Anyone been to Hawks @ Kings game?

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I was planning on trip to LA for another reason from Jan 31st to Feb 2nd, but looking at the schedule, I see the Hawks play @ Kings Feb 3rd.
Are tix hard to get at staples center? Are Kings "fans" cool? How is the atmosphere? etc.
Those are the questions I have.
I can swing my short trip, but the extra 2 days and the game will cost me big big. (but would also be best real trip I've had in years, like a two in one deal)
Should I just fly home Sunday and watch Monday's game on TV or should I stick in LA for two more days and go to the game?

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
You could always do my plan..... </p>

</p>

I was hoping to make it out there from Friday-Thursday in order to make it for the Ducks-Hawks game on the 5th. Thats if I can somehow hope to raise $1500 for the whole trip. *sigh* So yeah, I feel your pain.</p>

</p>

At any rate, I can help you on that...

Tickets aren't hard at Staples Center to obtain, and they are cheap... However, the Hawks travel well, so I expect the game to sell very fast if it hasn't already. The atmosphere is likely different than when I last went to Staples. Its still likely quiet during most of the games. When I went, it usually was as dead as a church... Now, it isn't... 

Kings fans are nice, somewhat knowledgeable. But every team has their delusional idiots, and they come out in full force during Ducks-Kings games. That said, I did almost get into a fight with Kings fans during a game once.... The guy was drunk and I hate the Kings as everyone knows. The Kings lost that day and saw me wearing the opposing team's jersey that night. Shit hit the fan after, but its hilarious about what ticks those fans off... I expect this game to be a bit better of an experience, however.</p>

</p>

I'd recommend going.  </p>

Samurai

Ridiculum Anserini
Liked Posts:
You should go.</p>

</p>

Can't speak for LA, as I've only been to a Hawks @ San Jose. That was a fun place to watch a game...especially since the boys won.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Don't choke on the smog.  LA sucks... been there a few times.</p>

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
I saw go. When is the next time you will be out there?</p>

mikita's helmet

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I've been to one game at the Staple Center, but it was back in 2007 and was the Sharks vs. Kings.  It was the opening game of the season - may have been Wayne Simmons first NHL game - and as a neutral observer I don't remember much bickering between LA and San Jose fans.  Now I hear things are quite different between Dodgers and Giants fans, so I wouldn't wear any Giants gear to the game, if I were you. :icon-wink:</p>

EspoForever

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ytsejam" data-cid="210286" data-time="1380851957">

I was planning on trip to LA for another reason from Jan 31st to Feb 2nd, but looking at the schedule, I see the Hawks play @ Kings Feb 3rd.Are tix hard to get at staples center? Are Kings "fans" cool? How is the atmosphere? etc.Those are the questions I have.I can swing my short trip, but the extra 2 days and the game will cost me big big. (but would also be best real trip I've had in years, like a two in one deal)Should I just fly home Sunday and watch Monday's game on TV or should I stick in LA for two more days and go to the game?</p></blockquote>

I went and saw the Hawks and Patrick Lalame blow a 5-1 lead in the last 9 minutes and then Sharpie scored in OT to win 6-5. I would go again. Regarding where to sit, their arena is kind of odd. They have "100" and "200" level seats which essentially are one level divided in name only, and maybe by and aisle. The slope of those lower seats is not adequate to give a good view much as the 100 level at the UC so seats along the side toward an end are poor. I would look for directly in and end or near center ice if you want to sit close. The really weird thing is that, above the lower bowl, there are 3 rows of suites stacked up on top of one another so the 300 level seems like it is straight up about a mile. It might be no higher than the UC but with all the suites together there's quite a gap between "200" and "300" levels. I cannot speak to the sight lines up there but it looked like it might be ok albeit rather far away.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="jakobeast" data-cid="210307" data-time="1380897119">

I saw go. When is the next time you will be out there?</p></blockquote>
Well, I've been out that way a few times for CalProg events since 2005.
http://www.calprog.com/
This show (Transatlantic) is one I really want to see as I missed them in 2010, and I have the money for the trip, concert part of it anyway. I could be back out there in a year or two for another show I suppose, depends on who is playing and if I can just catch them in CHI. The CalProg group has a core of mostly SoCal regulars that are tons of fun to hang with so I try to bless them with my presence (and/or apfelwein)every few years.
I'm going to the Transatlantic show. I'm going to wait before booking flights or hotel awhile anyway. If I get the overtime I'll extend my stay, rent a car, and play some fucking disc golf.

jakobeast

Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ytsejam" data-cid="210339" data-time="1380933231">
<div>

Well, I've been out that way a few times for CalProg events since 2005.
http://www.calprog.com/

This show (Transatlantic) is one I really want to see as I missed them in 2010, and I have the money for the trip, concert part of it anyway. I could be back out there in a year or two for another show I suppose, depends on who is playing and if I can just catch them in CHI. The CalProg group has a core of mostly SoCal regulars that are tons of fun to hang with so I try to bless them with my presence (and/or apfelwein)every few years.

I'm going to the Transatlantic show. I'm going to wait before booking flights or hotel awhile anyway. If I get the overtime I'll extend my stay, rent a car, and play some fucking disc golf.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

The question was kinda facetious. I should ask when is the next chance you will get to see the Hawks play in LA? And really, what's an extra day or 2? Do it.</p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
Not to mention that, but it comes down to "either here in early February, or there in early February..." lol </p>

BigPete

Liked Posts:
Only been to Hawks at Ducks.  Great stadium in Anaheim.  The wife and I really enjoyed it.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BigPete" data-cid="210478" data-time="1381265470">

Only been to Hawks at Ducks.  Great stadium in Anaheim.  The wife and I really enjoyed it.</p></blockquote>

Yea the Anaheim/Irvine area is awesome. Los Angeles can go get fucked though.

ytsejam

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My last 2 trips were mostly in Whittier. People there were awesome though most of my interactions were with the CalProg folk.
Went to dinner with uncle, aunt, & cousin. My cousin is orange county girl "too good" for Whittier.
But Whittier HAD gone to shit a bit I saw on my most recent trip (2010).
Hopefully I can swing this trip then maybe catch another road game to go along with Dream Theater tour 2014.

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<div> </div>
<div>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="ytsejam" data-cid="210494" data-time="1381286737">
<div>

My last 2 trips were mostly in Whittier. People there were awesome though most of my interactions were with the CalProg folk.

Went to dinner with uncle, aunt, & cousin. My cousin is orange county girl "too good" for Whittier.

But Whittier HAD gone to shit a bit I saw on my most recent trip (2010).

Hopefully I can swing this trip then maybe catch another road game to go along with Dream Theater tour 2014.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Whittier's always been shit. Anything east of Los Angeles within the county border with the exception of Pasadena/Arcadia/Sierra Madre has always gone to shit. 

I don't blame your cousin there. I feel I'm also "too good" for Whitter and that says a lot. </p>
</div>
<div> </div>
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="WickedWrister" data-cid="210479" data-time="1381265761">
<div>

Yea the Anaheim/Irvine area is awesome. Los Angeles can go get fucked though.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

I love Anaheim's many different shopping venues and restaurants. Newport Beach is also good in that department, not to mention the many beautiful women wandering around. Also give Selanne Steak Tavern in Laguna Beach a try. :icon-wink: It should be open by now but the website isn't up yet. 

To give you an idea of how nasty LA is outside Staples Center, I was living within 10 minutes walking distance of the venue ages ago. Sure, they decided to make LA Live, but toilet paper will not cover the stench of an already dirty musty piece of shit. Hell, even the bar I worked at there ages ago never made money. </p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="BigPete" data-cid="210478" data-time="1381265470">
<div>

Only been to Hawks at Ducks.  Great stadium in Anaheim.  The wife and I really enjoyed it.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Some of the fans can be delirious, but as long as you aren't wearing Kings/Sharks/Canucks/Wangs gear to the venue, you will be welcomed with open arms. </p>

</p>

Glad you enjoyed it.... :) </p>

CLWolf81

Fan Captain
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="EspoForever" data-cid="210323" data-time="1380906716">
<div>

I went and saw the Hawks and Patrick Lalame blow a 5-1 lead in the last 9 minutes and then Sharpie scored in OT to win 6-5. I would go again. Regarding where to sit, their arena is kind of odd. They have "100" and "200" level seats which essentially are one level divided in name only, and maybe by and aisle. The slope of those lower seats is not adequate to give a good view much as the 100 level at the UC so seats along the side toward an end are poor. I would look for directly in and end or near center ice if you want to sit close. The really weird thing is that, above the lower bowl, there are 3 rows of suites stacked up on top of one another so the 300 level seems like it is straight up about a mile. It might be no higher than the UC but with all the suites together there's quite a gap between "200" and "300" levels. I cannot speak to the sight lines up there but it looked like it might be ok albeit rather far away.</p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

You can't ask for better views on the 300 level. you still look like your close to the action from up there as I made frequent appearances up there. Not to mention that, but there's extremely cheap prices for those seats... Remember, the arena was built in 1999 and sight lines were highly considered at the time. Sure its far away by the looks of it, but don't let it fool you. It looks like your at the sightlines from the front row of 326 higher up there  They really kept everything up close. For as compact as Staples Center is, that's a pretty darn good achievement. </p>

</p>

Just to give you an idea of what your dealing with, I thought I'd post these pictures a friend of mine took of different locations from the views of Staples....</p>

Lower level suite: </p>

</p>

148798_172383576107985_2082741_n_zps563b6028.jpg
</p>

</p>

Mid-100s level </p>

</p>

229561_219465248066484_2337033_n_zpsdc57957f.jpg
</p>

</p>

Now I don't know where she took this from, but I am pretty good about guesstimating this being from the upper deck. It really feels that close. It likely isn't cause it was zoomed in, but this is a pretty good judgment on my part. I've sat up there all the time and I love the seats up there.</p>

</p>

226857_219465481399794_5392943_n_zpsd5f288d1.jpg
</p>

Anaheim, though..... that place is huge. The sightlines are pretty expansive from the top deck. While I like being in Anaheim, the views are pretty bad from up top.</p>