Anyone ever win a pinewood derby?

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
our council is all over this, cars are weighed in, inspected and retained under dual custody until race day.

well.. you know one of the council members will be corrupt.

if you are going legit...

Back pine ---O-__-------0-- Front pine

use max weight allowed. try and center most weight towards the front of the back axle.
put those tungsten .75-1" in front of the back axle as seen above as __ .
sand n mirror polish axles then coat them with graphite..
misalign front tires so only one touches. have one slightly raised.. drill at an /.. this will prevent the tires from wiggling side to side and promoting turning. one tire.. straight line.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

use max weight allowed. try and center most weight towards the front of the back axle.
misalign front tires so only one touches. have one slightly raised.. drill at an /.. this will prevent the tires from wiggling side to side and promoting turning. one tire.. straight line.
Holy fuck this dude pinewood derbys.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:

One proud son placed 3rd out of 36 scouts. No cheating!

Chili also didn't cheat, lost scout mom and dad vote but won the firehouse vote unanimously. Also no beans! no cheating!

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
One proud son placed 3rd out of 36 scouts. No cheating!

Chili also didn't cheat, lost scout mom and dad vote but won the firehouse vote unanimously. Also no beans! no cheating!
Let's be honest. The firehouse vote is the one you want. Scout moms don't know chit about chili.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
our council is all over this, cars are weighed in, inspected and retained under dual custody until race day.
That's how we did it. Cars were held after weigh-in.

I know the main thing for speed that I was not equipped for was making sure the wheels were aligned perfectly with no wobble.

My son and I opted to go for the non-speed awards - design categories. One year in the "scouting category" we went with a S'more and got 2nd. Another year we had a golf cart.

One year, immediately after Tiger Woods' cheating scandal broke, I very seriously considered making it an Escalade with a fire hydrant wedged in the front grill and a golf club smashed into the back window, but I feared it would not be received well. I still regret not going through with it. If there was a Dad category where it would not have been hijacking my son's car, I would have done it.

Some designs were great, including one that was the Pope-mobile.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
Yes. Growing up I was always fascinated by the Pinewood Derby, a racing competition where boys and girls race wooden cars they have built themselves. I was determined to build the fastest car and bring home the trophy.

I started working on my car months before the race. I spent countless hours sanding, painting, and adding weights to make it as aerodynamic as possible. I also did research on the best designs and techniques to use, and talked to other competitors to see what they had learned from past races.

The day of the race arrived and I was filled with a mix of excitement and nervousness. As I lined up my car at the starting line, I felt a surge of pride in all the hard work I had put into building it.

The starting gun fired and my car took off down the track. I watched, holding my breath, as it zoomed past the finish line. The crowd erupted in cheers as the results were displayed on the scoreboard. To my disbelief, I had won the Pinewood Derby

I was over the moon with joy and couldn't believe I had brought home the trophy. Holding it in my hands, I felt a sense of accomplishment that I will never forget.

Winning the Pinewood Derby was one of the proudest moments of my life, and it taught me the value of hard work, determination, and never giving up on my dreams. The experience will stay with me forever, and I will always be grateful for the memories.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:
I just wanted to take a moment to give a big shout out to HeHateMe for creating such a fantastic thread on the site. HeHateMe always goes above and beyond to create informative, engaging, and well-researched threads that are a joy to read. This particular thread that HeHateMe created is no exception.

The discussion is thought-provoking, well-structured, and truly adds value to our community. HeHateMe took the time to put together all the necessary information, facts, and insights to make the thread a success. I found myself completely engrossed in the discussion, and I'm sure many others did too.

In a world where so much negativity and drama exist, it's always refreshing to see someone who truly cares about their community and goes the extra mile to contribute positively. That's why I believe HeHateMe deserves a big kiss for all their hard work and dedication.

So here's a big kiss and a round of applause to HeHateMe! Thank you for making our community a better place and keep up the great work