Are the Bears the worst big market franchise in professional sports?

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We're just bad enough to almost never get a good draft pick, but not good enough to compete. We're a mediocre to middling franchise run by a bunch of silver-spoon idiot rich kids that never actually worked a day in their fucking lives, but have this inflated sense of self-worth for themselves and the idiots around them. Hence why Ted Phillips, a glorified fucking accountant is president and CEO of the fucking Chicago Bears, and actually makes football decisions, even though he has ZERO business doing so. And why Ryan Pace was retained even though he has NO IDEA how to ever address the most important position in all of professional sports.

That's our Chicago Bears.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
No way. Not even close. And that’s really saying something!

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
The kings, orioles, pirates and Marlins are not big market organizations. None are even top 20 in market size.
Miami is #16
Bmore may as well be lumped in with DC(the 7th ranked sports market) as they do for Oakland/san fran/san jose or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Also Sacramento is #20 sports market.

Pittsburgh is #24

and Bmore is #26. but again it's right there just north of DC.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not even the worst ran in our own city....

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
Urinating Tree sums it all up about the team in this video.

Bears4Ever_34

Liked Posts:
The Jets haven't been to a Superbowl since 1968 and have only played in 25 playoff games in their history.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
Miami is #16
Bmore may as well be lumped in with DC(the 7th ranked sports market) as they do for Oakland/san fran/san jose or Dallas/Fort Worth.
Also Sacramento is #20 sports market.

Pittsburgh is #24

and Bmore is #26. but again it's right there just north of DC.
Point is, they are not big market franchises.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
The Washington Football team under Snyder’s ownership would be next for me after the Jets.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Aside from the Los Angeles Rams, who draw about as well as the White Sox do, it is arguable that the Bears are the best run NFL franchise of the three largest sports markets in the country.

shoez90

Liked Posts:
Phoenix is the 5th largest city now.

Cardinals are worse than the Bears overall. Coyotes have been bad...constantly rumored to be moving.
if Kyle Murray and the cards make the playoffs before the Bears then what?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
All of this is pointless until parameters are set on what a big market is

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
if Kyle Murray and the cards make the playoffs before the Bears then what?

Then they'd have 5 playoff appearances since 2000 to the Bears 6.

That was an epic collapse by the Cards last year.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
You said top 20 though and they either are or close to it.

Now if you said "top 5" well then I'd see your point.
Do you agree that those are big market franchises?

If not, then you already see my point. If you do, then you’re as wrong as the original post that I quoted. One of those is #20, one is 16th, the other two are outside of the top 20. As I said, my point is that they are not big market franchises, which is correct. You have no point that is relevant to the original argument, and are arguing just to argue. Have a good day sir

and for the record, Baltimore and DC are completely separate sports markets and can not simply be grouped together because you feel like it.

Last edited:

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Do you agree that those are big market franchises?

If not, then you already see my point. If you do, then you’re as wrong as the original post that I quoted. One of those is #20, one is 16th, the other two are bottom 10. there are only around 30 or so sports markets. As I said, my point is that they are not big market franchises, which is correct. You have no point that is relevant to the original argument, and are arguing just to argue. Have a good day sir

and for the record, going by the same list you used to get your stats, Baltimore and DC are completely separate sports markets and can not simply be grouped together because you feel like it.

I think they are top 20 markets. Or close to it. There are not "30 sports markets" There is literally a market wherever there is a professional sports team. However there are 52 metered markets and 53 markets if you count Green Bay.

I am not "arguing just to argue" You aren't stating facts. That's all.
You wanna say "they aren't big markets " Fine. But don't spew nonsense afterwards.

Look it up if you want to. Or don't and keep making false generalizations because you don't reall know what you are talking about.

You too have a good day sir.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
Old article but goodie...

Wow. Quite a read.

Those first two paragraphs really get your attention:

The National Football League's Chicago Bears have one of the most recognizable brands in American sport. They play in the league's second-largest television market, which they do not share with another NFL team. Founded not quite a century ago by George Halas, the franchise is one of only two original NFL teams still in existence. Some of the game's greatest, like Gale Sayers, Dick Butkus and Walter Payton, have played for the "Monsters of the Midway."

No matter. In a league run by dynamic owners like Jerry Jones in Dallas, Daniel Snyder in Washington and Robert Kraft in New England, the Bears are financial flatliners. In this year's FORBES NFL valuations the Bears rank ninth, worth $1.07 billion, the lowest-ranked big market team, and are behind even the small-fry Baltimore Ravens. On the field they've recently been just as mediocre, compiling a 111--129 record since 1995. No NFL team has done less with more.

You look at what a little town like Green bay can do, and then you look at us....

Just wow.