Are We Underrating the Importance of WR

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Bears need to stop copycatting the league and be what they really are. Strong defense, run the ball, and control TOP. Get beef block on the OL and let Fields use play action to his advantage. The problem the Bears have had ever since Trestman was here is trying to become a turf team playing on the worst field in the NFL. If they are going to build a new stadium and ditch SF, the conversation changes, but until then play to your strengths. Going against the grain does have its benefits too.
The crap turf at SF is a great point if you're trying to be a turf team.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Strong defense, run the ball and control TOP has led to 7 winning seasons this century, 0 playoff wins in 12 years, and domination by the Packers......who by the way play on a crappy field as well, in crappier weather and have no problems with throwing the ball all around that sh*thole of a stadium they have.
If you're talking about results of strong D, run the ball and control TOP in last 7 years as being the Bears I don't think they've done that at all, Nagy never even tried to run the ball or control TOP in my mind, D was above average though.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
It’s a passing league…you are never going to win the SB anymore without a strong passing game. First we need an OL that can protect the QB. You don’t know if any of these guys can pass block. It’s a passing league.

We need a coach that can scheme to help the OL out. When was the last time the Bears made a team pay for blitzing, like the Packers have done consistently for the last 30 years? How many blitzes did the Bears pick up this year? Not very many. This stuff is BASIC. You need to be able to run screens with you RB’s. When you have certain packages in, you can’t run the same damned play every time. You can’t audible to the same damned play every time. You’ve got a good running game, use it to work in play action, it’s not illegal to do that. And how about having an outlet receiver in place that’s actually open…and not taking horrible sacks…and fixing errors instead of them showing up again and again throughout the season.

Ok, I’m still pissed at Nagy, but the offense was completely incompetent in every way but running ….and points off that for no PA. So much is on Nagy you don’t really know what you have.????

To answer the question, I like DM, but he’s not a number one. You have to address that in FA, as well as at least one OL. Then draft OL or CB with your second round pick, whichever is better. Draft a QB, that should happen every year. Implement a competent modern NFL passing attack. You’ll never win the SB until you do.
Bump this can't argue at all.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I don't think that we're underestimating it, I think chemistry has a lot to do with it too. And was why I was so disappointed in Arob this year.

stelz

Heavily Medicated
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think that we're underestimating it, I think chemistry has a lot to do with it too. And was why I was so disappointed in Arob this year.

What was going on this year with AR? Maybe start a thread…

GSHSoldier

Liked Posts:
The entire offense! That’s what pissed me of about Nagy and pace. They come from the chiefs/Eagles and Saints and you think Bears will finally have an offense. Nope!

Midwaymonster75

Liked Posts:
Every one of the greats had a favorite receiver when they were young, so yes, WR is very much a position of need.

All you need to do is look at Cincy. The "experts" were suggesting they draft a LT for Burrow, but instead, they get Chase for him and look at what happened.
Look at Rodgers in GB. He has a patchwork oline but a top tier wr. The bears need a big bonafide stud wr asap. there are many examples of guys with bad olines who get it done at a high level with top tier talent at the skill positions. Robinson is not a top tier wr. Hes a solid #2

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Being that rookie WR’s are often performing like vets right out of the gate these days, I don’t know if I’d pay premium FA prices for the position.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
Being that rookie WR’s are often performing like vets right out of the gate these days, I don’t know if I’d pay premium FA prices for the position.
So many busts are drafted yearly. Rare to get a Chase or Julio early on the draft.

Tillman33

Liked Posts:
Can't afford the WRs in free agency that are on Diggs' level. Nobody in this draft is as good as Jamar Chase, and even the guys that might be close will be long gone by the 39th pick.

Also, really last year is the only time an absolutely loaded WR corps won a Superbowl, and they had the goat at QB.

I would say nobody in the next 10 years might be the prospect of chase haha he’s so good. But a guy like Elijah Moore from last draft, or potentially Garrett Wilson, these can be game changing talents.

im just sooo tired of this team not prioritizing skill talent. It’s been like 7 years since a truly game changing receiver played here. Once A Rob leaves, the Bears might have the worst collection of offensive talent (outside QB) in the league.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would say nobody in the next 10 years might be the prospect of chase haha he’s so good. But a guy like Elijah Moore from last draft, or potentially Garrett Wilson, these can be game changing talents.

im just sooo tired of this team not prioritizing skill talent. It’s been like 7 years since a truly game changing receiver played here. Once A Rob leaves, the Bears might have the worst collection of offensive talent (outside QB) in the league.
Agree.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:

Yeah, I'd target WR in the 2nd (though, I wouldn't hate OL at 39) and then again in the 1st next year. You can find good WRs later in the draft, but you can only find elite WR talent early in the draft.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I actually think we have about a two year window with our pass rushers.
I'd restructure their deals (Mack and Quinn and GOldman), to free up about 20 million.

Load up on Wide Receiver: Chris Godwin (his injury was not as bad as iniitially thought). Resign Grant, promote Newsome, and see if we can also get Christian Kirk.

Godwin
Mooney
Kirk
Newsome
Grant
Late round draft pick

Then at Tight End, we need to accept that Kmet is more inline receiver than a dynamic one. I've always like Mike Gesecki from Miami and thought he was vastly underutilized there. Sign him and allow Kmet to be Jason Witten and Gesecki to be the field mismatch guy.

Yes, all this can be done with our cap situation.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I actually think we have about a two year window with our pass rushers.
I'd restructure their deals (Mack and Quinn and GOldman), to free up about 20 million.

Load up on Wide Receiver: Chris Godwin (his injury was not as bad as iniitially thought). Resign Grant, promote Newsome, and see if we can also get Christian Kirk.

Godwin
Mooney
Kirk
Newsome
Grant
Late round draft pick

Then at Tight End, we need to accept that Kmet is more inline receiver than a dynamic one. I've always like Mike Gesecki from Miami and thought he was vastly underutilized there. Sign him and allow Kmet to be Jason Witten and Gesecki to be the field mismatch guy.

Yes, all this can be done with our cap situation.
On spotrac, Godwin's estimated yearly contract value is $18m. Kirk's is $12m. Gesecki $11m. Say you back load and pay $20m for those guys in 2022 - half the average yearly value each which is really pushing it back. Then the Bears have about $20-23m for 23 or so more guys who count against the cap. Even if you make a few cuts, you've got basically nothing left but minimum deals for the entire rest of the roster.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Bears’ receivers have had the worst separation rate in the NFL by a wide margin over the past few years. That’s bad for any QB, especially a young one trying to develop and learn.

Just as an aside, it’s absolutely true that some of the most highlight-worthy plays we saw from young QBs the past few years involved just chucking it up, even to a triple-covered receiver, and watching that receiver adjust and go get it. Hard to see any Bears receivers doing that right now.

There’s a reason “Fuck it, Tyreek down there somewhere” has become such a prominent meme in Kansas City.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
On spotrac, Godwin's estimated yearly contract value is $18m. Kirk's is $12m. Gesecki $11m. Say you back load and pay $20m for those guys in 2022 - half the average yearly value each which is really pushing it back. Then the Bears have about $20-23m for 23 or so more guys who count against the cap. Even if you make a few cuts, you've got basically nothing left but minimum deals for the entire rest of the roster.
My numbers say we would have nearly 30 million after those contracts. You can cut Danny and Graham and Dalton and save about 13 million. The cap situation next year is very fluid.

TRANSACTIONS LOG (HIDE)

1. Restructured Khalil Mack
    (Saved: $7,286,667)
  2. Restructured Robert Quinn
    (Saved: $7,786,667)
  3. Restructured Eddie Jackson
    (Saved: $6,643,333)
  4. Restructured Cody Whitehair
    (Saved: $4,643,333)
  5. Restructured Eddie Goldman
    (Saved: $3,862,500)
  6. Released Andy Dalton
    (Saved: $0)
  7. Released Jimmy Graham
    (Saved: $0)

8. Cap Space:$64,816,183

Adding those contracts 64 - 41 million = 23 million

Release Danny T after June 1st - 26 million
    Release Foles after June 1st - 30 million

This leaves us with 44/53 of the roster spots filled out.

Last edited: