Anyone watching Westworld - HBO original series

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
Saw the first episode ad though it was really intriguing. Really like the premise and it has a really good cast. It is sort of dark (especially the way they treat women). Think it has the potential to be really good. We shall see.

Did any of you guys see it? If so what did you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
My expectations were unrealistic because of the people on both sides of the camera, so I was set up for disappointment. After watching the first episode again, and the second, I'm really enjoying it.

In the movie (1973) there was no empathy for the bots, the antagonist was "the man in black" a bot played by Yul Brynner. In another thread I called him the original Terminator, a frightening soulless killing machine.

On this show "the man in black" is a human played by Ed Harris, and like Monster said "You feel bad for the machines". I love the twist and can't wait to see where this goes.

Monster

Liked Posts:
51 is all over this.
Just watched episode two and very interested in the maze.
What it is, what Harris is after, etc.
That plus Hopkins new theme...
I'm all in...

Also, I don't know that I would go to a place like that.
The fear of finding the dark side of yourself.
Then again, I would have to know.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
51 is all over this.
Just watched episode two and very interested in the maze.
What it is, what Harris is after, etc.
That plus Hopkins new theme...
I'm all in...

Also, I don't know that I would go to a place like that.
The fear of finding the dark side of yourself.
Then again, I would have to know.

This show has 1,000 subplots but right now I think the idea that none of the machines can be worse than their worst creators, is compelling. We really don't know for sure who is controlling the bots and more importantly what the real programmer wants. I could see different bots with different agendas written by different humans, starting to clash. The park begins to play out the corporate drama, with the machines acting as surrogates for the big money players.

Got all carried away there. Who the fuck is programming me? Looking at you TJ.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
In the movie (1973) there was no empathy for the bots, the antagonist was "the man in black" a bot played by Yul Brynner. In another thread I called him the original Terminator, a frightening soulless killing machine.

On this show "the man in black" is a human played by Ed Harris, and like Monster said "You feel bad for the machines". I love the twist and can't wait to see where this goes.

I didn't know this was a film adaptation. That is a very interesting twist off of the original. In episode two on the train ride coming in to the park when Hector and William are talking and Hector says "this is where you come to find out who you really are..I can't wait to meet that guy" that is a very powerful thought. You can come to this place and be whatever you wanted to be and do whatever you wanted to do with no consequences (yet) although I have a feeling that will change.

I also thought it was really interesting how the deeper in to the park you go the darker and crazier the story lines get. Ed Harris is searching for the deepest darkest corner of the park. I can't wait to see where that takes us.

It seems like Bernard or Anthony Hopkins has a bigger plan for these machines. To make them as real as possible apparently adding code to give them memories and a conscience. Very curious as to why?

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
I liked the "sex bot" angle of the original...hoping for some Cinemax action from HBO in that regard.

HBO rarely disappoints in this respect. Also, It seems like because they are all "robots" their creators have them naked all the time which can be a plus for the viewers. However, there appears to be a lot of non-consensual sex thus far. It adds some very disturbing yet powerful perspective to the show. What would these people do if they could do whatever they wanted with no repercussions...

Monster

Liked Posts:
Take people, remove morals and consequences.... Could have called it congress.

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Liking it so far.

winos5

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So we like watching it, just not in our presidential candidates....

Monster

Liked Posts:
I slightly derailed that. My bad... Back on track.
I'm looking forward to the first host to turn and get some payback.

number51

Señor Member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I was a fan of the original movie, and I think the premise is interesting enough to provide a good amount of material for a series. IIRC, "Westworld" was a Michael Crichton novel where yet another amusement park goes awry. I assume Crichton had a terrible childhood experience at Disney World. I liked the "sex bot" angle of the original...hoping for some Cinemax action from HBO in that regard.

Crichton did robot theme park gone wrong, dino theme park gone wrong, if he had lived a little longer, Santa's Village?

When I was a kid this guy from Riverview Park scared the shit out of me.

aec99d9d60cfc7a630215e74ab501428.jpg

Okay, apparently he still does.

ISIS?

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
I slightly derailed that. My bad... Back on track.
I'm looking forward to the first host to turn and get some payback.

Who do you think it will be? My vote goes to Delores. The obvious guess.

Spoiler alert:

What I don't understand is that if Ed Harris is human, what happened when James Mardsen (Teddy) shot him multiple times in front of the barn? Were those not real bullets? I thought the robots couldn't hurt a fly? Was Teddy human at that point and then after he was killed by Ed Harris they made a robot in his image and inserted him on to the cast? I am confused as to what happened there. Anyone know or have thoughts?

What I don't understand is that how come when

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
What? Ed Harris is human, so he can't get shot. You answered your own question.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
What? Ed Harris is human, so he can't get shot. You answered your own question.

I am not sure I understand what you mean by he can't get shot. Teddy shoots him multiple times in the chest. Then Ed Harris walks over to him and lifts Teddys gun to his head and Teddy is scared to pull the trigger and falls to his knees...Ed Harris takes Delores and drags her towards the barn and Teddy flips out and shoots him in the back multiple times and then Ed Harris turns around and shoots Teddy in the chest...what were all those shots?

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
they were a robot shooting a human. When a "host"/robot shoots a human, nothing happens, because the "guests"/humans cannot be hurt.

vincentvega

Liked Posts:
they were a robot shooting a human. When a "host"/robot shoots a human, nothing happens, because the "guests"/humans cannot be hurt.

That's certainly what happened but I don't understand the mechanics of how it happened. Were there no bullets in the gun? Or is it a suspension of disbelief play?

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
That's certainly what happened but I don't understand the mechanics of how it happened. Were there no bullets in the gun? Or is it a suspension of disbelief play?

Maybe all the bullets in Westworld are designed to dissipate at a molecular level upon impacting a human being -- as guests can't hurt other guests either. What does it matter anyways? It's a world that involves a gigantic theme park filled with realistic robotic hookers that can contract MRSA and you're worried about projectile physics? Not super high on my list of questions at this point.