Are the Blackhawks too good to tank?

Bearsy555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somehow, someway the Blackhawks are absolutely defying expecations this year and actually look like a competitive team.

Do you guys think the Blackhawks will continue their early season success or start to fall off and tank-like just about everyone expects?

Last edited by a moderator:

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, we appear too good to tank hard enough.

Probably will pick 5-12 and again at 15-20 or so and pick up a couple fwds with huge upside.

But it’s a lottery right?
The winning slot can jump us even if #1

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think a lot of what's going on right now is new Coach, new system, new players. No scouting. Once the league gets enough film and we start playing teams twice or more we'll be a little more figured out and come down to level. For now it's fun though. I also think the physicality won't sustain and you'll start to see injuries that will again limit. Get the excitement up. Sell some tickets. Do what you can but ultimately, you still suck.

So far though the coach and system seem solid. Just have to remember that when the talent turns off. Will be interesting to see what he can do with a roster he can help shape.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Seth Jones out a month helps the tank cause. That’s a lot of minutes for someone else to pick up even if Jones isn’t worth 9.5 million.

Savard18

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think a lot of what's going on right now is new Coach, new system, new players. No scouting. Once the league gets enough film and we start playing teams twice or more we'll be a little more figured out and come down to level. For now it's fun though. I also think the physicality won't sustain and you'll start to see injuries that will again limit. Get the excitement up. Sell some tickets. Do what you can but ultimately, you still suck.

So far though the coach and system seem solid. Just have to remember that when the talent turns off. Will be interesting to see what he can do with a roster he can help shape.
Agree with ya here Mass Havoc.

although I do think the physicality will be constant. That looks like that is what Richardson is pushing, the nasty PITA stuff in front of the net that you can get away with (although not to the same extent when he played) and make you have to compete against them even if they are a weaker oppt. I will hope to see Caleb Jones get more of a chance (saw probably his best game to date vs Wild) with the extra mins, and hope we see some other Dmen in the system get a shot to compete. What also looks good is Coach looks like he has given that Dickinson/Laff/Blackwell line their identity and expectations of them and others. Hate to say it but hope Tyler Johnson stays out longer, I have no use for that signing. and highly doubt that contract will get moved but here's hoping!

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Nope. This teams already starting to come around.

Last two games were winnable but the Hawks only took two out of four points. Seth out a month is gonna help with the tank.

This team was getting carried by the goaltending. Once that dries up this team is toast.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Nope. This teams already starting to come around.

Last two games were winnable but the Hawks only took two out of four points. Seth out a month is gonna help with the tank.

This team was getting carried by the goaltending. Once that dries up this team is toast.
I feel the same. The team just doesn't have the core level of talent to win even though the systems seem solid for now. Goaltending should come back down because none of those guys are Fleury, much less Crawford, Much less Espo/Hall. Plus, teams will start getting video on us (like @MassHavoc said), they should be able to exploit the 'hawks weaknesses.

We may not be *the* cellar when all is said an done, but I think we'll be bottom-10, if not bottom-5.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I feel the same. The team just doesn't have the core level of talent to win even though the systems seem solid for now. Goaltending should come back down because none of those guys are Fleury, much less Crawford, Much less Espo/Hall. Plus, teams will start getting video on us (like @MassHavoc said), they should be able to exploit the 'hawks weaknesses.

We may not be *the* cellar when all is said an done, but I think we'll be bottom-10, if not bottom-5.
So long as they’re bottom seven they will be fine this coming draft.

I can seriously see Kane and Toews giving KD the middle finger come deadline and not lifting their NMCs. I’ll bet money this teams competitive and KD does fuck all at the deadline for a playoff run and the hawks not giving a shit afterwards.

I’m just not into the whole tanking thing. Sure this is the year to do it but….

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Agree with ya here Mass Havoc.

although I do think the physicality will be constant. That looks like that is what Richardson is pushing, the nasty PITA stuff in front of the net that you can get away with (although not to the same extent when he played) and make you have to compete against them even if they are a weaker oppt. I will hope to see Caleb Jones get more of a chance (saw probably his best game to date vs Wild) with the extra mins, and hope we see some other Dmen in the system get a shot to compete. What also looks good is Coach looks like he has given that Dickinson/Laff/Blackwell line their identity and expectations of them and others. Hate to say it but hope Tyler Johnson stays out longer, I have no use for that signing. and highly doubt that contract will get moved but here's hoping!
I should clarify, I think the physicality stays as well. I think it will be a hallmark of his coaching style. I just meant that it takes a toll on the players, and right now it being used very heavy handed in order to make up for some of the talent... well lack of talent. That's going to grind on some of these guys, especially the younger ones who maybe aren't used to managing their bodies through this physical of a grind throughout a whole NHL season. That's when the injuries will come and we'll see some guys swapped in who will be in the same position of trying to make energy and physicality stand out for them in lieu talent.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
So long as they’re bottom seven they will be fine this coming draft.

I can seriously see Kane and Toews giving KD the middle finger come deadline and not lifting their NMCs. I’ll bet money this teams competitive and KD does fuck all at the deadline for a playoff run and the hawks not giving a shit afterwards.

I’m just not into the whole tanking thing. Sure this is the year to do it but….
Can you remind me the odds of the lottery here. I know it's weighted, but I think you and others keep identifying top 7 as the key and sure the worse you are the better to getting higher, but how much of a difference in chances of the 1 pick is say 4th worse vs. 7th worst? And from your statement are you saying this strong of a draft basically has us getting an all-star anywhere from 1-7?

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Can you remind me the odds of the lottery here. I know it's weighted, but I think you and others keep identifying top 7 as the key and sure the worse you are the better to getting higher, but how much of a difference in chances of the 1 pick is say 4th worse vs. 7th worst? And from your statement are you saying this strong of a draft basically has us getting an all-star anywhere from 1-7?
It’s like if the Hawks finish 7th worst they have a I think 13% chance of winning a top three spot in the lottery. The rules are all fucked up and I’ll look deeper into them one of these days but they changed a lot of the shit around. Thank the fucking Oilers.

And yes, top 7 this draft is a top line player. If they get 7, you just take the guy left and be happy, even if it is Michkov and you have to wait two years.

LordKOTL

Scratched for Vorobiev
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Portland Timbers
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I should clarify, I think the physicality stays as well. I think it will be a hallmark of his coaching style. I just meant that it takes a toll on the players, and right now it being used very heavy handed in order to make up for some of the talent... well lack of talent. That's going to grind on some of these guys, especially the younger ones who maybe aren't used to managing their bodies through this physical of a grind throughout a whole NHL season. That's when the injuries will come and we'll see some guys swapped in who will be in the same position of trying to make energy and physicality stand out for them in lieu talent.
I think that's a good thing. LR is setting the system up to be something that the guys we have can play--more fundamentals, physicality, and playing to the abilities of the guys in the lineup.

This is good and a contrast to JC who tried to have a system that he (or likely the Legume-reckoner) wanted, and tried to do the whole square-peg-round-hole thing.

But, I think it's also trying to enforce good habits--like getting guys *to* the front of the net as opposed to them trying to be perimeter players without the talent to execute.

I think right now KD's regime is trying to lay down the foundations for the next gen, which is a good thing. I'm hoping these habits stay once the roster is ready to really compete again.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I think that's a good thing. LR is setting the system up to be something that the guys we have can play--more fundamentals, physicality, and playing to the abilities of the guys in the lineup.

This is good and a contrast to JC who tried to have a system that he (or likely the Legume-reckoner) wanted, and tried to do the whole square-peg-round-hole thing.

But, I think it's also trying to enforce good habits--like getting guys *to* the front of the net as opposed to them trying to be perimeter players without the talent to execute.

I think right now KD's regime is trying to lay down the foundations for the next gen, which is a good thing. I'm hoping these habits stay once the roster is ready to really compete again.
Yep, and it will pay dividends in the long run because even when we start replacing the grinders with skill guys their will still be the role for the grinders. So 1.) there will be some guys here that will be rewarded long term with a spot 2.) there role will continue on which will allow for the messy work and energy work to still be there and keep teams off balance to supplement the skill guys instead of instead of having skill guys, 3.) they are typically cheaper and younger and can be used as a break in role as well as management of the cap.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are 5-10 great players in this draft.

I wonder if next years final lottery standings are almost more important when you are stuffing the top line.

2023 draft looks like a near certainty we add a top 6 wing or center.
I don’t hate the 18 yo kid staying in the KHL a couple years either.

That we are competing for meaningful games in 2026 is my hope, 2025 with Bedard.