At What Point Are You Done With The Bears?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Is switching a team a thing in the US, especially based on them not winning for a bit???

Certainly in Europe, you are generally born into supporting a club, and you die supporting the same one - how seriously you take the highs and lows is up to you, but I've never really entertained the thought that there was a choice??

I randomly picked the Bears when the NFL came to UK TV in the eighties - it subsequently led me to visit the States to watch them, ended up living in Chicago for a year and continue to tune in every week.

I certainly don't have the same passion that I do for my local football (soccer) club, whee I've had the same season ticket for 30 odd years, but can't think why I would change - it definitely wouldn't be to chase after a winning team

That's not what I'm talking about. I really don't know anyone that's done that.

Bearcub13

Liked Posts:
So, I was in first grade when the Bears won their last pre-Super Bowl championship. I had not yet been caught by the Bears Bug, but the next year I started paying attention to the NFL and then had to endure 22 years until the next championship. But there was a ten year period when the Bears were kicking ass and taking names before they slumped back to at best a mediocre team. Then the Bears made it to the super Bowl in 2005 and gave us a truly fun defense with Urlacher and Peanut, etc...for about 5 years. Since then it has been mostly down with a few bright spots, truly thought we were going to make some noise in the post-season in 2018, the double doink took care of that. Here is my point, you are either a Bears fan or not. Teams cycle in the NFL as much as Bear haters don't like it, the Bears will be back (Green Bay had a horrible run in the 70s & 80s, look at them now), if the Bears have to win to hold your attention then you are not a Bears fan, that is OK, no law says you go to be a fan. But I got to see Sayers, Butkus, Payton, Hampton, Fridge & Urlacher, play in person, and I am thankful for the opportunity. Go Bears!

DeerBrinker34

Liked Posts:
At what point is enough enough? Or are you planning on spending the rest of your days praying the McCaskey family gets a clue?

Honest question.
I personally enjoy disappointment, so I'm in it for the long haul.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
I treat it the same why I do with the Bulls... When the Bulls were really bad, I was still a fan, I just didn't waste my time watching them all the time. Maybe had them on in the background.

Same with the Bears... When they are absolutely awful, I just watch them less. Good thing for me is that I'm a big fan of football overall.. So I can still enjoy watching other good matchups and ditch the Bears game.
Exactly this. And as others said, family and friends are all Bears fans so it's a fun pastime to wallow in the misery together and it actually makes the times when they are good even more fun - that's sort of what being a fan is all about.

The NFL is very enjoyable to watch(although some of the rules and refereeing struggles, as well as WFT type cover ups are stressing that), so I usually just enjoy the league as a whole when the Bears struggle.

In the end, it's a hobby so I don't really get too worked up about it.

abegibronlives

Liked Posts:
At what point is enough enough? Or are you planning on spending the rest of your days praying the McCaskey family gets a clue?

Honest question.

It's easy to root for a team when things are good. That's why people hop on bandwagons.

If you're a true fan, you stick with your team no matter how bad things get. That doesn't mean you don't grumble and complain, that's every fan's right.

If you just give up and walk away, however, then maybe you're one of those bandwagon people after all.

My two cents.

jive

Liked Posts:
It's easy to root for a team when things are good. That's why people hop on bandwagons.

If you're a true fan, you stick with your team no matter how bad things get. That doesn't mean you don't grumble and complain, that's every fan's right.

If you just give up and walk away, however, then maybe you're one of those bandwagon people after all.

My two cents.
I wouldn't give up and walk away, but there is a point where you might need to dial back the zeal.
If my son were a crack addict, the last thing I'd do is give him money to buy more crack. Even though I have the money, and want to give it to him, I don't want him to use it to destroy himself. Maybe I'm crazy (my wife thinks so), but I feel like the time and money fans have spent over decades haven't been used to build a winning team or even something somewhat respectable.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

My two cents.

By being a bandwagon jumper, you also miss the build up. There is something to, as a fan, seeing SOMETHING special on your team, even in one area, and the anticipation leading up to the payoff and being on that journey.

For me, that was the last 4 games of 2004 and seeing the defense finally click - and then seeing that this team, which looked awful all year, actually had a Super bowl caliber defense - they just needed to get used to playing in the scheme.

Told everyone that offseason that the Bears would be in the Superbowl in 2 years. Most didn't believe me because a lot of Bears fans thrive on negativity to the point where it stifles their objectivity.

2 years later, and they were Superbowl-bound.

You just don't get that level of satisfaction from bandwagon-jumping...

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
By being a bandwagon jumper, you also miss the build up. There is something to, as a fan, seeing SOMETHING special on your team, even in one area, and the anticipation leading up to the payoff and being on that journey.

For me, that was the last 4 games of 2004 and seeing the defense finally click - and then seeing that this team, which looked awful all year, actually had a Super bowl caliber defense - they just needed to get used to playing in the scheme.

Told everyone that offseason that the Bears would be in the Superbowl in 2 years. Most didn't believe me because a lot of Bears fans thrive on negativity to the point where it stifles their objectivity.

2 years later, and they were Superbowl-bound.

You just don't get that level of satisfaction from bandwagon-jumping...

For the record - I see similar potential in Fields. But it's going to depend on getting the right coach, him in the right system, and him better protection before I feel comfortable saying what Fields WILL become.

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes

Honest question.
What does "enough is enough" mean to you though? Are you asking if people are going to root for another team, are they going to stop buying tickets or stop watching, etc...?

For me, I cant root for another team, it wont ever feel right. but my "enough is enough" is no merch, no tickets, will not pay for any packages to watch them from out of state. I will not monetarily support that franchise whatsoever until it starts to turn things around.

We always hear the term "its a business" when they don't sign/re-sign high price players coaches or whatever spending they are doing to convince the fan base that its whats best for the team and then continue to play like trash which results in another losing season. Me, as a fan also want to use "its a business" in my favor and as a consumer, why would I want to continually spend on something that is not good and where I am not getting what I pay for. Imagine spending money at a restaurant you know has poor quality food, tasted like crap and gives you no enjoyment, that would be pretty silly to do.

Im not asking for anything unreasonable either, i just want to see them make the division competitive year over year, stop being a sub .500 team, make the playoffs every couple years at least. if they can do that then i can support it with my hard earned money.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers
As long as they don't turn into a religious organization instead of a football team like the Texans, I'll be here.

jive

Liked Posts:
We always hear the term "its a business" when they don't sign/re-sign high price players coaches or whatever spending they are doing to convince the fan base that its whats best for the team and then continue to play like trash which results in another losing season. Me, as a fan also want to use "its a business" in my favor and as a consumer, why would I want to continually spend on something that is not good and where I am not getting what I pay for. Imagine spending money at a restaurant you know has poor quality food, tasted like crap and gives you no enjoyment, that would be pretty silly to do.
It's worse when that restaurant tells you that they will make it up to you, provide a better experience, yada yada and then serve the same crap or worse the next visit.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I will never not be a bears fan. But I’m old enough to not really give af one way or the other. They are good they got my attention. They are shit I have Sunday ticket and a life don’t need to waste it on a football team

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

My two cents.
Haha. Pretty sure I’m not one of those bandwagon people.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What does "enough is enough" mean to you though? Are you asking if people are going to root for another team, are they going to stop buying tickets or stop watching, etc...?

For me, I cant root for another team, it wont ever feel right. but my "enough is enough" is no merch, no tickets, will not pay for any packages to watch them from out of state. I will not monetarily support that franchise whatsoever until it starts to turn things around.

Im not asking for anything unreasonable either, i just want to see them make the division competitive year over year, stop being a sub .500 team, make the playoffs every couple years at least. if they can do that then i can support it with my hard earned money.
Yeah enough is enough is a little open ended. Leaves more room for responses.

Anyone who switches teams though is kinda nuts IMO.