Around the NFL - Free Agency Period

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Going to be a crazy week.

Packers resign Aaron Jones, $48mil/4years.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
LOL.

The Packers really drafted a 3rd string QB and 3rd string RB with their first 2 draft picks last year. Their MVP QB is under contract thru the entirety of Love's rookie contract, and Jones now is under contract longer than AJ Dillon. LMAO

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I thought he was for sure gone. Wasn't the whole point of draft AJ Dillon in the second round last year that it would make the imminent departure of Aaron Jones much easier to handle? Could've had Jeremy Chinn or Logan Wilson there, at least those guys would see playing time. 2020 draft looks like it might go down as an all-timer and the Packers straight up forfeited their first two selections on guys who wont even be starting games for them (barring injury) in their second season.

I actually don't even know how they are affording this.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
That surprises the hell out of me. I think GB is going to plummet fast in the next few years but still probably not the upcoming one. Sigh

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I thought he was for sure gone. Wasn't the whole point of draft AJ Dillon in the second round last year that it would make the imminent departure of Aaron Jones much easier to handle? Could've had Jeremy Chinn or Logan Wilson there, at least those guys would see playing time. 2020 draft looks like it might go down as an all-timer and the Packers straight up forfeited their first two selections on guys who wont even be starting games for them (barring injury) in their second season.

I actually don't even know how they are affording this.

They drafted a FB in the 3rd round! And they have no choice now but to let the top FA center, Corey Linsley walk in free agency. MAN LMAO!

Montucky

Liked Posts:
They drafted a FB in the 3rd round! And they have no choice now but to let the top FA center, Corey Linsley walk in free agency. MAN LMAO!
Well they'll find a new center who holds every play. I actually see the logic there. Problem is this Packers team was clearly not good enough to win it in 2020, what makes them believe running it back with the same roster again is going to get them over the hump? Maybe if they had some guys from the 2020 draft that they were confident could blow up and do big things I'd get it, but they literally threw all those picks away for some reason.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That contract is proof that NFL contracts don't actually mean anything and the salary cap is a joke. Signed a 140M contract, but Hill will see $0 of that contract beyond what he was already going to get paid in 2021.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I hope their downfall comes sooner than I forsee.

On another note, I would absolutely love the FB to make a comeback in the NFL in a big way. Pipe dream though I know. They want the game to get faster, more athletic and more offense to keep staving off the ratings dives.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I hope their downfall comes sooner than I forsee.

On another note, I would absolutely love the FB to make a comeback in the NFL in a big way. Pipe dream though I know. They want the game to get faster, more athletic and more offense to keep staving off the ratings dives.

They'll still be better than the Bears (unless they pull off a Russ trade) for a couple years. But they'll be lucky if they can get even a Day 2 pick for Jordan Love this time next year after Rodgers basically forces them to extend his contract (which he may be doing as we speak).

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
They'll still be better than the Bears (unless they pull off a Russ trade) for a couple years. But they'll be lucky if they can get even a Day 2 pick for Jordan Love this time next year after Rodgers basically forces them to extend his contract (which he may be doing as we speak).

With Nagy, we are still bottom-15 offense (even with Russ I suspect). I have often wondered if they may pick LaFleur over Rodgers but even if they were leaning that way, Brady's exploits might make them reconsider.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
This was mentioned in another thread. Its basically a one year, $7,500,000 deal. All the other years are voidable and non-guaranteed. It seems like the two signed this for nothing more than a laugh.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
The is an explanation of this in the NFL free agency thread, it's just a salary cap trick.