Are you sure we are drafting a OLB?

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
The list of LB's that are Bears has grown exponentially... Houston, Bass, Allen, Young, Bostic, Greene, Brown, Jones, Lattimore, McClellin, McPhee... 11 guys for 4 spots. This is before we draft anyone. How many LB's do 3-4 teams carry? I know it can't be 11 or 12 or 13 if we draft 2 more. Who or how many, get axed?

Also, Ratliff and Ego are the only 2 on the team, (Dunn, Lane & Merrell aside) that can play NT. Don't we need more? Also, really I see Ego as a 5 tech who's the other 5 tech? Sutton? Washington?

This situation is not looking good at all.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Also keep in mind that one of the benefits of a 3-4 is on special teams. You can have more LB's on the roster as depth that can be used in special teams (which is where Greene, Lattimore and McClellin will get most of their snaps). Making your special teams more athletic.

And I doubt that Houston will primarily be an OLB once the season starts.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
I was pretty confident we would go OLB at #1 before F.A. where we signed a starter and committed a potential DE into a OLB (Houston)

Personally, I can still see us going OLB but we really are in a position to draft BPA (only because we are so weak at so many positions) Personally, I think it makes the draft more exciting.

L GUAPO

Liked Posts:
I was thinking the same thing. I also don't think we draft a cb either since Fuller was a 1st rounder. Alshon will get some $$ as well so I think we get Shelton unless we get a solid FA NT. I hope we go BPA but it's not too smart to load up at one position because usually a team can't keep em all like Fairley and Suh or when we had Urlacher, Briggs, and kept losing Colvin and Holdman type LBers.....too much invested in one position.

I hope they go BPA because a NT can be had in a later round without a huge dropoff

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
I'd like to see Christian Jones compete at ILB and David Bass compete at OLB.

zabavka

The owls are not what they seem...
Liked Posts:
At least 4 of the guys you listed will compete at ILB

We need OLB less than ILB in my opinion in the draft

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
The list of LB's that are Bears has grown exponentially... Houston, Bass, Allen, Young, Bostic, Greene, Brown, Jones, Lattimore, McClellin, McPhee... 11 guys for 4 spots. This is before we draft anyone. How many LB's do 3-4 teams carry? I know it can't be 11 or 12 or 13 if we draft 2 more. Who or how many, get axed?

Also, Ratliff and Ego are the only 2 on the team, (Dunn, Lane & Merrell aside) that can play NT. Don't we need more? Also, really I see Ego as a 5 tech who's the other 5 tech? Sutton? Washington?

if OLB is the bpa then bears will probably draft him...most of the LB's you listed are camp fodder, guys you listed Houston, Bass, Allen, Young, Bostic, Greene, Brown, Jones, Lattimore, McClellin, McPhee...its pretty easy to say that guys like bass, greene, brown, jones, lattimore and mcclellin are fighting for roster spots they are not starting material, there is potential but who knows...generally 3-4 teams carry upwards of 7-8 LBs. Also keep in mind the only reason the bears still have allen is because he's owed guaranteed money. Mclellin is on his last chance and jones is a wildcard at this point, he could be great or he could be a poor fit for fangio's scheme.

Larsonite

Guacamole Taco
Liked Posts:
Atm, we're one injury away from falling apart at 5 tech and cb. Olb is kinda stacked. I'm all for a pass rusher but i'm not sure it's a huge need. The value at 7 is perfect but I keep thinking CB Waynes and DT Shelton are very possible opptions. A bit of a reach for both but they do fit our needs more than olb.

Phibbulous

Thread Killer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Toronto Blue Jays
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Toronto Maple Leafs
  1. Michigan Wolverines

Out of that list of LB's who are you confident can actually help the team at that position?

Houston and Young are coming off injuries so it's hard to know how they will respond.

Allen played poorly last season, but I'm gonna bet that had more to do with coaching and scheme. Allen has never played LB, but I'd say the transition worked pretty well for Julius Peppers last year.

Bass might surprise us and I'm hopeful for Jones to take a step forward. I have little confidence in Bostic and no hope for Greene or McClellin.

I'm excited about McPhee, but we have a lot of questions marks at the LB position.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
Atm, we're one injury away from falling apart at 5 tech and cb. Olb is kinda stacked. I'm all for a pass rusher but i'm not sure it's a huge need. The value at 7 is perfect but I keep thinking CB Waynes and DT Shelton are very possible opptions. A bit of a reach for both but they do fit our needs more than olb.

It's a bad draft to be stuck at the top with major needs at NT and DE. I'm not sure Shelton is worthy of a top 10 pick...hell, I'm not even sure Shelton is the best NT in the draft if Jordan Phillips' back checks out.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Out of that list of LB's who are you confident can actually help the team at that position?

Houston and Young are coming off injuries so it's hard to know how they will respond.

Allen played poorly last season, but I'm gonna bet that had more to do with coaching and scheme. Allen has never played LB, but I'd say the transition worked pretty well for Julius Peppers last year.

Bass might surprise us and I'm hopeful for Jones to take a step forward. I have little confidence in Bostic and no hope for Greene or McClellin.

I'm excited about McPhee, but we have a lot of questions marks at the LB position.

How do you say no to either Houston (because he's played in a 3-4 and was decent at it) or your leading sacker from last year, Young? McPhee obviously a shoe in, Allen you have to keep at OLB, it is Shea's last rookie year and finally a position he's made for. Bass sounds like the odd man out. Bostic, Jones were showing signs last year, that leaves Lattimore and Greene out. And that's without any Draft picks and only Bostic/Jones (maybe) as ILB's? That's nuts. If the Bears draft 2 LB, one ILB and 1 OLB, out of the keepers I mentioned someone has got to go. Shea? or Bass? or both...

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
How do you say no to either Houston (because he's played in a 3-4 and was decent at it) or your leading sacker from last year, Young? McPhee obviously a shoe in, Allen you have to keep at OLB, it is Shea's last rookie year and finally a position he's made for. Bass sounds like the odd man out. Bostic, Jones were showing signs last year, that leaves Lattimore and Greene out. And that's without any Draft picks and only Bostic/Jones (maybe) as ILB's? That's nuts. If the Bears draft 2 LB, one ILB and 1 OLB, out of the keepers I mentioned someone has got to go. Shea? or Bass? or both...

I'd much rather have Bass than McClellin. One at least flashes potential, the other is an absolute nonfactor.

policeman

Son of beech
Liked Posts:
Think they are going wr either cooper or white

I hope not- their defense was been brutal for two years. They can draft literally any position on defense, in the first round, and call it a successful day. A wide receiver doesn't move the needle for this team for the next three years.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
We will draft BPA if that guy is much better than what else is available at draft time. That may be an OLB. Drafting for need when there is better galant on the board is a sure fire receipe for disaster.