Anyone ever win a pinewood derby?

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
got the tungsten weights, got the graphite for the lube. any good tips from scouts or scout dads?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Sand paper those wheels! and wd40 those axles! Also put the weight in the front.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
gotta be a dry lube

for the weighting, it's 2/5ths behind rear axle, 3/5ths right in front of rear axle.

I participated a long, long time ago but I remember the simple cars won. The smaller and more elaborate builds always got last. You want something generally aerodynamic but bulky to maintain velocity.

Disclaimer- my cars never won.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I participated a long, long time ago but I remember the simple cars won. The smaller and more elaborate builds always got last. You want something generally aerodynamic but bulky to maintain velocity.

Disclaimer- my cars never won.
agree on the builds. aerodynamics don't come into play really at all. it's more about friction reduction and weight placement. I got a tip from another dad who's got his doctorate in physics, he told me to try to get one of the front wheels to not touch the track lol, so only 3 friction points? wild...

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Great thread. Good Dad. Hope you and your kid win. Lucky kid.
Thx Got two boys in this so that doubles our chances of a win. I guarantee I win the chili cookoff though, my wife got the local firefighters to judge, and I'm making a hot sauce to add to it for the spicy guys and I'm pretty sure that will go over pretty well with those dudes. Going to be a fun Saturday win or triple win.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thx Got two boys in this so that doubles our chances of a win. I guarantee I win the chili cookoff though, my wife got the local firefighters to judge, and I'm making a hot sauce to add to it for the spicy guys and I'm pretty sure that will go over pretty well with those dudes. Going to be a fun Saturday win or triple win.
Need me to call my buddy Todd?

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
If you aint cheating, you aint trying M8
It's scouts. Cheating literally gets you banned from scouting.

I agree with Fozzy. I tried winning legit when I was younger but always lost to the ones who cheated. The scouts never did shit about it except celebrate the 'winners' afterwards. So yes, put my vote into cheat as well.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I agree with Fozzy. I tried winning legit when I was younger but always lost to the ones who cheated. The scouts never did shit about it except celebrate the 'winners' afterwards. So yes, put my vote into cheat as well.
our council is all over this, cars are weighed in, inspected and retained under dual custody until race day.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh pinewood derby!

My car broke before the first race.

So me and the other kids with alcoholic Dads watched the races.

The one Dad who clearly cheated won by a wide margin.

@HeHateMe I recommend you show up BEFORE the races begin, and ideally not covering boozebreath with mints, k bud?

Also don't drunk drive your kid home after, that does NOT make it better.