definitely the most fish I have ever caught.
jNoTCii.jpg

VUPj9FY.jpg

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
I'm overwhelmed in the fishing sections of Dick's, Academy, etc too. Just got to get keep it simple. And it is amazingly peaceful. That's my favorite thing about it. Even if I don't catch anything, it's still a very good activity to just get away from things. Sprinkled with occasional excitement.

My zen, right here:

3cb8253c720fcc0fbd41fc7d98e8a4d6.jpg

Yes, fishing is a great sport. I'm in SoCal and mainly fish for Calico Bass. In the summer though, I target Yellowtail(pound for pound the hardest fighting fish), tuna and Dorado. Catalina Island provides an incredible fishery here and when the water warms up in the summer the pelagic fishing can be spectacular.

I agree with you, it is where I get away for a bit. I also fish from my kayak some, but have slowed since I bought a boat. The kayak is still fun and better in some locations. One of the bigger fish I've ever caught was from my kayak, pretty fun. Check out this link on fishing La Jolla. It is a really popular spot for kayakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMfakIt47Tw

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said, "Any of you into fisting?"

I was wrong.

Carry on.

AuCN

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
When I first saw the title of this thread, I thought it said, "Any of you into fisting?"

I was wrong.

Carry on.
Feel free to start that thread if it is in your interest.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Yes, fishing is a great sport. I'm in SoCal and mainly fish for Calico Bass. In the summer though, I target Yellowtail(pound for pound the hardest fighting fish), tuna and Dorado. Catalina Island provides an incredible fishery here and when the water warms up in the summer the pelagic fishing can be spectacular.

I agree with you, it is where I get away for a bit. I also fish from my kayak some, but have slowed since I bought a boat. The kayak is still fun and better in some locations. One of the bigger fish I've ever caught was from my kayak, pretty fun. Check out this link on fishing La Jolla. It is a really popular spot for kayakers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMfakIt47Tw
Damn, that looks like fun. Seems like there would be a better place to put in though to avoid the two-hour trip out. You can see land from where they were. But maybe they just wanted to show off their fancy Hobie pedal drives :) Awesome yaks for sure, but they get pretty expensive.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
Damn, that looks like fun. Seems like there would be a better place to put in though to avoid the two-hour trip out. You can see land from where they were. But maybe they just wanted to show off their fancy Hobie pedal drives :) Awesome yaks for sure, but they get pretty expensive.

LOL. It's actually a pretty short pedal out to the good areas in La Jolla. I got lucky and found a Hobie Outback about 10 years ago at a sporting goods store that had gone out of business. I could probably sell mine used today for what I paid for it new. I have it rigged with a bait tank, fishfinder, and GPS. The launch is really easy off the beach and your are in the good fishing zone anywhere from 3/4 to 2 miles out. You'd be surprised how quickly you get out there, maybe 20 minutes to half hour. My biggest yellowtail(the fish the guy caught in the video) was on my kayak, 35 pounds. So much fun.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
LOL. It's actually a pretty short pedal out to the good areas in La Jolla. I got lucky and found a Hobie Outback about 10 years ago at a sporting goods store that had gone out of business. I could probably sell mine used today for what I paid for it new. I have it rigged with a bait tank, fishfinder, and GPS. The launch is really easy off the beach and your are in the good fishing zone anywhere from 3/4 to 2 miles out. You'd be surprised how quickly you get out there, maybe 20 minutes to half hour. My biggest yellowtail(the fish the guy caught in the video) was on my kayak, 35 pounds. So much fun.
That's awesome man :) it's crazy how well good kayaks hold their value. Especially Hobies. I was shopping around for used, and ended up just buying new because the price difference was negligible. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130, which seemed to give the most bang for the buck. I was thinking about adding a fishfinder to mine, but I tend to fish in very shallow stuff, so the main benefits would be GPS and marking structure. Which I can both do with my phone and the Navionics app. If I ever decide to go offshore though, definitely buying a Hobie. Because paddling out of the surf sounds like a real pain in the ass.

Treehorn

Liked Posts:
That's awesome man :) it's crazy how well good kayaks hold their value. Especially Hobies. I was shopping around for used, and ended up just buying new because the price difference was negligible. I ended up pulling the trigger on a Vibe Sea Ghost 130, which seemed to give the most bang for the buck. I was thinking about adding a fishfinder to mine, but I tend to fish in very shallow stuff, so the main benefits would be GPS and marking structure. Which I can both do with my phone and the Navionics app. If I ever decide to go offshore though, definitely buying a Hobie. Because paddling out of the surf sounds like a real pain in the ass.

La Jolla is really unique. It is an incredible fishery because it is basically a huge kelp forest but the beach is protected from the swell so the surf is never too big. Easy launch and landing 90% of the time. Check out this link to the camera. http://www.bigwatersedge.com/index.php?page=lajollashoreswebcam This webcam is really addictive for me especially during the mornings when you you see guys going out.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Spent a few weeks out of the year fishing the Delaware right around Dildine Island almost every summer of my life. Primarily smallmouth, but also striped bass, and there are also a few deep holes where some walleye hang out nearby. Also have done some up in the boundary waters (pike and musky).

I try to fish anytime I'm somewhere new: some catfish in South Africa; trolling in the Caribbean; trout in Austria; and any random stop I make in the US that has ample water. I really want to go after some of the big ones in the US eventually. Sturgeon, alligator gar, that type of stuff.

You should then make a show about catching these river monsters. Maybe pitch it to Animal Planet?

SERE Bear

Drinking da Bears better
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ive never been a big fan of fishing, however I love catching. I love eating freshly caught fish so I will still do it from time to time.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I'm not a very good fisherman. I pretty much just feed the fish.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Yes but its been some time since i went fishing.

Still have my fishing trophy from summer camp for catching the biggest fish. I actually tied for most fish caught with 2. I should have got 2 trophies. Still a little bitter they cheated me on that.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Thinking of just going piecemeal with all of the equipment.
Best versatile rod and reel combo I can think of that doesn't break the bank is probably a 7' Ugly Stik GX2 Medium, with a Penn Fierce II 3000. You should be able to get both for around $100. Pretty much the same setup I use for my main rod and reel, except a little heavier (medium heavy ugly stik with a 4000 reel). This is mainly because I primarily fish inshore saltwater and wanted something a little more stout. I've done a lot of research on this, and I'm pretty convinced this is the best combination of bang for the buck/ quality / versatility (one rod and reel that can pretty much do it all). The Penn Battle II is a little bit nicer, but the fierce series is a great reel at a lower price point.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Seriously though; for angling, Ugly Sticks are tits for the price. Doubt I'll ever buy another rod unless I move somewhere that requires something for deep sea fishing.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Seriously though; for angling, Ugly Sticks are tits for the price. Doubt I'll ever buy another rod unless I move somewhere that requires something for deep sea fishing.
Yeah man. At the price point...really, really hard to beat.