Are the Bears just a loser organization?

smilebit

Liked Posts:
Financially? No, this organization can rake in the money. Winning actual games? Yes, this organization is in the loser status, one SB win and one SB loss. In the SB era, the Bears have made it to the playoffs a lousy 15 times......15 times!! Six of those appearances have happened post Ditka. In terms of being a relevant/winning organization, the Bears are the epitome of a loser franchise.

To put this into context:
Vikings: 30 playoff appearances, 0 SB wins, 4 SB losses
Packers: 24 playoff appearances, 4 SB wins, 1 SB losses
Bears: 15 playoff appearances, 1 SB win, 1 SB loss
Lions: 12 playoff appearances, 0 SB appearances

And we make fun of the Lions but the Bears have only 3 more playoff appearances than they do

Last edited:

Bust

Liked Posts:
NFL salary cap was installed to create league parity but it hasn't helped the bears any

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Financially? No, this organization can rake in the money. Winning actual games? Yes, this organization is in the loser status, one SB win and one SB loss. In the SB era, the Bears have made it to the playoffs a lousy 15 times......15 times!! Six of those appearances have happened post Ditka. In terms of being a relevant/winning organization, the Bears are the epitome of a loser franchise.

Packers: 24 playoff appearances, 4 SB wins, 0 SB losses

And we make fun of the Lions but the Bears have only 3 more playoff appearances than they do

packers have a super bowl loss

SD Bears Fan

Liked Posts:
talent ain’t the problem on the bears

Yes it is. Pitt and Baltimore are far more talented than the Bears. So are a large number of other teams. Bears don't have a player on offense that scares anybody.

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The overall history of the Chicago Bears is quite good. Nine world championships.

The recent history of the Chicago Bears is not so good.

Last Super Bowl appearance: 13 years ago.

Last Super Bowl victory: 35 years ago.

Prospects moving forward: The Bears seem destined to be mired in mediocrity, despite having one of the best defenses in the National Football League.

This will be the case until the Bears get the quarterback situation right. That is not to say the Bears don't have other concerns - They do. Most obviously, an effective offensive line.

Getting a top-tier quarterback, however, covers up a myriad of deficiencies elsewhere, and elevates marginal players to average, and average players to above average. If you don't believe that, look northward.

Chicago had a shot at getting "the guy" four years ago when they had the second overall pick in the draft. In hindsight, that appears to have been a big swing-and-a-miss, of Dave Kingman proportions.

The Bears will not be drafting that high in 2021, nor will they be coming off of a Super Bowl victory. They will be a middle-of-the-pack team, in all likelihood.

That does not, however, preclude the Bears from getting a quality quarterback of the future - It just makes it harder. The other obstacle may be that Nagy and Pace are too far into their respective contracts to be interested in a rookie QB.

And so, here we are, again - The brain-trust that brought you Mike Glennon, Mitchell Trubisky and Nick Foles still in charge....Virginia still enjoying afternoon naps and reruns of the Golden Girls....

Not good.

Most of their championships came before the modern era. Sad franchise.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Are the Bears just a loser organization?

No .... they're a very profitable family business. In their minds they don't have to win to be profitable. It's been that way as long as I can remember.

I wish I could find the article. Jerry Angelo once said in a interview, he's here to protect the McCaskey interest.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

Packers: 24 playoff appearances, 4 SB wins, 1 SB losses

Right. The Lions.
I'm still happy I'm not a lions fan. Pretty sure one SB win is better than the Lions zippy SBs

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes it is. Pitt and Baltimore are far more talented than the Bears. So are a large number of other teams. Bears don't have a player on offense that scares anybody.

if the bears had a respectable offensive line and coaching like Pitt and Baltimore have...guys like ARob, Mooney, Kmet, and Ant Mill would do as much damage as most. They have some talent. Just nobody bothered to care about fixing the O line issues of the last few years

edit - and Nagy is not a HC. Imagine if tomlin was the bears HC? Do you really think they’d be struggling THIS badly?

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Steelers are my AFC team. The Rooney family is everything you wish the McCaskeys were...true football royalty.

I think the most amazing thing about the Steelers is that they have had three head coaches over the last fifty years. Meantime, the Bears have had four over the last eight years.

Liked because that is true for me too about the Steelers but honestly, it is NOT because they get stubborn when their coaches have bad years (not claiming that is your position by the way)

but convinced they had honest to God football coaches so when Cowher struggled after the SB loss in 95 they KNEW he was the real deal and built patiently with the tools he needed to win in 2005.

Meanwhile, in CHI, every GM and HC are sycophants to the owners first and football is secondary! And the BEST way to insure loyalty and ass kissing is to go "discount" So, instead of Arians we get Trestman ... instead of Ballard we get Pace.

The fact that they turn it all over frequently is because their own hires are frauds and the on-field football results get so terrible as to be unavoidable and then ... wash... rinse ... repeat ...

SD Bears

Liked Posts:
This is an organization that kept sending paychecks to Mel Tucker, the DC responsible for the 2 worst defensive seasons the Bears have had in their 100+ year existence.

This is an organization that last hired a GM with no GM experience, and a head coach with no head coaching experience and 1 game of OC experience. It's fitting they moved up in the draft to select a QB that started 13 games in college and couldn't have been more unremarkable as a player. The point is you don't have to pay top dollar to GMs with no GM experience and head coaches with no HC or OC experience. The Bears brass is as cheap as they come, and the lack of playoff appearances reflects that.

Bears are the definition of a loser organization, and will continue to be until the McCaskeys sell the team. Don't hold your breath.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
This is an organization that kept sending paychecks to Mel Tucker, the DC responsible for the 2 worst defensive seasons the Bears have had in their 100+ year existence.

This is an organization that last hired a GM with no GM experience, and a head coach with no head coaching experience and 1 game of OC experience. It's fitting they moved up in the draft to select a QB that started 13 games in college and couldn't have been more unremarkable as a player. The point is you don't have to pay top dollar to GMs with no GM experience and head coaches with no HC or OC experience. The Bears brass is as cheap as they come, and the lack of playoff appearances reflects that.

Bears are the definition of a loser organization, and will continue to be until the McCaskeys sell the team. Don't hold your breath.

>>> #48

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's because the owners hire bad GMs and it trickles down from there. Relatively speaking Pace is a great GM...do you guys remember Mark Hatley...holy shit....record 19 - 45.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Bears were a good 20th century team but are a bad 21st century team.

cd35

Liked Posts:
They have been a bottom rung team for most of their existence. Somehow they get by on this myth of being a great franchise just bc they were an original team and were good in the beginning of the league. Almost as dumb as the myth of "Bear Weather."

Remember, 7 out of 9 championships came before 1950

This is a team that had Sayers AND Butkus and never made the playoffs.

Another myth is that Halas was awesome and it's all the fault of the McCaskeys. Like the team, he started great and then was a terrible owner.

Since '92 they've only twice had 2 winning seasons in a row. Think about that one.

Even the 80's team in reality were horrible underachievers and it's head shaking that team only won one SB.

The McCaskeys used to be dumb and cheap. They haven't been cheap in decades but that's even sadder. They're so incompetent, this is the best they can honestly do.

The only thing the Bears are really good at is convincing people from analysts to fans that somehow they're this important cornerstone franchise with a rich winning history. They're not. They're a half step above the Jets and Browns.

Applefan

Liked Posts:
It's because the owners hire bad GMs and it trickles down from there. Relatively speaking Pace is a great GM...do you guys remember Mark Hatley...holy shit....record 19 - 45.

Wasn't Hatley the one who drafted Kruetz, Parrish. Colvin, Azumah, Urlacher and Brown?