Are the Bears in a worse position than any other team in the NFL?

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Despite having an absolutely putrid offense, I don’t think the Bears are the worst team in the NFL.

But are they in a worse position than any other team in the NFL going forward? It’s gotta be close, right?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Depends on how they handle this off-season. If they keep the current regime then yes.

mecha

Liked Posts:
Depends on how they handle this off-season. If they keep the current regime then yes.

honestly dude, get a larger signature. I want to see the league's 3rd best/most expensive quarterback ever in higher resolution.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
There are many teams in a worse long-term position than the Bears. The Bears long-term aren't really in bad shape, we are going to fire a shitty coach on Black Monday and have full drafts. There is some bad money but nothing catastrophic, there are no quarterback albatrosses. If you really want to see what long-term problems look like imagine staring down the barrel of those Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, etc. contracts.

Bears are flexible. In the NFL that can go both ways, but its certainly not hopeless. If you want to experience hopelessness then recall the state of the roster when Emery and Trestman were fired.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
There are many teams in a worse long-term position than the Bears. The Bears long-term aren't really in bad shape, we are going to fire a shitty coach on Black Monday and have full drafts. There is some bad money but nothing catastrophic, there are no quarterback albatrosses. If you really want to see what long-term problems look like imagine staring down the barrel of those Carson Wentz, Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson, etc. contracts.

Bears are flexible. In the NFL that can go both ways, but its certainly not hopeless. If you want to experience hopelessness then recall the state of the roster when Emery and Trestman were fired.

I agree with most of what you said, but I would take DeShawn Watson and his contract in a heartbeat. Houston bigger problem is there inability to build a talented roster.

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn’t you much rather be in the Jets’ position right now?

#1 pick in the Trevor Lawrence draft
All Pro LT
2 first round picks for a box safety
New coaching regime on the way.

I’d rather be the Jets right now than the Bears, by a lot.
Don’t the Jets also have over $50M cap space next year even with the reduction of the cap?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
We are in a really bad spot. Pace sold out for this offseason and sunk us.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Watson is still pretty good. If the Bears had Cousins, they'd be a better team. If they had Wentz, they probably are a playoff team in 2019 and at least he still has some hope for turning things around. It's easier to deal with no cap space when you have a QB (Houston). When you have no cap space, way to create cap space, or no QB....it's a tough spot to be in. The Bears under Nagy have mirrored the Jags 2017-2019, even down to going after Nick Foles as the final piece to salvage a high level defense. The difference between the Bears and Jags though is that the Jags built their defense thru the draft, while the Bears have mostly through free agency. So, the Bears don't have a Ramsey or Ngakoue to trade for draft picks. I guess on the other hand though, they didn't make the mistake of accepting Trubisky's 5th year like they did with Bortles.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Lions picked a db 3 overall instead of Herbert or tua despite having a plus 30 qb. The nfl is riddled with shit franchises it just feels worse cause our fav team is one of those shit franchises. I can legit run down all those teams for you but it’s a waste of time cause it’s too obvious

coolio

Liked Posts:
yes, I can't think of any team right now in a worse position.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nah. Need OL x 3, QB to develop, new coaches to do the development, and a WR or keep AR12.
They can compete next year if this happens.

As shitty as this O is now, the D is good enough to keep these games close as we've seen so far win or lose. Expect some regression as the D ages, and they will regress this year as injuries keep hitting; but next year Goldman being back will help a lot + hopefully a mid round ILB to fill in for Travathan, who was a bad signing, but sticks around for depth at least.

Again, replace Nagy, a few OL, a WR, and QB to develop, and the O will gain 6 or 7 points a game easy. That's all that's needed to escape this mess. Several shitty guys can be cut in '21 (Massie & Leno alone can save a lot for minimal cap hit).

mecha

Liked Posts:
the worst. other teams aren't this bad with personnel and with the money. I don't think you need to completely nuke the defense, you'll probably need to scrap some guys if the math works out with the dead cap whatever (I don't follow that). probably the likes of Fuller and Hicks have to go. I wish they would abandon this 3-4 concept. that way you don't have so much pressure on the DT being 500% the man to make the scheme work... you would have 2 guys in the middle. the reason they went 3-4 was for Fangio was it not? well he's gone. the dream is dead.

2015 feels like an eternity ago.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Patch work needed. Get protection, we still need a legit TE & resign A-Rob, almost the exact same as last year. Nagy needs a true OC also.

CaliBearFan

Liked Posts:
Despite having an absolutely putrid offense, I don’t think the Bears are the worst team in the NFL.

But are they in a worse position than any other team in the NFL going forward? It’s gotta be close, right?
OMG this message board. Your question is fair but the responses are predictable. It looks bad right now given the past 4 weeks but we have competent GM and leadership compared to several teams that stay stuck to the bottom. Not in a great situation, obviously picking the right QB heavily tilts the scales in either direction and we haven't done that. Miserable people won't see it but there is lot to like about the character of this team and how most of them play (defense primarily).

We could have bad leadership and foolish players and be dealing with a lot of BS but we never have much of that relative to the rest of the NFL and i never see appreciation for that on these boards. I respect Pace and Nagy and the the environment they create. Also appreciate how much money was put into the new facilities. There is a lot to like about this current organization if you care about character and doing the right thing.

Obviously winning is the bottom line and not having an even average QB makes everything else seem irrelevant. But we should be proud of how the org is run. And Pace has a great track record after the 1st round for whatever that is worth.

There is no clear path to a good QB which casts a shadow on everything else right now. I've folded on the season. It sucks. After how embarrassing the offense has been I think Pace has 1 more year to secure a QB with promise or we start over.
Then comes a new hope for all. I am actually interested in what Lazor can do with Trubisky if we see him play in 2 weeks. Lazor offense looked promising until it reverted to dumb trick plays. Not sure if just the fist 15 that looked so promising but was a breath of fresh air at first.