Anyone Play Guitar?

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I might buy one and start learning how to play one. I was just wondering if you taught yourself (if so how) or if someone taught you. And if its easy to catch on to(I know its different for everyone,but I'm just curious)and how hard it is to learn tabs/notes,etc.

Last edited:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Tabs are easy, just be patient. Start with the main chords, and work your way up! :)

I'm more of a builder than a player. I love the technical side and build my amps and repair/modify/restore axes.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
i went to college and got a degree in Jazz Guitar. LOL a lot of good its done me :shifty:. so i actually know quite a lot about guitar.

You can teach yourself but if you have a good teacher to show you around you are going to learn a hell of a lot faster. as long as you practice a lot everyday you will catch on fairly quick, if you just think your gonna pick it up for a couple min every once and while and be the next wes montgomery well lol thats just not going to happen.

Tabs are easy to learn as long as you know what numbers are lol. i despise them because there are a lot of flaws to them etc. Actual notation is tougher to learn for sure. and to tell you the truth you probably dont need to learn it, unless you want to get real serious.

any other questions. just ask

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I can play guitar, but I don't do much outside of chords. I suppose for my purposes I never really needed to, but I guess in terms of just starting out, that's probably the easiest thing to do. I had a couple friends teach me at the start and then taught myself from there. I'm probably better than both of them now lol. A good teacher can take you a lot farther though like Dero said. I'd say start off with chords and reading tabs and stuff and go from there.

Undisputed

Liked Posts:
I grew up playing drums, but also play some guitar. While it's very possible to learn on your own, especially with YouTube and all that shit now days, I recommend you take some lessons just to get starts. Lessons will help you not develop any bad habits, which is very easy to do if you're self taught. I think learning from a teacher would keep you inspired. I've seen a lot of people go into "I'm going to get a guitar and learn on my own" only to have it there collecting dust after a week or so.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I grew up playing drums, but also play some guitar. While it's very possible to learn on your own, especially with YouTube and all that shit now days, I recommend you take some lessons just to get starts. Lessons will help you not develop any bad habits, which is very easy to do if you're self taught. I think learning from a teacher would keep you inspired. I've seen a lot of people go into "I'm going to get a guitar and learn on my own" only to have it there collecting dust after a week or so.
I hate those people...especially those with nicer guitars than mine. What a waste...:smh:

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
my sister taught herself how to play the guitar when she was 10.

I'm sure you'll be fine haha

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah thats what I was going to do lol,youtube and GarageBand lessons lol. I will probably maybe learn from my friend maybe since he learned from a teacher and still is I think.

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
yeah the strings are lighter but the frets are the same distance.

Ok cool thanks man!!!

I plan on getting this one
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001FUG89G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=A3ET1CHCB2RN4K]Amazon.com: ESP LTD EC50 - Olympic White 6-string Electric Guitar: 8th Street Music[/ame]

bookiepriest

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I just noticed you're in Aurora. Guitar Center by Fox Valley sells Jackson and Dean Guitars. Those aren't bad. Depends on the sound you are looking for.

I bought a Fender Squier . You'll get more of the " Eric Clapton " sound with Ernie Ball Super Slinky guitar strings. The Squier is the same as a strat-o-caster but the pick ups are cheaper and i believe the neck is a different wood.

Jackson guitars are more the " Metal " sound. Still quality guitars. I also recommend buying a cheap processor for like 150.00. You'll get bored trying to teach yourself.

Whatever strings you buy, the thicker the strings, the more heavier the sound.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I just noticed you're in Aurora. Guitar Center by Fox Valley sells Jackson and Dean Guitars. Those aren't bad. Depends on the sound you are looking for.

I bought a Fender Squier . You'll get more of the " Eric Clapton " sound with Ernie Ball Super Slinky guitar strings. The Squier is the same as a strat-o-caster but the pick ups are cheaper and i believe the neck is a different wood.

Jackson guitars are more the " Metal " sound. Still quality guitars. I also recommend buying a cheap processor for like 150.00. You'll get bored trying to teach yourself.

Whatever strings you buy, the thicker the strings, the more heavier the sound.

Confused people that give advise will only confuse others and spread confusion.

I know you're trying to help, so I don't mean to make this an attack, but you're misleading someone who is absolutely new to all of this. One step at a time, and 95% of what you said is totally subjective at best.

But it would be good to go to a Guitar Center/shop of sorts, tell them your deal, handle a few guitars before you decide off amazon/internet.

derosabomb

Joecawks is a dope
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls

I know you're trying to help, so I don't mean to make this an attack, but you're misleading someone who is absolutely new to all of this. One step at a time, and 95% of what you said is totally subjective at best.

But it would be good to go to a Guitar Center/shop of sorts, tell them your deal, handle a few guitars before you decide off amazon/internet.

this x's 1000

NealKleren

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah I've tried out a few different things of my friends every once and awhile while I could. Most people I know,one of my friends who was in a band that was signed and everything(on an actual legit record label with big bands) suggested it as well for the type of music I like.