Are things really that dire?

Liked Posts:
Is the pessimism surrounding this team warranted. As somebody who’s just started to get into American Football it seems as though this Bears team has some good young players that the team can build out from:

Fields
Monty
Herbert
Borom (judging by what’s been seen so far)
Daniels
Mooney
Roquan
Johnson
Kmet (jury still out but from what I’ve seen he looks alright)
Jenkins (possibility depending on what he shows after injury)

Admittedly I’m no expert but some important positions seem in good hands for the long term.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are schizo, they are either sky is falling or super bowl bound, based on if we have a good record or not.

But your OP indicates Nagy ought to be the fall guy and not Pace.

Liked Posts:
Bears fans are schizo, they are either sky is falling or super bowl bound, based on if we have a good record or not.

But your OP indicates Nagy ought to be the fall guy and not Pace.

I can’t say I really have a “fall guy” since this is my first season being invested ?‍

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Yes, it can be that dire…thanks to…

NAGY/FO incompetence

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Fields is the real deal then no it isn’t “dire” because the right QB covers up a lot of deficiencies.

But other than Quan and Fields I’m not seeing a lot of difference making talent there.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Is the pessimism surrounding this team warranted. As somebody who’s just started to get into American Football it seems as though this Bears team has some good young players that the team can build out from:

Fields
Monty
Herbert
Daniels
Mooney
Roquan
Johnson

Admittedly I’m no expert but some important positions seem in good hands for the long term.
Consistently protect Fields and everything will build off of that…. The situation is hardly dire.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Fields is the real deal then no it isn’t “dire” because the right QB covers up a lot of deficiencies.

But other than Quan and Fields I’m not seeing a lot of difference making talent there.
Correct. Bears fans have an incredible way of overvaluing players that we drafted. When I see that list, I see a bunch of just guys. Solid players, but not studs.

Monty - good NFL back, not a guy you re-sign for $10M AAV
Herbert - Passes the eye test, probably similar to Monty
Borom - to soon to tell, most likely average starter
Daniels - Average
Mooney - Most likely not a WR1
Roquan - stud
Johnson - Trending the right direction
Kmet - Been pretty average so far
Jenkins - No clue

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
You're making the same mistake many homers here make...counting eggs that haven't hatched.

You've got 4 guys listed that were drafted this year. I seem to have this discussion every year.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:

You'll see a lot more difference makers when every single pick on day 3 of the draft next year is a gem/steal with a 1st or 2nd round grade!

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its a good post and you are correct, I think that fans have just been disappointed since the 2018 run because our team hasn't performed up to the talent level IMO due to Nagy.

A good coach and you could easily add 2 wins to the 2019-2020 seasons and that would have been a pretty successful run with likely some playoffs wins... but that is all speculation.

Fields makes all the difference in my opinion. It makes the glass half full. The QB positon is settled, there are some position players to work with and you just have to make some good draft selections to replace some defensive players.

If Fields continues to progress and Rodgers leaves the Packers this offseason, Bears are definitely in contention to win the NFC North.

Johnny Flash

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You're making the same mistake many homers here make...counting eggs that haven't hatched.

You've got 4 guys listed that were drafted this year. I seem to have this discussion every year.

How else would you count them? Once hatched they are technically not eggs anymore.

O so witty remark aside, I see your point and agree. Most of those guys have not proven anything, therefore it's way too early to judge them. Wait and see, then I can decide whether to heap shit on them or not.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
The QB positon is settled, there are some position players to work with and you just have to make some good draft selections to replace some defensive players.
The QB position was settled the moment they traded an additional 1st for him. He's the starter for the next 4 years regardless of play.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Fields
Monty
Herbert
Daniels
Mooney
Roquan
Johnson

We have plenty of good young talent which you named and more than just the ones you named that are starter material or #2's and some older talent that still have some years left of good football. Certain CCS members will always find something to whine about so it will never go away no matter what. We could win the super bowl (Hahaha so that's funny) next year and certain people would still find shit to whine about. It's sad that i'm not even kidding with that last sentence.

msadows

Liked Posts:
We have plenty of good young talent which you named and more than just the ones you named that are starter material or #2's and some older talent that still have some years left of good football. Certain CCS members will always find something to whine about so it will never go away no matter what. We could win the super bowl (Hahaha so that's funny) next year and certain people would still find shit to whine about. It's sad that i'm not even kidding with that last sentence.

This offseason I hope whoever is GM goes hard after every top offensive FA and/or trade target.

Sorround Justin with as much talent as possible. Spend all your cap on it if need be.

I've seen enough of #1 to be certain if he gets a clean pocket we will have a top 10 NFL offense. The next 10-15 years should be super fun.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
The QB position was settled the moment they traded an additional 1st for him. He's the starter for the next 4 years regardless of play.
I was implying settled in a good way. And yes while its too early to project Fields I don't think its a jump to say that he could develop into an impactful starter in this league.

So the Bears situation is not "dire", IMO, as the OP opined.

Liked Posts:
I’ve noticed a few people mentioning about how most of the players I mentioned aren’t “studs” or difference makers. I’m curious as to how many of those type of players a roster “needs”.

Obviously, ideal world you’d have a roster full of difference makers but surely due to a cap structure that’s not a possibility. So how many playmakers are you really looking at for a team capable of challenging?

msadows

Liked Posts:
I’ve noticed a few people mentioning about how most of the players I mentioned aren’t “studs” or difference makers. I’m curious as to how many of those type of players a roster “needs”.

Obviously, ideal world you’d have a roster full of difference makers but surely due to a cap structure that’s not a possibility. So how many playmakers are you really looking at for a team capable of challenging?

Exactly zero if you have a top 5 NFL QB.

You just need a great offensive line, a good scheme, and an offensive supporting cast that meshes well together.

The packers have been doing it for decades. No idea why the hell there are so many dumb NFL GM's who don't focus on line talent.