Are the Bears the worst big market franchise in professional sports?

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
We're just bad enough to almost never get a good draft pick, but not good enough to compete.
To me, that's what makes the Pace regime so much worse than most people will acknowledge. They never get the chance to use a top 3 pick, let alone move up one spot and have your pick of the litter. Add to that setting the Kevin White pick on fire and missing on Floyd as a top edge rusher. Three top 10 picks. Pace had the opportunity that Phil Emery didn't and completely blew it.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
I think they are top 20 markets. Or close to it. There are not "30 sports markets" There is literally a market wherever there is a professional sports team. However there are 52 metered markets and 53 markets if you count Green Bay.

I am not "arguing just to argue" You aren't stating facts. That's all.
You wanna say "they aren't big markets " Fine. But don't spew nonsense afterwards.

Look it up if you want to. Or don't and keep making false generalizations because you don't reall know what you are talking about.

You too have a good day sir.

You are arguing just to argue. Are they big or not? It’s a yes or no question. You’re dancing around the point of the post just to start a debate about what exactly? That I was 4 spots from being correct without having to google like you did? None of them are big sports market teams, that’s all I was saying. Whether theyre Top 16 or Top 20 doesn’t matter. The point remains the same. Have a good day sir

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I’m not reading

I’m not reading all of this. Judging from the length of this post it appears that you are still just talking to talk, yet no matter what you say the fact remains that none of those teams are big market franchises. My point stands and your original argument is still pointless. Have a good day sir

The old "I'm illiterate, therefore I'm right" strategy, eh?

14zczs.jpg

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Aside from the Los Angeles Rams, who draw about as well as the White Sox do, it is arguable that the Bears are the best run NFL franchise of the three largest sports markets in the country.
nah. Giants at least beat Brady twice.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
You are arguing just to argue. Are they big or not? It’s a yes or no question. You’re dancing around the point of the post just to start a debate about what exactly? That I was 4 spots from being correct without having to google like you did? None of them are big sports market teams, that’s all I was saying. Whether theyre Top 16 or Top 20 doesn’t matter. The point remains the same. Have a good day sir

So it's "big market" now and not "none of those teams are top 20 markets" or "There are only like 30 total markets"?

It's whatever you want it to be huh? I'm still waiting for you to define "big market" Top 5? Top 10? Top 3? It's reallu whatever you want.

You started at top 20 but since you've been called out on that it appears wr are switching.

Let me know boss.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
It's pretty close, but I think Chicago may do a little better than New York if you go:

Knicks
Jets
Mets

....against.....

Bulls
Bears
Sox
No way this is even close. The Sox have a recent title and are on the upswing. The Bulls front office has sucked, but they've had a team that was top tier a few times in the last decade. The Bears have been to a SB and an additional title game. Those New York teams don't come close to that.

cd35

Liked Posts:
The Knicks are the worst, it's not even close.

The answer to "The Yankees are successful bc they're in NY and can just buy their teams" is "The Mets are just 10 miles away."

The Jets are also worse although the Bears are closer than people would like to admit.

The Clippers are also worse although magically coming back to life somewhat recently.

The glaring thing about the Bears is that the Mets, Jets and Clippers are basically secondary teams for their cities.

The Bears are the only NFL team in the third biggest market and probably the most "beloved" in the city but are pretty much garbage except for a few stumbling minor successes every few years or so.

The funniest part (or not, depending how you look at it) is they are terribly mediocre bc it's really just a trust fund for the McCaskies. They're run incompetently and conservatively so the family can remain comfortable, but if they were even minorly more competent, the team would be worth A LOT more than it is right now.

r1terrell23

Liked Posts:
The Knicks are the worst, it's not even close.

The answer to "The Yankees are successful bc they're in NY and can just buy their teams" is "The Mets are just 10 miles away."
To be fair, the Mets came in 1962 after the Dodgers left. The Yankees already monopolized New York by that point.

DammitFullerTurnUrHead!

Liked Posts:
The old "I'm illiterate, therefore I'm right" strategy, eh?

View attachment 10947
So it's "big market" now and not "none of those teams are top 20 markets" or "There are only like 30 total markets"?

It's whatever you want it to be huh? I'm still waiting for you to define "big market" Top 5? Top 10? Top 3? It's reallu whatever you want.

You started at top 20 but since you've been called out on that it appears wr are switching.

Let me know boss.
cool, still not big market teams though.

Biscuit

Liked Posts:
Old article but goodie...

Good article, worth reading, but it leaves out a key turning point in Bears history.

Mugs Halas died of a heart attack, age 54, in 1979. So, when George Halas died in 1983, the team went to his daughter. Things might’ve been a lot different if Mugs had inherited the team.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Bad organizations are the ones that have no direction or strategy. The Jets wanted to tank, executed it almost flawlessly and now they are loaded with 1st round picks, cap space, and can draft or trade for almost any QB they want besides the 2 or 3 best guys.

So are they a bad organization because they don’t go 7-9 or 8-8 every year? All the usual punching bags like the Jets and Browns and Jags are gonna be good soon.

So yeah, the Bears are the biggest joke of them all. All of us know they have no chance of winning a Chip before 2030. Because they don’t prioritize the QB position.

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Phoenix is the 5th largest city now.

Cardinals are worse than the Bears overall. Coyotes have been bad...constantly rumored to be moving.

Any ownership group that would put a Hockey team in sand country should have their heads examined