Arm strength - Deshaun Watson is woefully bad

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
http://profootballspot.com/nfl-combine-velocity-numbers-creates-arm-strength-concerns-deshaun-watson/

Ball Velocity Results Raise Arm Strength Concerns for QB Deshaun Watson
by Mattis Holt March 13, 2017
NFL DRAFT

You can teach a quarterback a lot, but you can’t teach arm strength. That’s why the NFL Combine velocity numbers might send QB Deshaun Watson out of the 1st round.

Deshaun Watson has been the top quarterback on the board for many NFL scouts leading up to this year’s NFL Draft, but his draft stock just took a serious hit. The ball velocity for quarterbacks has been measured at the Combine since 2008. Some say it’s a meaningless stat, other says it’s a matter of life and death in the NFL.

Here’s how the top quarterback prospects in the 2017 draft class ranked in regard to ball velocity, according to CBS draft analyst Dane Brugler:

60 mph: Patrick Mahomes
59 mph: Davis Webb
56 mph: DeShone Kizer
55 mph: Mitchell Trubisky, Jerod Evans
53 mph: Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya
49 mph: Deshaun Watson

Watson’s Woeful Number

Deshaun Watson’s 49 miles per hour is shockingly bad. The magic number for NFL quarterbacks is 55 mph. Only two quarterbacks with ball velocity below 55 mph have had any success in the NFL: Tyrod Taylor (50 mph) and Dak Prescott (54 mph). Prescott was also reportedly throwing with a minor shoulder injury at the 2016 NFL Combine.

That makes Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor the only QB with a ball velocity below 55 mph since 2008 to find a home in the NFL. Notable players with 55< ball velocity includes Bryce Petty (53 mph), AJ McCarron (53 mph), Kellen Moore (52 mph), Mike Glennon (49 mph), Christian Ponder (51 mph), TJ Yates (53 mph), Jake Locker (54 mph) and Chad Henne (53 mph) – none of which have proven themselves NFL starting caliber.

Only three players have recorded a worse velocity than 49 mph since 2008 — Colt Brennan, Armanti Edwards & Blake Sims — and Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, Josh Johnson, and the now-Bears QB Mike Glennon are the only other four to match Deshaun Watson’s weak velocity.

Will the numbers scare away NFL teams or will general managers take a shot at the former Clemson QB despite his poor arm strength? This will definitely be a big storyline leading up to the NFL Draft in Philadelphia April 27th.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
http://profootballspot.com/nfl-combine-velocity-numbers-creates-arm-strength-concerns-deshaun-watson/

Ball Velocity Results Raise Arm Strength Concerns for QB Deshaun Watson
by Mattis Holt March 13, 2017
NFL DRAFT

You can teach a quarterback a lot, but you can’t teach arm strength. That’s why the NFL Combine velocity numbers might send QB Deshaun Watson out of the 1st round.

Deshaun Watson has been the top quarterback on the board for many NFL scouts leading up to this year’s NFL Draft, but his draft stock just took a serious hit. The ball velocity for quarterbacks has been measured at the Combine since 2008. Some say it’s a meaningless stat, other says it’s a matter of life and death in the NFL.

Here’s how the top quarterback prospects in the 2017 draft class ranked in regard to ball velocity, according to CBS draft analyst Dane Brugler:

60 mph: Patrick Mahomes
59 mph: Davis Webb
56 mph: DeShone Kizer
55 mph: Mitchell Trubisky, Jerod Evans
53 mph: Nate Peterman, Brad Kaaya
49 mph: Deshaun Watson

Watson’s Woeful Number

Deshaun Watson’s 49 miles per hour is shockingly bad. The magic number for NFL quarterbacks is 55 mph. Only two quarterbacks with ball velocity below 55 mph have had any success in the NFL: Tyrod Taylor (50 mph) and Dak Prescott (54 mph). Prescott was also reportedly throwing with a minor shoulder injury at the 2016 NFL Combine.

That makes Buffalo Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor the only QB with a ball velocity below 55 mph since 2008 to find a home in the NFL. Notable players with 55< ball velocity includes Bryce Petty (53 mph), AJ McCarron (53 mph), Kellen Moore (52 mph), Mike Glennon (49 mph), Christian Ponder (51 mph), TJ Yates (53 mph), Jake Locker (54 mph) and Chad Henne (53 mph) – none of which have proven themselves NFL starting caliber.

Only three players have recorded a worse velocity than 49 mph since 2008 — Colt Brennan, Armanti Edwards & Blake Sims — and Dan LeFevour, Tony Pike, Josh Johnson, and the now-Bears QB Mike Glennon are the only other four to match Deshaun Watson’s weak velocity.

Will the numbers scare away NFL teams or will general managers take a shot at the former Clemson QB despite his poor arm strength? This will definitely be a big storyline leading up to the NFL Draft in Philadelphia April 27th.

Jesus, do we have to go over this multiple times? We literally had a whole thread on this already.

Long story short, he doesn't have a cannon but nearly every evaluator worth a damn thinks he can make all the throws. The end.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Look at his touch.

LOL, sounds like the Bears will definitely draft him then.

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
How many top tier QB's have that weak of an arm? Don't worry I'll wait.

I will trust the multiple, trusted evaluators who say he can make all the throws and my own eyes watching tape of him making all the throws plus the fact that arm strength/velocity can be improved over a one time velocity measurement at the underwear Olympics.

Just search for the thread a month ago where this was discussed to death.

Bearshomer

Liked Posts:
Watson isn't capable of succeeding in the NFL without developing Peyton Manning levels of football IQ and mechanics, and only then he would be average.

rextc

Liked Posts:
The only QB the Bears will take is Kaaya in the 3rd or 4th.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

PeterMbangala

Liked Posts:
I remember it evaluate Watson differently, you have to build a team around him. blah blah

Just hope he doesn't turn into Tyrod Taylor when we draft him.

I think there's almost no chance we draft him, so this is all moot. Think he's going to the Texans at 25.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The only QB the Bears will take is Kaaya in the 3rd or 4th.

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

I'm starting to get used to the idea that the Bears won't take Trubs or Watson. If they go QB, it's most likely Mahomes or Kizer. Which is not bad if that's who Pace identifies as his top qb.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
What is odd is that Glennon was touted as having A+ Arm according to the NFL.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0ap1000000152578/article/mike-glennon-grades-out-as-a-future-nfl-franchise-quarterback

So that means that Watson does too.

Taking 1 area of weakness to make it seem like Watson is a poor choice is kind of crazy.

I don't want us to take Watson (mainly because that means we will need to take him at 3), but QBs that have a cannon like Cutler usually rely on it to make the throws and do not anticipate well. While QBs that have slightly weaker arms MUST anticipate.

The only QB in this draft that I want IF we take one at 3, is Watson. This crap about velocity is not the kiss of death for me, he has too much else going right.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Ben Albright and a sports science group re did his number based on frame rate and had him at 53.

He also by a significant margin has the quickest release time, which means the ball he throws should arrive at a similar time to someone throwing harder.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Intangibles....Watson is way above the rest when it comes to intangibles. An it's not even close.

How do you know that? can you measure intangibles? Anyone who says his intangibles are off the chart is an idiot since you can't measure intangibles how could They be on the chart to begin with. Or did you mean his super special "it" factor, or his magical winner trait?

Do you honestly value intangibles more than tangibles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Giant Panda

Liked Posts:
The combine number takes the highest velocity of all their passes. It doesn't mean he can't hit 55 on a radar gun.

Penny Traitor

バカでも才能は一つ
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can the Invisible Mod of this Forum please merge this thread into the "1000 Posts for Watson" thread just to fuck with the OP?

(Thanks in advance)

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
The combine number takes the highest velocity of all their passes. It doesn't mean he can't hit 55 on a radar gun.

This makes sense why Kizer was wildly inaccurate at the combine. Just trying to throw as hard as possible.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Glennon has a good arm imo. Which shows me that Watson's 49 mph doesn't mean much.