AT&T anyone?

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
Man. This is one of the most frustrating things in the world for me. If I'm forced to call support for something technical, and I've already spent hours trying to figure it out on my own, then forced to go through their stupid processes, multiple escalations before I get to someone who actually knows more than I do that can resolve the issue. Granted a cut wire SHOULD be a pretty clear issue, but ffs I hate that shit. I get why those processes need to be in place, but it is super irritating in the random situation I can't figure out a solution myself.

I am not a technical guru, the first thing I do is google the problem and call the company. If I am going to have to go through their bullshit I might as well get started, and if Google helps me fix it at any point faster than them I can just hangup.

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Thanks guys. I wish I knew more about some of the things you mentioned.
Guess I'll stick with cable for now. I did talk to someone at AT&T earlier and they sounded kind of weaselly, like a used car salesman.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Guess I'll stick with cable for now. I did talk to someone at AT&T earlier and they sounded kind of weaselly, like a used car salesman.
I had ATT Uverse for a few years, cut the cord but kept internet with them because I didn't want to change my email address. I tried Direct TV Now (owned by ATT) for a few months and dropped it. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Cutting the cord is A LOT easier than it sounds. Whatever you choose best of luck to you and I hope you feel better.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Cut the cord.

I left Comcast probably two years ago now and have Hulu, Prime Video, Netflix, Shudder, NFL Game Pass and Disney+ all run through a 4K FireStick on each TV. The selection is way more and its cheaper.
When you do this do you have to get a firestick for each tv? What do you do for local channels? How does it cover basic cable channels like espn tnt etc?

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
When you do this do you have to get a firestick for each tv? What do you do for local channels? How does it cover basic cable channels like espn tnt etc?
My friend only does cable internet and he bought hulu plus live which I think is around 50 a month. He swears by it and can get it on any device anywhere you go which is nice.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Does AT&T have 5G and spreading the Wuhan virus?

@Novak
They're installing 6g during the shutdown in schools, guys that install it in towers are limited because it disrupts blood cells to not be able to hold oxygen

TheMarshallPlan

Ladies: Libertarians Do It Better!
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

Yes I have a 4K Firestick on each TV but they all operate under the same profile.

Local channels are via Hulu Live.

There are a ton of basic channels that come with Hulu.

The really nice part of the Firestick environment is that it consolidates all my entertainment apps into one. I can sync my YouTube profile across all devices. I can switch from Live TV to NFL Game Pass to movies on Prime Video etc in seconds.

Not only is it cheaper than Comcast it’s a shit ton better. A shit ton.

And it’s easy to setup.

Net I’m saving $100 per month or so and that’s after I electively maxed out my internet speed . I didn’t need to do that to make it work. I chose to do it because we game a lot here.

Novak

Mod in Training/Fire Forum
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Yes I have a 4K Firestick on each TV but they all operate under the same profile.

Local channels are via Hulu Live.

There are a ton of basic channels that come with Hulu.

The really nice part of the Firestick environment is that it consolidates all my entertainment apps into one. I can sync my YouTube profile across all devices. I can switch from Live TV to NFL Game Pass to movies on Prime Video etc in seconds.

Not only is it cheaper than Comcast it’s a shit ton better. A shit ton.

And it’s easy to setup.

Net I’m saving $100 per month or so and that’s after I electively maxed out my internet speed . I didn’t need to do that to make it work. I chose to do it because we game a lot here.
weird flex but okay

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
As mentioned Hulu has a service, as does YouTube. Sling is probably the cheapest one out there, starting around $30/m, but they have a bunch of different packages that can go up from there depending on what you want. They will also send you a free antenna for over the air, depending on where you are:

Personally speaking, I cut the cord a long, long time ago and in the rare event I watch live TV at someone's house, I'm blown away by the amount of commercials. I'm simply not used to it anymore. I don't use any of these live TV services. For sports, I stream. For TV shows that aren't covered by Hulu, I download and stream over a Plex media server to any device in my house. Same thing with movies that aren't available on Netflix.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
What’s better the for this firestick or Apple TV? Btw thanks guys for all the tips.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What’s better the for this firestick or Apple TV? Btw thanks guys for all the tips.

Trying to remember from the gaming thread, but don't you have a PS4? Since Sony dumped Vue (their live TV streaming service), they have begun to allow other providers on to the platform. I believe YouTube and Hulu Live are both available now (you may want to verify), and I'd guess Sling will probably be available there too soon. It's too big of a footprint to ignore.

Edit> Hulu yes, as of a month ago:

Also yes on YT:

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Roku > Firestick , yes, use Prime on the Roku. I think they sell the Ultra for $50 on sale. Best deal in ready to use set-top cord cutting boxes. Otherwise buy a new Shield, which is the best device on the market (and factor in that usually the best receivers historically are like $700-2000, so a shield is amazingly inexpensive for this tier of device).

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Dish Network for the cool kids
Lol. If you're using Dish in 2020, and not in a rural area with no other options, you probably use a Jitterbug for a cell phone.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Lol. If you're using Dish in 2020, and not in a rural area with no other options, you probably use a Jitterbug for a cell phone.
No, I demand that my guide be on one or two screens not shifting through different applications.

Also, the Dish DVR is elegant and the best in the industry

The remote is fabulous

The satellites (Joeys) are rock solid

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Roku > Firestick , yes, use Prime on the Roku. I think they sell the Ultra for $50 on sale. Best deal in ready to use set-top cord cutting boxes. Otherwise buy a new Shield, which is the best device on the market (and factor in that usually the best receivers historically are like $700-2000, so a shield is amazingly inexpensive for this tier of device).

I've never owned a Roku so I don't speak from experience but from what I read while researching an comparing....it is quite limiting on what you can add on to it. You are quite correct about the Shield but if you're not into the great gaming it also provides, you can do just as well for movies and TV shows with a far more inexpensive Android TV box. I paid about $70 for mine....sideloaded a few APKs....bought into Real_debrid and along with the great broadband Xfinity provides I can watch anything at anytime I want. Admittedly, it was a bit disappointing at first as the links provided freely by the apps were pretty unrealiable....spent way too much time finding good ones. I tried Real-Debrid on a 3 day trial and was blown away not only by the quality of their links but the quantity as well.....and for a very reasonable cost. Not arguing that Shield is anything short of being the best unit out there but if anyone looking just for a way to get movies and content from pay channels without popping $150, there are other options.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
I've never owned a Roku so I don't speak from experience but from what I read while researching an comparing....it is quite limiting on what you can add on to it. You are quite correct about the Shield but if you're not into the great gaming it also provides, you can do just as well for movies and TV shows with a far more inexpensive Android TV box. I paid about $70 for mine....sideloaded a few APKs....bought into Real_debrid and along with the great broadband Xfinity provides I can watch anything at anytime I want. Admittedly, it was a bit disappointing at first as the links provided freely by the apps were pretty unrealiable....spent way too much time finding good ones. I tried Real-Debrid on a 3 day trial and was blown away not only by the quality of their links but the quantity as well.....and for a very reasonable cost. Not arguing that Shield is anything short of being the best unit out there but if anyone looking just for a way to get movies and content from pay channels without popping $150, there are other options.

Roku has more apps than any of them, including all of the majors. The only thing you can't do is jailbreak and install something like Kodi. I have all the major devices, Roku is the best for ready-to-go set-tops under $100. You'd have to point to another android device and stream to TV, which IMO is stupid, but some people have an extra phone laying around. That's not something I condone.

As far as an android tv device, I use a number of them myself, rk3399 powered units, amlogics including a few S922X powered devices as well. They are good, but I would never suggest someone start with one unless they already know their way around the nuts and bolts of android, and not just googling a guide and using installers.

Fire TVs are ok. but I run into this problem constantly with people I know who have a jailbroken Fire Stick, or something that they can't figure out. The fixes are usually simple, but it's seriously annoying. Plus the hardware is pretty slow. I don't LOVE Roku, but if you get the newest Ultra, I'm going to stand by it. You can't beat what you're getting.