Austin Daye Interview

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
http://www.hoopsworld.com/video/index.asp?mm_file_id=1564&play_clip=Y

Seems like a good kid. He says he's 6'11 with a 7'4 span and 200 lbs. Obviously needs to gain more weight, but he's be a solid fit on the floor with Rose as a 3/4 combo kind of guy. Pretty much deadeye from 3 as well, so he could be useful to spread the floor. If he comes back for his junior year and the Zags actually feature the kid then he'd likely be top 12 or so for sure.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
DX points out some good stuff:
Daye uses the third least possessions amongst college players on our list at 12.6 per game, but his 49% shooting percentage in logged games places him above average on our list. At 6’10, Daye’s 63% shooting as a finisher and 44% on both catch and shoot and pull up jumpers should give him excellent potential in the eyes of NBA decision-makers. However, his body gives them reason for pause, and will make them wonder if he can translate his talents to the much more physically demanding style of the NBA.
http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Austin-Daye-1316/

Kind of gives a little credit to him when he talks about how Gonzaga gave alot more responsibility to the seniors than him.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
He is someone I am real curious about. The matchup things you can do with him, the ability to stroke it from 3 point line is huge with Rose, the uptempo style of offense we play suits him. Only thing is I don't have a real read on where he gets drafted in the first round. I could see anywhere from 14-28. At 26 if there he is a no brainer. At 16 I have to think and it depends on who else is on the board. But if Blair, Williams those types are gone by 16 then Daye could be our guy at 16.

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
I would love to get this guy with the 16th pick. He knows his main responsibility is to gain muscle. He can do it because it's not rocket science. He'll have the money to get strength workouts in. I think he's a Gar talent and a Paxson personality. If they're serious about not trading up in the draft to get Blair, then this is the kid to get with the 16th overall pick. Lets keep it real, Austin would have been a top 5 pick next year. I would love the Bulls to use him like Jazz uses Okur. The pick-and-pop style is more suited for him next year being he won't be fully developed. Tyrus Thomas is the wrong guy to be taking them shots. Him and Tyrus almost has the same build. It's just Tyrus is more explosive and shorter. Oh, I almost forgot, Tyrus does have disadvantages compared to Daye. He's less skilled than Daye and doesn't have Daye touch on the release.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Simeon2UC wrote:
I would love to get this guy with the 16th pick. He knows his main responsibility is to gain muscle. He can do it because it's not rocket science. He'll have the money to get strength workouts in. I think he's a Gar talent and a Paxson personality. If they're serious about not trading up in the draft to get Blair, then this is the kid to get with the 16th overall pick. Lets keep it real, Austin would have been a top 5 pick next year.
I like this kind of thinking. Remember last year with Griffin? We were talking about him declaring and having a chance of getting him at 9, and now look where he is. While I don't think Daye will be the number one pick or anything, there's no secret that he has a good chance of going alot higher next year if he stays, so you could be getting great value in the future if you wait it out with him.

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
IF he even makes it to 16 now, lol.
-Austin Daye is another player with some strong hype at the moment. “He’s the most skilled player in the draft” one executive told us recently. “He’s not as soft as people think. He’s going to get drafted between 10 and 15. If he works out great, he may even go earlier.”

Daye’s upside seems to be creeping his stock closer to the lottery, as teams evaluate him side by side with some of the more mature prospects in this draft and wonder if what you’re seeing with them is all you’re going to get. “There aren’t that many players in this draft with star potential,” one scout told us. “He looks great in workouts, but is that really a surprise?”
http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/#NBA-Draft-Roundup-May-20-3224

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
ryguy24 wrote:
Simeon2UC wrote:
I would love to get this guy with the 16th pick. He knows his main responsibility is to gain muscle. He can do it because it's not rocket science. He'll have the money to get strength workouts in. I think he's a Gar talent and a Paxson personality. If they're serious about not trading up in the draft to get Blair, then this is the kid to get with the 16th overall pick. Lets keep it real, Austin would have been a top 5 pick next year.
I like this kind of thinking. Remember last year with Griffin? We were talking about him declaring and having a chance of getting him at 9, and now look where he is. While I don't think Daye will be the number one pick or anything, there's no secret that he has a good chance of going alot higher next year if he stays, so you could be getting great value in the future if you wait it out with him.

That's exactly what you're getting, talent and upside with this kid. I can't imagine Gar omitting him on their draft board. Daye's coach said, he'll not have the opportunity of experiencing Daye full potential because he'll be gone to the NBA by then.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
A 6'10" kid that's probably 200 pounds soaking wet shouldn't even be in the discussion. He's a pretty good workout player, he excels when he's able to stand on a court by himself and knockdown open shots. Unfortunately, when you put defense on this kid he tends to shrink beofre your very eyes. With the makeup of the Bulls roster, I don't really think it makes alot of sense to even bring this kid in for a workout.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
We're talking about the guy whom blocks numerous shots against Arizona's Hill? If we're talking about him then you lost me. Daye doesn't have to shine right away. He's not a finished product far as physicality. I'm confident his game will excel next to Rose a starting Caliber Point Guard and not Jeremy Pargo whom I think is a early second rounder. You basically just described Dirk Nowitzki in his first year in the league. Now look at him, he knows how to play and Daye clearly can play with his knowledge and skill-set. You can't get any better talent at the 16th pick.

Manic Devourer

Liked Posts:
The difference between Tyrus and Daye is that, Daye doesn't need to get stronger right away because you can play him at small forward and he won't take as much of a pounding as being a ig man playing in the paint - so in a way you can protect him from getting abused by using him at small forward early in his career until he bulks up.

Daye is the prototypcial type of player of the NBA player of this day and age. He is taller, and will likely be a tall small forward or a face to the basket big man for his career. He'll be a Rashard Lewis type, but could be even better. Again, 'could';being the key word, who knows with these kids, some people get it right away, so take a few years, and some never get it at all.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Someone could play him at SF, but we don't seem like a team that would have minutes available to do that.

I haven't scouted Daye yet, but when reading about him I thought he sounded like a kid with great upside. At the same time, you could say the same thing about BJ Mullens. I think the Bulls avoid Daye at 16 for the same reason they avoid Mullens.

They don't want a 3-4 year project right now.

Dpauley23

Liked Posts:
He doesn't seem like long project. He seems like a guy who has tons of skills, but teams are turned off by how weak he is. He could easily put on enough muscle to be good when year 3 comes along