Assessing Alfonso Soriano's Value

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If the White Sox are willing to sit Alejandro De Aza and play Dayan Viciedo or Alex Rios at center field against left-handers, they could also consider Soriano. The price for Soriano — not counting the luxurious discount the Cubs will absorb — should be a modest, mid-level prospect — perhaps a Single-A starter with slim rotation hopes.

If the Cubs trade Soriano, the doors will presumably be greased and ready for a Tony Campana, David DeJesus and Bryan LaHair outfield to go with an Anthony Rizzo callup. And unlike the uninspiring Marlon Byrd trade earlier in 2012, a Soriano deal should not be trouble-for-trouble type trade.

more at: Assessing Alfonso Soriano’s Value | FanGraphs Baseball

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Brad, he's a good guy, but that part of the article makes me :lol:

At this point the Sox are in either sit-pat or sell mode, methinks. They're not going to absorb Soriano just for shits and giggles even if the Cubs do pay everything.

I'm sure it's no secret that Soriano's trade value trends towards negative. The Cubs have to send $25-$30MM just to get nothing in return, and that's just a rough guesstimate on my part.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Brad, he's a good guy, but that part of the article makes me :lol:

At this point the Sox are in either sit-pat or sell mode, methinks. They're not going to absorb Soriano just for shits and giggles even if the Cubs do pay everything.

I'm sure it's no secret that Soriano's trade value trends towards negative. The Cubs have to send $25-$30MM just to get nothing in return, and that's just a rough guesstimate on my part.

Probably more than that. Hes got what 48 or so million left? Probably have to eat around 40 IMO. Still to me that would be worth it because we aren't winning til he is gone anyway. Saving 1 million is worth it.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they send everything to get a C prospect in return I think that is probably best case scenario. Now to find some hapless GM to bite on it.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If they send everything to get a C prospect in return I think that is probably best case scenario. Now to find some hapless GM to bite on it.

Eh if the Cubs eat 80-90% I think someone will take him. Soriano certainly isnt what he was but he is still worth 3-5 million a year.

The perception of Soriano is much worse than his actual value. Indians, Tigers (unless you fully believe in Dirks), White Sox, Orioles, or Pirates if they are all serious about contending could use him.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I mentioned this in another thread but I would to get this guy in a deal for Soriano from the Indians. Might be a bit much, but he is 27 years old.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think Soriano pretty much has to go to an AL team who has a sucky crop of DH candidates. That reduces the possible destinations. I could see the Orioles giving it a shot though.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
Id like to get this guy from Boston.

Boston doesn't seem realistic. David Ortiz is entrenched as their DH and the OF is full of better defenders already. The Orioles may have some use for him though. Got a list of O's prospects?

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Boston doesn't seem realistic. David Ortiz is entrenched as their DH and the OF is full of better defenders already. The Orioles may have some use for him though. Got a list of O's prospects?

But the dude has like a 22 K/9 ratio right now. Did you even check him out. I'd kill for him.

LF in Fenway though is where LF'ers go to die.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
But the dude has like a 22 K/9 ratio right now. Did you even check him out. I'd kill for him.

LF in Fenway though is where LF'ers go to die.

Those days are over :lol: I wouldn't mind getting him back in a Cubs uniform but I'm just saying that Boston isn't realistic for bringing in yet another DH.

The Tigers probably want pitching more than they need another bat as well.

I could see Soriano going to Baltimore as the most realistic option. It's where ex-Cubs go to die.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
0% chance the White Sox want him. And we sat De Aza down for rest, not for platoon purposes. Sad.

poodski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Those days are over :lol: I wouldn't mind getting him back in a Cubs uniform but I'm just saying that Boston isn't realistic for bringing in yet another DH.

The Tigers probably want pitching more than they need another bat as well.

I could see Soriano going to Baltimore as the most realistic option. It's where ex-Cubs go to die.

Got ya. Yeah it was more of a joke. Baltimore would be a decent place, though not sure how much they would be willing to pay for him. Same with Cleveland.

I think the White Sox make sense, but I think they need to get Youkilis. Pittsburgh only makes sense if we basically eat everything, since he can't DH there. Plus then we should get something decent and the Pirates could even dump him in the offseason if need be.

CODE_BLUE56

Ded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Eh if the Cubs eat 80-90% I think someone will take him. Soriano certainly isnt what he was but he is still worth 3-5 million a year.
they're gonna have to with his contract

The perception of Soriano is much worse than his actual value.
perception of Soriano by his performance? well duh...value is not totally predicated on performance

Indians, Tigers (unless you fully believe in Dirks), White Sox, Orioles, or Pirates if they are all serious about contending could use him.
well..ya

how many power left fielders are on the market?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I cant see him going to the sox. If we were to trade and try to improve (dunno if KWs latest is him bluffing) but say they were able to buy, 3b and a SP is more priority now if they seriously want to consider contending. Now if we obtained those 2 priorities I wouldnt mind it, but he doesnt replace dunn, he shouldnt be in the field, and not as a platoon. a utility guy for some starts here and there to give pk a day off and dunn to play 1b fine.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
More from Heyman on Soriano:
There is no good reason teams, especially some American League teams, shouldn't be lining up for Soriano, who may be the most productive power hitter traded this month. (Of course, he could be traded next month, too, since he'd surely clear waivers, with close to $45 million to go on his deal through 2014.)

Soriano's 17 home runs have all come since May 15, meaning he's been one of the more productive hitters in baseball over the past couple months. He's been even hotter since the All-Star break, and he is batting .500 with a couple home runs over his last three games.

The Cubs understand they'd have to offset a significant portion of that $45 million remaining, so they are being realistic. It's the other teams that need to adjust. While he isn't a particularly mobile defender in left field anymore on days his knees hurt, he'd represent a major offensive upgrade for a lot of teams. The Rays, who've gotten little from their DH slot, and the Indians, are just two of several he could help.
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/19594927/stock-watch-cubs-dempster-is-hottest-item-on-pitching-market

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
The non-SABR part of me would point to the following reasons for the lack of Soriano interest...

*He is a terrible "clutch" player. His postseason performances have been bad. He seems to do great once the Cubs have been eliminated from postseason play. If a team is looking to add a piece for a pennant race, then why would they want a guy who is proven to be a poor pressure player?

*Soriano is a very undisciplined player, so I think a manager would have a hard time "trusting" Soriano during a tight pennant race. He just doesn't seem to be the savvy veteran player that a team would pick up.

My counter would be that two teams traded for Carlos Lee within the past month...