Are Qb's overrated?

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
I'm tired of hearing what QB will have a great season or throw for x yards and TD's. Unless we're discussing living legends such as Peyton, Brees, and Brady, I'm not trying to hear about a QB being a factor in why a team wins or loses games. The rest of these guys are virtual non factors in the light of having an outstanding defense first.

How many Super Bowl QB's are in the HOF right now? How many of them are or have been league MVP? Probably less than half.

Baltimore threw all of that money at Flacco, yet lost Ray Lewis, what happened? Detroit had a legit run and pass game for the first time in ages and it still didn't matter with a trash secondary. And what blows my mind, they draft more offensive weapons this year.

Besides that, the popular media rarely talks about linemen. If so, its the obvious tackle positions. Or sometimes people become so obsessed with a QB, they'll blame everyone on the line for the QB doing stupid shit. In reality, QB's are expendable as hell. Few get drafted in the first round, and those that do have unrealistic expectations placed upon them anyway. Everyone thought the Texans needed to go with a QB first, but they said fuck the bullshit and focused on defense. Its just a clusterfuck of opinions surrounding an overrated position altogether.

Defense wins championships.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well, it's the whole package, right? elite defense + weak QB = no playoffs. you need an OL, skill players on OFF, and the right plays being called to utilize your game. you need WRs and RBs that are above average, big WRs, quick slot guys, even TEs that are more than blockers. DEF needs a stout RUN DEF, DTs that can hold the line, and then DEs that can get after the QB. you need solid secondary, to come up on the run, and not get beat deep. and you need strong special teams, a kicker that can hit, good return game, and a solid punter. no one thing wins, you need it all. that's why it's so hard. we've had years with great DEF and weak OFF, and not made it to the playoffs. and you saw what happened last year, even with a really good OFF.

that's why SB winners often don't repeat, it all has to line up, and that doesn't even include injuries.

i think we have a shot to win the division, or WC, and do more than one and done. we'll see.

sam slocum

Liked Posts:
Peyton is obviously overated...he only has one Super Bowl Championship 'cause he beat Rex

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I'm tired of hearing what QB will have a great season or throw for x yards and TD's. Unless we're discussing living legends such as Peyton, Brees, and Brady, I'm not trying to hear about a QB being a factor in why a team wins or loses games. The rest of these guys are virtual non factors in the light of having an outstanding defense first.

How many Super Bowl QB's are in the HOF right now? How many of them are or have been league MVP? Probably less than half.

Baltimore threw all of that money at Flacco, yet lost Ray Lewis, what happened? Detroit had a legit run and pass game for the first time in ages and it still didn't matter with a trash secondary. And what blows my mind, they draft more offensive weapons this year.

Besides that, the popular media rarely talks about linemen. If so, its the obvious tackle positions. Or sometimes people become so obsessed with a QB, they'll blame everyone on the line for the QB doing stupid shit. In reality, QB's are expendable as hell. Few get drafted in the first round, and those that do have unrealistic expectations placed upon them anyway. Everyone thought the Texans needed to go with a QB first, but they said fuck the bullshit and focused on defense. Its just a clusterfuck of opinions surrounding an overrated position altogether.

I'll let this speak for itself.

Here's a list of Super Bowls QBs that are in the Hall of Fame each QB in bold is in the Hall of Fame. Not all have won but each QB in bold is in the Hall.

You'll notice that with few exceptions each Super Bowl has a QB that is in the Hall of Fame.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.aspx?release_id=97

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
This may be the worst, yes the absolutely worst post ever written on any forum. Funny how many of the top sports analysts have said QB is the most important position in all of sports. THis is why we need a practice forum where nitiwts can post really stupid shit, get beaten down then come back a better forum member

10veitout

Liked Posts:

Wrong. QB is undoubtedly the most important position in professional sports. It is extremely hard to maintain a top flight D like back in the old days, on account of the cap.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
This may be the worst, yes the absolutely worst post ever written on any forum. Funny how many of the top sports analysts have said QB is the most important position in all of sports. THis is why we need a practice forum where nitiwts can post really stupid shit, get beaten down then come back a better forum member

Says the guy who just had a thread locked because it was stupid.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
No. Don't get me wrong, QB is very important but it's the most overrated position in the NFL. People act like it's the end of mankind if you don't get a HOF guy.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
No. Don't get me wrong, QB is very important but it's the most overrated position in the NFL. People act like it's the end of mankind if you don't get a HOF guy.

I understand you don't want to read the list of 90% of Super Bowl QBs are in the Hall of Fame, but maybe you should go back to Madden NFL where you utilize a defense to win the Super Bowl and let the grown ups talk football.

Essentially you either need one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game or you need a Hall of Fame QB to win the Super Bowl.

END OF DISCUSSION

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
You need a legit quarterback to win a championship. 90% of all SB winning teams had one, especially now where the last several years it's become a passing league.

10veitout

Liked Posts:

Well if you have that HOF guy, your chances improve dramatically. Teams with QBs that are just ok don't win SBs, unless they either have an insane Defensive front (Which, once again, is very hard to maintain for more than a year or two due to the cap.) or said QB plays far above his own level in the postseason.

Mitchapalooza

I don't think you need a hof qb to win it if you have an amazing defense. Definitely an above average qb but i dont think HOF status

Sent from Cuba

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
fact is qb is the most important position on the football field. u can win without one but the chances are far less in todays nfl.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
I understand you don't want to read the list of 90% of Super Bowl QBs are in the Hall of Fame, but maybe you should go back to Madden NFL where you utilize a defense to win the Super Bowl and let the grown ups talk football.

Essentially you either need one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game or you need a Hall of Fame QB to win the Super Bowl.

END OF DISCUSSION

So the 2012 ravens had one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game? Or are you calling flacco a HOFer

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Well if you have that HOF guy, your chances improve dramatically. Teams with QBs that are just ok don't win SBs, unless they either have an insane Defensive front (Which, once again, is very hard to maintain for more than a year or two due to the cap.) or said QB plays far above his own level in the postseason.

A great QB still isn't enough to win championships, that's all I'm saying. If the O-line sucks, doesn't matter. If the defense sucks, then it really doesn't matter. Why do you think Peyton was interviewing teams, and teams not interviewing him when he was a free agent? He wanted to make sure he had a defense, and a lot of other parts in place before he made a decision.

Packer Fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you need a hof qb to win it if you have an amazing defense. Definitely an above average qb but i dont think HOF status

Sent from Cuba

I agree.

Plus some HOF quarterbacks become HOF quarterbacks because they happened to win a Super Bowl. Terry Bradshaw. Maybe Eli Manning and Roethlisberger. I think on lesser teams nobody talks about them as HOF material. Maybe Aikman as well. And had Elway retired before his two SB's he'd still be HOF but without a SB.

10veitout

Liked Posts:
A great QB still isn't enough to win championships, that's all I'm saying. If the O-line sucks, doesn't matter. If the defense sucks, then it really doesn't matter. Why do you think Peyton was interviewing teams, and teams not interviewing him when he was a free agent? He wanted to make sure he had a defense, and a lot of other parts in place before he made a decision.

The reason was because there was no mystery behind Peyton, everyone knew what he was when they were lobbying to sign him. Of course he wanted a good supporting cast, that doesn't prove your point in the slightest.

And, your quite wrong. Eli may not quite be a hall of fame, but he carried one of the weakest supporting casts of any SB team to the SB in 2011, likewise, Joe Flacco played far above his own level a year later, and carried a struggling Ravens team to the SB on his back. It wasn't the Ravens Defense that won them that SB, it was there QB.

And also, say what about needing an O line? Rodgers carried an absolutely shit Offensive line to SB in 2010, as did Eli a year later, so I guess I don't follow your reasoning.

Look dude, there is statistical evidence that proves your 100% wrong, so why are you even arguing?

10veitout

Liked Posts:
So the 2012 ravens had one of the greatest defenses in the history of the game? Or are you calling flacco a HOFer

If Flacco played his whole career as he did that postseason run, he would be a HOF'er. As I said, either you need a incredible D, a very good QB, or your QB needs to do his best very good QB impression. Please name one exception.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Lets not act like the packers defense didn't show up in the Super Bowl. But I'm not disagreeing with you.. I'm saying you don't need a HOF QB to win a ring. Football is the ultimate team sport and I'm tired of espn feeding people the "you don't have a chance unless you have a QB" bullshit. Football is the ultimate team sport.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
:facepalm2: