Are the Chicago Cubs Interested in Jose Veras?

waldo7239117

Driving Wreckless DA Best
Donator
Liked Posts:
According to an unconfirmed source, the Chicago Cubs could be interested in right-handed reliever Jose Veras. Veras is 33-years old and last played for the Houston Astros and Detroit Tigers. Veras started the 2013 season with the Astros and was traded mid-season to the Tigers.

In 2013, Veras had a 3.o2 earn run average in 62.2 innings pitched. Veras also walked 22 batters, while striking out 60.

The Cubs need bullpen pitchers and the interest in Veras could very well be true. But the report is considered unconfirmed. The Cubs bullpen struggled very bad last year and as of right now, the Cubs could go young next year. The Cubs will need another bullpen pitcher and Veras does make sense. The Cubs could possibly try to sign Veras to a 2-year contract.

If the Cubs were to sign Veras, he could come in and be the closer or set-up man. If he comes in as the set-up man. Pedro Strop would then be the closer. In the long run, I would give Strop the 1st chance to close and insert Veras as the set-up man.

Other notes:
*According to Peter Gammons, the Cubs will name their manager tomorrow (Thursday). The likely guy to be named in San Diego Padres' bench coach Rick Renteria.

*The Cubs lost a coach of whom they wanted back. Dave McKay left to join the Arizona Diamondbacks. He took the same position with the D'backs and that is the 1st base coach.
*The Cubs are expected to bring back pitching coach Chris Bosio.

*According to Tim Dierkes, the Cubs have signed infielder Aaron Cunningham to a minor-league deal.

http://www.chicitysports.com/2013/11/06/are-the-chicago-cubs-interested-in-jose-veras/

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I could see him getting 2 years at $3-5 million per season.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
I could see him getting 2 years at $3-5 million per season.

If that's the case, that's right in the Cubs wheelhouse. I still think Russell should be traded and sign a left-handed reliever instead.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If that's the case, that's right in the Cubs wheelhouse. I still think Russell should be traded and sign a left-handed reliever instead.

The issue would be would teams with real aspirations of the playoffs want him? Probably.

patg006

Liked Posts:
'Unconfirmed source.'

Masterful journalism....:fap:

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another flippable piece for god Theo

patg006

Liked Posts:
Another flippable piece for god Theo

No, Daddies, see--the 'writer' here cited an 'unconfirmed source.'

I hear the cubs will win the 2014 World Series........according to an 'unconfirmed source.'

Its like dipshit teabaggers putting commercials on during elections saying crazy shit like "According to an independent study Obama/insert politician's name here hates women. Vote for our guy, the guy who loves women, but wants to cut/eliminate all of their rights.

-See what I did there?

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:

I hear the cubs will win the 2014 World Series........according to an 'unconfirmed source.'

Its like dipshit teabaggers putting commercials on during elections saying crazy shit like "According to an independent study Obama/insert politician's name here hates women. Vote for our guy, the guy who loves women, but wants to cut/eliminate all of their rights.

-See what I did there?

Holy crap Pat! That stuff really happens?

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they sign anyone that is a "proven" closer type. Not that Veras really qualifies for that, but I don't see significant dollars invested in the bullpen given the arms that they have to keep on the 25 man roster this coming season.

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:

-See what I did there?
You're a complete dumb ass! Just stop!

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think they sign anyone that is a "proven" closer type. Not that Veras really qualifies for that, but I don't see significant dollars invested in the bullpen given the arms that they have to keep on the 25 man roster this coming season.

They have to get around 100 mil somehow and how better else then spending little extra money on 35 y/o RP at 5 mil+ If you go look at bullpen prices they will have Fuji 4+ mil, Carlos 5+ mil and Bard be 1.5 mil. Clearly not going to spend that on a position player. In Cubs eye every position is filled with minor leaguers that will be studs in 2017

patg006

Liked Posts:
You're a complete dumb ass! Just stop!

A blind, autistic monkey who has a better concept of the English language through colloquial sign language than you do is saying the same thing......

patg006

Liked Posts:

I'd rather have Balfour or Nathan.....

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd rather have Balfour or Nathan.....

Neither would want to close for a 95+ loss team. Veras would just to get CL job. On a good team he a 7th-8th inning guy

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
A blind, autistic monkey who has a better concept of the English language through colloquial sign language than you do is saying the same thing......

Another shitty poster that brings nothing to the table. They got rid of most of them, one more wouldn't hurt.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Another shitty poster that brings nothing to the table. They got rid of most of them, one more wouldn't hurt.

Really, something that brings nothing to the table?

From the genius that brought us useless information via unconfirmed sources.

Does your online "journalism" school offer refunds?

waldo7239117

Donator
Liked Posts:
Really, something that brings nothing to the table?

From the genius that brought us useless information via unconfirmed sources.

Does your online "journalism" school offer refunds?

The report could be true, but no one else mentioned it. I link the article to the site where I saw it. Plus, I'm not in school for journalism. Try again!

patg006

Liked Posts:
The report could be true, but no one else mentioned it. I link the article to the site where I saw it. Plus, I'm not in school for journalism. Try again!

The cubs can also win the world series in 2014, but no one else mentioned it.

Yeah, you posted a link. To an article that you wrote

Credibility is absolutely impeccable. I don't know how you do it.

I'm sure I can provide a link to mine if you give me a few seconds to type it up and post it linking half baked possibilities. Cubs need bullpen pitchers. Here is one name. No way.......

Police officer and sports writer? I wish you luck (not sarcasm) with the former. Chicago? Dont be a burbs guy who sends the swat team for going 5 mph over the speed limit (Niles and Morton Grove.)

The latter? Do us a favor guy.....stop.